[Official] AMD Radeon HD 7950/7970/7990 Owners Thread - Page 1279 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #12781 of 38740 Old 07-02-2012, 12:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hi All,

Apologies for the delayed response.

Got my crossfire's 7970 Top's in action by using the 11.12 drivers (cd Drivers)

So far only had 1 BSOD from Mirror's Edge when attempting to run it, restart - try to run it again and its fine. strange.....

Metro 2033 - 2560xres 4xAA 8xAS everything on High, little jerky here and there.
Starcraft 2 - no probs
COD - Black Ops - no probs
Assassin's Creed - no probs
Bioshock 2 - no probs - everything maxed

Now the fun one, BF3 - diabled ULPS as many of you suggested and that got me INTO the game. start campaign 1st level on top of the train fine, soon as he kicks through the window the flickering starts and you can barely see the screen, enabling vertical sync - snapped it out and could see everything fine. Ultra settings on 2560xRes went to console and did the render.drawfps la la, to see the frame rate and to my shock - 30 in top right corner..... played up until the part where on the roof and a sniper is taking pot shots and still the whole time i barely saw it go past 35FPS, it was averaging 30 FPS....Saw it flick to 35fps for like 2 seconds.... but majority of the whole time it was at 30fps.

Now please tell me i have missed some setting change somewhere, because if you tell me thats what you get with 2x7970 top's crossfire, then.....ahhhhh......yeah, thats just not right!!!!!

Crossfire - 100% Enabled, in GPUZ - Enabled (2 GPU's)
CCC Overdrive is on, fans set to auto. - Crossfire enabled (checked)
ULPS Disabled via Trixx AND regedit
Both cards reading at 300MHZ on idle, GPU1 Usage was at 99% while GPU2 was at about 55 - 80% most of the time. the cards haven't gone over 70degrees at all...
TdrDelay has been set to 10.

Ideas? Advice?

Haven't tried the 12.7 drivers as yet, since i just did a fresh install of windows and decided to use the cd drivers to check stability.
Ungine Heaven 3.0 -2560xRes, 4xAA, no Tess - gave me 127.7 Fps - which i am thinking is a little low.....after if gave that score i had left my machine, come back to find that it had crashed in auto with the score still on the screen at stage 5 - 6.

Trying to replicate that crash and it seems to happen mostly on stage 5 - 6, 20 - 21 and 25 - 26. always in these same spots depending on the different types of settings i pick, tess,aa, as, screen res.

I have probably done about 30 - 40 runs, to which about 5 i have saved the tests, should i post them up so you all can see?

Oh almost forgot - running everything stock, no changes made to any clock or voltage..

Any advice, thoughts, much appreciated..

k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12782 of 38740 Old 07-02-2012, 12:51 AM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Liked: 1381
Quote:
Originally Posted by paralogixer View Post

lm*ao.
It was on + 20%.
And now it "throttles" at stock _too_ on Furmark and heaven mad.gif

You're doing something wrong.

I sure as heck don't get throttling in Heaven, but Furmark is a known throttled app by both AMD and Nvidia.

On my way to this run:

I hit this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattser93 View Post

My questions was whether or not you can do a complete unlock of the card with zero user limitations.
Theoretically, +20% could still be throttling if the overclock is still exceeding the +20% TDP. I'm curious if there's something that allows a complete power limit unlock. If the +20% limit is enough to remove all throttling when overclocking, my question is moot.

The card is protected by a combo of driver and hardware safeties. You cannot defeat them without hard modding. +20 is enough for even the extreme setups imo as evidenced above. Only time you want to defeat them is when you start putting the gpus under cold.

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant 

post #12783 of 38740 Old 07-02-2012, 12:58 AM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousPop View Post

Hi All,
Apologies for the delayed response.
Got my crossfire's 7970 Top's in action by using the 11.12 drivers (cd Drivers)
So far only had 1 BSOD from Mirror's Edge when attempting to run it, restart - try to run it again and its fine. strange.....
Metro 2033 - 2560xres 4xAA 8xAS everything on High, little jerky here and there.
Starcraft 2 - no probs
COD - Black Ops - no probs
Assassin's Creed - no probs
Bioshock 2 - no probs - everything maxed
Now the fun one, BF3 - diabled ULPS as many of you suggested and that got me INTO the game. start campaign 1st level on top of the train fine, soon as he kicks through the window the flickering starts and you can barely see the screen, enabling vertical sync - snapped it out and could see everything fine. Ultra settings on 2560xRes went to console and did the render.drawfps la la, to see the frame rate and to my shock - 30 in top right corner..... played up until the part where on the roof and a sniper is taking pot shots and still the whole time i barely saw it go past 35FPS, it was averaging 30 FPS....Saw it flick to 35fps for like 2 seconds.... but majority of the whole time it was at 30fps.
Now please tell me i have missed some setting change somewhere, because if you tell me thats what you get with 2x7970 top's crossfire, then.....ahhhhh......yeah, thats just not right!!!!!
Crossfire - 100% Enabled, in GPUZ - Enabled (2 GPU's)
CCC Overdrive is on, fans set to auto. - Crossfire enabled (checked)
ULPS Disabled via Trixx AND regedit
Both cards reading at 300MHZ on idle, GPU1 Usage was at 99% while GPU2 was at about 55 - 80% most of the time. the cards haven't gone over 70degrees at all...
TdrDelay has been set to 10.
Ideas? Advice?
Haven't tried the 12.7 drivers as yet, since i just did a fresh install of windows and decided to use the cd drivers to check stability.
Ungine Heaven 3.0 -2560xRes, 4xAA, no Tess - gave me 127.7 Fps - which i am thinking is a little low.....after if gave that score i had left my machine, come back to find that it had crashed in auto with the score still on the screen at stage 5 - 6.
Trying to replicate that crash and it seems to happen mostly on stage 5 - 6, 20 - 21 and 25 - 26. always in these same spots depending on the different types of settings i pick, tess,aa, as, screen res.
I have probably done about 30 - 40 runs, to which about 5 i have saved the tests, should i post them up so you all can see?
Oh almost forgot - running everything stock, no changes made to any clock or voltage..
Any advice, thoughts, much appreciated..

Did you install the CAP from the AMD website? Sometimes I make that common mistake as well. If you don't install the CAP after installing the driver, you'll only get the performance of 1 card, instead of both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12784 of 38740 Old 07-02-2012, 02:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3t4lh34d View Post

Did you install the CAP from the AMD website? Sometimes I make that common mistake as well. If you don't install the CAP after installing the driver, you'll only get the performance of 1 card, instead of both.

MetalHead - which one?

I've installed 11.12 drivers (from CD) will installing 12.7Cap 1 still work correctly?

I'll give it a crack now and see what happens and will post if any difference.

thanks,

k
post #12785 of 38740 Old 07-02-2012, 02:31 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

You're doing something wrong.
I sure as heck don't get throttling in Heaven, but Furmark is a known throttled app by both AMD and Nvidia.

I'd be glad to hear what exactly wubsmiley.gif

Xfire = sirjanne thumb.gif
post #12786 of 38740 Old 07-02-2012, 02:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

ok installed the 12.7 CAP 1 (0.5MB)

Thought it was working, in the train at the start 40FPS 2560xRes ultra settings, looking better than before.

Go to the part when in the APC and those 3 guys talking, it was sitting at 30 FPS got outside and it dropped to about 25FPS.

dropped the res to 1920x1080 - FPS jumped to 40ish.

OK is it me or am i expecting too much from these cards? anyone with crossfire 2 of these getting similar FPS? if so then i know the cards are working as expected.
also, game still crashed shortly after changing the res settings during the game.

Heaven 3.0 still crashes during benchmark at stage 21. with 2560xRes, etrem tess, 8xAA and 16xAS

nothing running in background (gpuz, trix etc)

Fans set to auto via CCC and Trix (trix not running though)

trying to run a heaven bench now.....

and whoooaaaaa, ok looks like my 2nd Card just went MIA! was wondering why on default settings with 2560xRes only 62 FPS!!!

thats just lovely!

k
post #12787 of 38740 Old 07-02-2012, 02:51 AM

Liked: 1084
Quote:

ok installed the 12.7 CAP 1 (0.5MB)
Thought it was working, in the train at the start 40FPS 2560xRes ultra settings, looking better than before.
Go to the part when in the APC and those 3 guys talking, it was sitting at 30 FPS got outside and it dropped to about 25FPS.
dropped the res to 1920x1080 - FPS jumped to 40ish.
OK is it me or am i expecting too much from these cards? anyone with crossfire 2 of these getting similar FPS? if so then i know the cards are working as expected.
also, game still crashed shortly after changing the res settings during the game.
Heaven 3.0 still crashes during benchmark at stage 21. with 2560xRes, etrem tess, 8xAA and 16xAS
nothing running in background (gpuz, trix etc)
Fans set to auto via CCC and Trix (trix not running though)
trying to run a heaven bench now.....
and whoooaaaaa, ok looks like my 2nd Card just went MIA! was wondering why on default settings with 2560xRes only 62 FPS!!!
thats just lovely!

I suggest you install 12.6 whql or 12.7 beta from AMD website. First test each card separately and make sure they are very stable. then test in CF. A single HD 7970 at 1 Ghz can do 40+ fps at 1600p Ultra 4X MSAA. There is definitely a problem with your setup with such low FPS. you can first start by testing single card with 12.6 whql or 12.7 beta and use the 12.7 CAP1 (Catalyst application profiles).

post #12788 of 38740 Old 07-02-2012, 02:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post

I suggest you install 12.6 whql or 12.7 beta from AMD website. First test each card separately and make sure they are very stable. then test in CF. A single HD 7970 at 1 Ghz can do 40+ fps at 1600p Ultra 4X MSAA. There is definitely a problem with your setup with such low FPS. you can first start by testing single card with 12.6 whql or 12.7 beta and use the 12.7 CAP1 (Catalyst application profiles).

What would you consider as a stable run?

Just ran heaven bench with 1 card. 2560xRes with default settings 62FPS.

Should i let it run for an hour on each card on auto through heaven?

k
post #12789 of 38740 Old 07-02-2012, 04:59 AM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Liked: 65
Quote:

MetalHead - which one?
I've installed 11.12 drivers (from CD) will installing 12.7Cap 1 still work correctly?
I'll give it a crack now and see what happens and will post if any difference.
thanks,

Yeah, that's a very strange situation. If you installed the CAP from the site you should see scaling. A way to see if your cards are actually scaling and doing their job is to install MSI Afterburner, and use the OSD monitoring that it comes with watch the GPU usage percentage (%) while you're gaming. I use it often to gauge how well a certain game is working with my cards, or if I'm experiencing a CPU bottleneck or something of the sort. Although that's the entire reason I upgraded from my P67 WS Revolution rig with 3 7970s to this X79 Rampage IV rig with 4 680s, and I've had mixed results. There will always be issues with crossfire and SLI, but as far as your issue is concerned, gaming maxed out @ 2560x1440+ with everything turned up is not an easy task, even for 2 680s or 2 7970s. It SHOULD be able to run 60fps avg, but you will see dips below that. However, in your case, seeing 30fps constant is more on par with a single 7970 at those settings and resolution, which leads me to believe you're having scaling issues. Is your CPU overclocked? If not, perhaps try a small OC, as it may help bring frames up a bit. Although I don't think that is the root cause of your problems. I would definitely try a few different drivers before giving up. Try the 12.6 or 12.7 betas.
post #12790 of 38740 Old 07-02-2012, 05:40 AM

Liked: 7
In the never ending saga to find the problem with my system (Sapphire 7950 OC), just wondering if someone could answer a question I had. If my PSU passes benchmarks at my highest stable overclocks, can I blame graphical anomalies on it being faulty? I have had 1200Mhz on the core and 1700Mhz on the memory solid as a rock with no faults in the graphics department. But ever since installing the newer driver builds, and then every driver build previous to them on fresh Windows installs, I have (as I have hassled about on here numerous times, apologies) weird shadow effects and flickering. The most common way to describe it is like a heat haze, and also there are faint diagonal bars through the shadows. On heaven, I get a blurry black bar at the bottom of the screen, which is half transparent, but definitely noticeable. Also, turning off ambient occlusion in the settings alleviates most of this effect, but there is still something not right when it is off. My problem with this, is that it never happened prior to a week or so ago, and it happens at stock clocks, and it doesn't seem to be the card because I have tested another one and it does the same thing. My onboard GPU does not seem to display the same effects, but they are Intel drivers. So, my only conclusion is that the drivers are bananas or that my PSU is failing, while allowing my 4.5Ghz OC on the CPU and 1200Mhz OC on the GPU to pass benchmarks with the same scores as when everything was great.

I haven't got another PSU to test, unfortunately. Any ideas how I could narrow down the issue further? I have put it down to drivers, or PSU.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page