is 92c too hot for a gpu? - Page 3 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #21 of 29 Old 02-10-2012, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
1.3ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 4
well i have my gpu2 card fan running at 70% and my gpu 1 card is at a constant 80-82 C and my gpu2 card is at a stable 70-72 C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 02-10-2012, 05:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3130
Quote:
Originally Posted by pn0yb0i View Post

Make a fan profile in afterburner. Set it so that the curve when 80*C make the fan go 100%

100% fan speed on reference 6950/70s is hideously loud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nifatech2120 View Post

In my experiances the Radeon HD 6800 and 6900 series cards lost stability at 80C and above.
They REALLY dont like heat.

They should be stable at stock clocks well into the 90s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amstech View Post

How close together are your GPU's?
Some of those CrossfireX/SLi boards have the slots too close.
I would say its not as typical anymore like it was 3-5 years ago.
Smaller die's do help with temps and power no doubt.
Some chips can take 90c all day long, some crash at anything over 80c.
Eventually you will probably swell or pop a cap on the chip.

~90C is 100% normal for reference 69xx cards under load as the stock fan profile is set to keep them around that point.

Actual heat output is irrelevant (and is much higher than it was 3-5 years ago anyway), as the default profile keeps the fan speed low to keep the cards from sounding like a tornado.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #23 of 29 Old 02-11-2012, 08:26 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

~90C is 100% normal for reference 69xx cards under load as the stock fan profile is set to keep them around that point.
Yeah my 6970 was annoyingly loud, even at stock clocks.
Didnt go anywhere near 90c though. Ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

Actual heat output is irrelevant (and is much higher than it was 3-5 years ago anyway), as the default profile keeps the fan speed low to keep the cards from sounding like a tornado.
Nothing will touch the GF-100's or older Radeons when it comes to heat output.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 Old 02-11-2012, 10:03 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nifatech2120 View Post

In my experiances the Radeon HD 6800 and 6900 series cards lost stability at 80C and above.
They REALLY dont like heat.

lolwhat

6970s easily hit 90c on auto fan. AMD set it so the fan doesnt actually start cranking up until 90c exactly. Maybe you were overclocking? Because at stock they are perfectly fine at even 95c, no instability at all. A custom fan profile obviously keeps the card much cooler.

Cayman was large and hot. AMD pushed it the 40nm node quite far with it

Tahiti on the other hand does not like heat. Although they tend to run much cooler anyway
post #25 of 29 Old 02-11-2012, 08:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3130
Quote:
Originally Posted by amstech View Post

Nothing will touch the GF-100's or older Radeons when it comes to heat output.

GF100 maybe not, but the 69xx's Cayman is the hottest GPU ATI/AMD has had thus far.

Even the infamously hot HD 2900s don't really put out much heat by modern standards, they just aren't cooled very well by modern standards either.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #26 of 29 Old 02-13-2012, 02:45 AM
Overclock.net Addict

Liked: 48
I'd try to keep any video card under 80c.. 80c is the highest a GPU should be getting.
post #27 of 29 Old 02-13-2012, 07:29 PM
3.0ghz

Liked: 63
^^ please dont misslead the information, you'll be fine up to 95c smile.gif, and your card shouldn go above 40c load, yours is very hot if it hits 80c wink.gif,.. mid to highend card runs hot thumb.gif

it comes to personal preference smile.gif, i wouldnt mine running my card as high as 90-95c, but, only if its under very stressful load (furmark/kombustor). I have enough experience with ATI/Nvidia gpu, since X1650/FX5700 until ATI 48xx and geforce 4xx generation, and those are damn hot card biggrin.gif,... run my 4890 in backup rig ~90c for years, still rocking..

90-95c for a stock cooled gpu is completely fine, no really, absolutely ok, just read online review, they have like 75-85c on their test bench, its open, imagine if its inside a case wink.gif

but,.. the issue with 90c gpu is that it will produce heat to its pcb's and spread it to the rest of your component, you wouldnt like hot air goin around inside the case either,.. so airflow is very important thumb.gif,.. my max cpu load with IBT is 67c, but when i game, it goes as high as 74c frown.gif, blame the gpu.

and keep watching on your VRM, will go 120c in a blink of an eye wink.gif, if not cooled properly.

thx
flo

30c Ambient
post #28 of 29 Old 02-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Security Sleuth

Liked: 65
It's all personal preference. ATI/AMD cards are made to run hotter than Nvidia counter parts, but even at that, I wouldn't want my GPU hitting over 80ish C even if it was able to withstand it, all heat is going to do is reduce the longetivity of your hardware regardless what anyone thinks. More heat, shorter life span on basically anything mechanical/electronical. And that's been proven for years and years.

"My PC is a work of art, it shall never be disrespected placed on the floor. If anything it would be placed on a pedestal.
post #29 of 29 Old 02-13-2012, 11:09 PM
4.0 GHz

Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsagna View Post

It's all personal preference. ATI/AMD cards are made to run hotter than Nvidia counter parts, but even at that, I wouldn't want my GPU hitting over 80ish C even if it was able to withstand it, all heat is going to do is reduce the longetivity of your hardware regardless what anyone thinks. More heat, shorter life span on basically anything mechanical/electronical. And that's been proven for years and years.

Yes its true that heat will shorten the life span but in the case ATI cards it does not mater as cards that hit 90°C will still last for a long time. I know a guy how run some highly OC'd 8800GTS in SLI and hitting high 80's. One of the cards finally failed after 5 years of torture. If you look around you will see a lot of better cooled cards failing before 5 years that is if someone holds on to the card that long.

The XFX 4890 post 2 year reference cooler fan bearing service
NZXT Tempest Community
[Worklog] NZXT Tempest eats a 360 rad (hopefully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjas go_quote.gif

you under-estimate the power of e-peen, you'll whither and waiver to it's power, and finally succumb.
Bow to e-peen and buy.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page