Gigabyte Radeon 5870 Stuttering Help - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-26-2012, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, I'm new here, and was hoping I would be able to get some help with an Issue I've been having for some time, I have a Gigabyte GV-R587UD-1GD Radeon 5870 Card, and I am experiencing major performance issues with stuttering/ freezing. Usually whenever I go through a doorway, or combat scene, ect.

My old 8800GT Outperforms this card with regard to smoothness and playability. I have tried this card in My other system also, with the Core i7 860 CPU, I can play on max settings with my GTX 275, however as soon as i swap that for the 5870, the game runs like crap.

I have been testing with COD Black Ops, I want to use this card in my main system, I have a Gigabyte GA 990FXA UD3 Motherboard, Phenom 1090t cpu, Corsair Force 3 SSD, 1.5TB WD Green hdd, 8GB Kingston HyperX Memory. Resolution is 1920x1080. Latest ATI Drivers installed. I have read many posts and tried many suggestions, I'll list what issues I have eliminated, as they do not change performance at all.

Disable Vsync - No difference
Run off of SSD instead of green WD HDD
Lower resolution/ AA (shouldnt have to, but still no difference)
All chipset drivers are up to date and installed.
Tried different Power supplies (even though it uses less power than the GTX 275)

I'm almost thinking its driver related or something, I seem to have better results without the drivers even installed. So far, I am really not impressed as this is the first ATI card i have had in many years, but I understand something is definitely not normal here. Whatever system I install this in, I get very bad stuttering, I don't know what else to try or do, as it seems to be definitely directly related to this 5870 card, any feedback or suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks!

If there's anything else I need to add, please let me know, I'm pretty tired now and forgetting a lot lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-26-2012, 03:40 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 78
do you have a spare hdd, do a fresh install

devil.gifWe Are The Red Tidedevil.gif

Remember if someone gave you a hand give them rep
post #3 of 10 Old 02-26-2012, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

thanks, this was a fresh install about a month ago, but I do have a spare, and I will give it a try, i'm at a total loss, thanks!

Actually, i forgot tomention I'm running Win7 Ultimate64

I did a clean install of XP 32 bit about 3 days ago, the game was still hardly playable, but I'll give it a try with Win7 again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-26-2012, 04:12 AM
4.0ghz

make sure you install the drivers for your mobo, and get the latest ati drivers.
i had one it worked fine.

post #5 of 10 Old 02-26-2012, 04:12 AM

Liked: 960

Start fresh with new graphics card is easier and will save you alot of times with troubleshooting.

What I mean by fresh is, reformat, fresh OS install, install motherboard and chipset drivers, update all Windows components including SP1 + and re-install the games. The reason to re-install the game is for the games to take new configuration. A lot of us customized/modified games in the .cfg files as read only. If so, the games will start with previous configurations and with saved games. Unless you know what you modified/changed then un-do it.

Also, avoid Driver Sweeper. Use this to clean traces graphics drivers  Atiman Uninstaller v.6.3.1

post #6 of 10 Old 02-27-2012, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys, but that still does not work! However, messing around, I did solve the issue for the most part. Turns out the new drivers do not like my system/card. If i install the drivers from the original disc, the card works great! Still the odd stutter more than even my GTX275, but it's only once or twice when starting a new level.

Now the only issue is the heat, the card will run at about 53 degrees playing Black ops, but once I put the side on it gets to 80, and blows the heat right onto my hdd's, just thought i'd ask if you guys could suggest a better cooler for the card, that directs the heat out the back, thanks again
post #7 of 10 Old 02-28-2012, 04:34 PM
4.0ghz

can we get a pic or you case please,
maybe just adding a case fan would fix the issue
sound's like a airflow issue

post #8 of 10 Old 02-29-2012, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, forget that last post about the problem being solved...... I'll tell you what I did, and where i'm at now.

As you suggested, i swapped hdd's and did a clean install of windows, removed any non essential hardware, and storage hdd's. tried drivers new and old, and settled with old. Reinstalled COD and it played great! Removed my spare hdd and did a clean install on my ssd.. Same thing, got the game working great. So, I come back today, after reassembling my pc, and it is stuttering again! did a system restore, helped a little. So i think, well, i want to play the game, so i'll throw my old hdd in, sure enough... its stuttering now too! So it would seem I have some kind of hardware problem, So i'll keep trying to hunt that down, also i forgot to mention my audio cut out also! Now I know I shouldn't have blamed the video card for everything, especially as it seems to work fine right after clean install. Any ideas what would cause the video AND audio to stutter/ cut out? And as far as my case, it is unfortunately a Cooler master silencio 550.... needless to say i run it with the side off.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-29-2012, 02:00 AM
733mhz

Liked: 11
RMA it back to gigabyte.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-01-2012, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, I actually have figured out the problem now, it was just a stupid simple thing, i keep my computers on the "power save" option, which even when gaming on my other systems usually makes little difference, however, this system stutters like crazy until I put it on high performance... I do still get the odd stutter here and there, is that normal?

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page