Games don't max out GPU - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 04-03-2012, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Games don't max GPU usage, but are also running slower than they should...Crysis 2 on ultra, good framerate, but only 80-90 percent GPU usage? meaning it could be better?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-03-2012, 12:36 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 11
How much usage for your CPU?

If theres a CPU bottleneck and you get it sorted, you might be able to get more usage out of GPU

But I doubt theres a bottleneck on your system
post #3 of 23 Old 04-03-2012, 01:01 AM
1.7ghz

Liked: 110
firstly, do u use v-sync? If yes turn it off then try. Also, make sure games you play do not have FPS cap...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 04-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Just Win Baby!

Liked: 1156
All that having <99% gpu usage means is that at one location in the overall pipeline of your GPU (the point where the measurement is taken ... wish I knew what that was, but I don't), that particular component is not running at full capacity.

Therefore, SOMEWHERE else in your PC, or even elsewhere within the card itself (for example, if you were memory capacity or bandwidth constrained), you have some kind of bottleneck going on.

Something that's important to remember is that GPU usage isn't really a measurement of the usage of your entire card, all at one time. A video card is like a miniature computer within your computer, with tons of subsystems that could act as bottlenecks and you'd not know it was happening because you're not taking usage measurements at all these subsystems, you're just measuring at one point that is 'expected' to be most representative of usage of the total card. But it's a 'guess' because different subsystems get stressed differently by different games/tests.

Driver and game code can also play a big role in how well your 'card' is being utilized in any particular game. Playing over the internet can also add potential for an additional source of BN.

So, while CPU BN is a logical 'first place' to check when your GPU usage isn't at 99%, because it's the most common source, it's FAR from the only possible source. And sometimes even a CPU BN can actually just be caused by buggy or unoptimized game code (see Skyrim for a great example ... it used to be HUGELY CPU BN'd at certain places, now it's patched, and that issue is fixed).

As long as things like Heaven and 3dMark11 tap your GPU out at 99%, then your system is almost certainly working fine. If you want to spend countless hours trying to figure out why you only get 80-90% GPU usage in Crysis 2, knock yourself out.

Here's your simple testing options:
1) bumping your overall CPU speed upwards through OC'ing,
2) switching drivers or patching the game
3) trying different game settings

to see if any have an effect of increasing GPU usage. If none of those work/help, my advice to you is to let it go. Because you can waste HOURS of your life trying to run this 'issue' down, and never find a 'solution' because it cannot be fixed by people with the expertise of you or I wink.gif

Also lower than 100% CPU Usage in Task Manager does NOT mean you DON'T have a CPU BN going on, so don't fall into the trap of thinking that.

post #5 of 23 Old 04-03-2012, 09:55 AM

Liked: 10
Its your cpu I have the EXACT same problem just sent back a 580 cause there is no point, I couldnt max it out. I would get 80-90 percent usage in crysis 2. In tera less than 50 percent its our proccessers =/ The phenoms 4 and 6 just dont have enough power anymore to push the newer cards. Im not saying they are terrible can still do in budget systems but for 100 percent usage we would need to get an i5. I will be able to show you in a week got an i5 2500k, motherboard and a h100 inc to get a good oc with.
post #6 of 23 Old 04-03-2012, 10:24 AM

Liked: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projector View Post

Its your cpu I have the EXACT same problem just sent back a 580 cause there is no point, I couldnt max it out. I would get 80-90 percent usage in crysis 2. In tera less than 50 percent its our proccessers =/ The phenoms 4 and 6 just dont have enough power anymore to push the newer cards. Im not saying they are terrible can still do in budget systems but for 100 percent usage we would need to get an i5. I will be able to show you in a week got an i5 2500k, motherboard and a h100 inc to get a good oc with.

didn't i show you that even an i7 sb was having problems with tera? the op only has a 6870. what are you talking about?

what i don't understand is why people would pair up a $100 cpu to a $500 gpu. you know, i am starting to think that you were hoping to unlock your 960 but failed. now you have sour note.
post #7 of 23 Old 04-03-2012, 10:31 AM

My 960t unlocks btw, and before I bought it I didnt even know they unlocked to 6 cores tongue.gif Im not sour at all im trying to help him its a cpu bottlneck but ye good advice and you brought a whole lot to the thread go you thumb.gif

There are plenty of other games I have bottlnecks in. The reason I have a 960t is My old system had an i5 with a p67 motherboard and a crappy 600 watt powert supply that blew the motehrboard and took the cpu and memory with it. I remember just before I got the i5 I cheaped out shamefully and got the 1090t from overclockers.co.uk and benched it in alot of games and it was a bottlneck to my 6970 no doubt about it from wow to starcraft fps and all sorts, wasnt bad but I sent i back on rma as unwanted and got the i5 a week later and even at stock destroyed the 1090t at 4ghz..
So when my system blew I had to get a cheap 960t for a quik replcament, and I GUARANTEE that I will get 100 percent usage in crysis 2 now(when my new i5 comes) instead of 80 and will have much better frames minimum and maximum. I will even do comparsion benches if you want to show you.
post #8 of 23 Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchief3k View Post

Games don't max GPU usage, but are also running slower than they should...Crysis 2 on ultra, good framerate, but only 80-90 percent GPU usage? meaning it could be better?

Don't base on Crysis 2... their engine is unoptimized. Look it up, the GPU is actually sometime choking itself in some area.

~ Nothing to see here ~
post #9 of 23 Old 04-03-2012, 10:38 AM

Liked: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projector View Post

My 960t unlocks btw, and before I bought it I didnt even know they unlocked to 6 cores tongue.gif Im not sour at all im trying to help him its a cpu bottlneck but ye good advice and you brought a whole lot to the thread go you thumb.gif
There are plenty of other games I have bottlnecks in. The reason I have a 960t is My old system had an i5 with a p67 motherboard and a crappy 600 watt powert supply that blew the motehrboard and took the cpu and memory with it. I remember just before I got the i5 I cheaped out shamefully and got the 1090t from overclockers.co.uk and benched it in alot of games and it was a bottlneck to my 6970 no doubt about it from wow to starcraft fps and all sorts, wasnt bad but I sent i back on rma as unwanted and got the i5 a week later and even at stock destroyed the 1090t at 4ghz..
So when my system blew I had to get a cheap 960t for a quik replcament, and I GUARANTEE that I will get 100 percent usage in crysis 2 now(when my new i5 comes) instead of 80 and will have much better frames minimum and maximum. I will even do comparsion benches if you want to show you.

dude, you sure are helping the op waste money on an upgrade. on another thread the op said he was getting a 6.3 gpu score on wei. i told him i get a 7.9. wei is not a good measure but there clearly is a problem with his gpu. we have members with 2 6870s and even 2 6950s paired with x6 without issues.

so, you clearly do not know what you are talking about.
post #10 of 23 Old 04-03-2012, 10:44 AM

Great I dont know what I am talking about even tho I have had experience with all 3 proccessers we are talking about. And you come in talking crap and spreading lies and not helping with anything. Calling people sour even tho you wanted to buy my 960t, I even told you it unlocks in the other thread =p But you would rather come in and start fights.
As I has said countless times its a good proccesser but not as good. He doesnt NEED an i5 the 1090t is fine so is the 960 but he would definatley see a few frames and 100 percent gpu usage from an i5. I actualy KNOW this unlike you as I have had all 3 personally and tried them in all my games.
Oh and btw op take that up to 4ghz you will see a small improvment.
Oh and the reason most 6870 users dont have issues with that procceser is becuase they dont notice it or care about it becuase they are not enthusiasts they have basic grade cards so ofcourse they are not going to care about the frames as much as the enthusiasts that need the extra cpu power and no bottlenecks.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page