So many 7970 choices, which one to choose? - Page 3 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #21 of 26 Old 08-22-2012, 11:58 AM
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hate to bring this topic back up but I think it's better than starting a new one.

I've been thinking about switching from my EVGA 680 (friend wants it) to dual 7970s and I'd also like to know the best brand. I'm debating between the Vapor-X Ghz and the MSI Lightning. I had a 5850 that was a Saphirre and I've had 3 motherboards and 2 GPUs from MSI so I'm good with both companies but it seems like a lot of the Lightnings are having trouble right? I know that the lightning costs more but I'm an idiot and I think it would almost be worth it for how sexy they look, especially with the ugly blue PCB on the Vapor-X (which the 6GB do not have mad.gif).

Also if someone has dual 7970s and games at 2560x1600 and could let me know how that goes that would be amazing. Thanks guys. thumb.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 Old 08-22-2012, 05:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandaddict View Post

Hate to bring this topic back up but I think it's better than starting a new one.
I've been thinking about switching from my EVGA 680 (friend wants it) to dual 7970s and I'd also like to know the best brand. I'm debating between the Vapor-X Ghz and the MSI Lightning. I had a 5850 that was a Saphirre and I've had 3 motherboards and 2 GPUs from MSI so I'm good with both companies but it seems like a lot of the Lightnings are having trouble right? I know that the lightning costs more but I'm an idiot and I think it would almost be worth it for how sexy they look, especially with the ugly blue PCB on the Vapor-X (which the 6GB do not have mad.gif).
Also if someone has dual 7970s and games at 2560x1600 and could let me know how that goes that would be amazing. Thanks guys. thumb.gif

I cant speak for the lightning but I can speak for the MSi 7950 Twin Frozr. I had the worst month of my life with MSi just recently. Purchased a MSi twin Frozr III 7950 and it came defective. Ran any game like complete trash. Sent it back for an RMA and bam got another card defective. Installed the new card and it artifacts. It took me about a month for x2 RMA's and to get a refund. I purchased this VisionTek 7970 and got it today and it runs smooth as butter. I got it on newegg for $370.00 with 4 free games. Could not be happier

I cant speak for MSi as a hole but the entire deal i went through I decided I will never embark with any other MSi card again.

post #23 of 26 Old 08-22-2012, 05:48 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LC4PON3 View Post

I cant speak for the lightning but I can speak for the MSi 7950 Twin Frozr. I had the worst month of my life with MSi just recently. Purchased a MSi twin Frozr III 7950 and it came defective. Ran any game like complete trash. Sent it back for an RMA and bam got another card defective. Installed the new card and it artifacts. It took me about a month for x2 RMA's and to get a refund. I purchased this VisionTek 7970 and got it today and it runs smooth as butter. I got it on newegg for $370.00 with 4 free games. Could not be happier

I cant speak for MSi as a hole but the entire deal i went through I decided I will never embark with any other MSi card again.

That's what worries me, I've been hearing a lot of bad stuff about the Twin Frozr 79xx cards. I had two of the Twin Frozr III cards before (a 560TI and a 570) and they were both solid cards with great temps. I just don't want to drop $800-$1000 on graphics cards and be unhappy.

Thanks for the feedback. Also how did you get 4 free games?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 26 Old 08-22-2012, 05:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1339

Personally? Sapphire or Gigabyte. 

Only fools do not BACKUP their DATA!.
"Everyone is an expert in something. Never approach an interaction thinking someone is otherwise. Knowledge is acquired not earned. Always be humble and wise. Never look down on others for simply being ignorant within your realm of expertise."
-
looniam ~ there's only one thing left to do:sacrifice a chicken to call upon the great Lord Xeb

Chimp Challenge Participant  10 Million+ Folding at Home points  Intel Expert Panel  Forum Folding War 2017 

post #25 of 26 Old 08-22-2012, 06:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandaddict View Post

That's what worries me, I've been hearing a lot of bad stuff about the Twin Frozr 79xx cards. I had two of the Twin Frozr III cards before (a 560TI and a 570) and they were both solid cards with great temps. I just don't want to drop $800-$1000 on graphics cards and be unhappy.
Thanks for the feedback. Also how did you get 4 free games?

The deal is expired as of now. i think I got the last one on newegg as it now says discontinued. 

post #26 of 26 Old 03-13-2013, 02:09 PM

Liked: 3
Check out this post about VAPOR X: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/392642-33-sapphire-dual-radeon-7970-sapphire-vapor-radeon-7970

Black Diamond Choke & Full Solid Cap Design

Choke is an important component of the graphics card. By working with the component engineer, Sapphire’s patent pending choke is 10% cooler and offers 25% more power efficiency than a normal choke. The graphics card will be more reliable and save energy.
Improved reliability and better overclocking are possible by using only high-polymer, aluminum capacitors which posses far superior characteristics than regular aluminum capacitor for a longer product life. When operational temperatures drop by 20°C, the product life span is extended by a factor of ten, when the operational temperature increases by 20°C, the product life span only decreases by 10%.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page