about to crossfire 6970s, have a few questions - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 49 Old 03-26-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
Graphics Card Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Hey guys hows it going? .... Iam about to order my 2nd 6970 and iam a littlw consirned about my psu, its a coolernaster gx series 750 watts or volts...can u guys recommend sonething better? I was thinking to pick up sonething in the 1000 watt range incase I decide to add a 3rd card. How well are the corsair psu for being reliable and last a decent amount of time? Feel free to give me other name brands if ud like I have nothing against any company, all iam interested in is reliability! ....,my 1st gpu is a msi radeon 6950 2gb, its unlocked to 6970 shaders and is running at 975mhz core and 1475mhz memory,powertune is set to +20%...now I can crossfire with a radeon 6970 correct? They are both cayman gpus iam just wondering if theres gonna be any conflicts between the 2?its possible I will add a 3rd card as well so keep that in mind for psu power requirements..i was and still am impressed with tgese cards performance, I bought my 1st card at a good price and akso thw 2nd will be prd decently as well crossfire scaling is great with these cards so iam hoping the 3rd card boosts perfornance even more...please dont say your better off selling your card beacuse thats not what this thread is about, iam hapopy with this kevel if perfornance so to me it makes no sence to buy say a 7970 and spend 400 dollars per gpu! Rhats 1200 dollars vs 450 dollars so ill go with the 2nd option.thank u abd I hope I didnt offend anyone with the 7970 comment,they are great cards uf u hace the money, I dont!

post-flame-small.gif_.=The Red Club=._post-flame-small.gif

Code:
Steam Id-GT40RTURBO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 03-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Database Developer

Liked: 447
You asked a lot of questions, all of them good ones.

First things first - your 750W PSU should be plenty to run two 6970 in Crossfire. Those cards have a maximum TDP of 250 watts, with typical gaming loads around 190-200 watts under full load. Even with a OC on your CPU, your total system output under load is probably under 550 watts.

Your unlocked 6950 MIGHT run Crossfire with a genuine 6970, but only if you're running a 6970 BIOS on the 6950. The driver has to recognize the card as a full 6970 in order to be paired with another 6970.

Greg

post #3 of 49 Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6212

The 750W Cooler Master GX is a junker:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=188

Although, the Bronze GX units are actually decent and can be trusted. So if you do not have the GX Bronze Series, then you need to replace it before you attempt this.

Anyway, you will need a quality-made 1000-1100W PSU for three 6970s. For two, a quality-made 650-750W PSU is enough. However, I stress quality-made. The non-Bronze 750W GX Series is not to be trusted.

How much can you spend on the PSU?

Semi-Classic Firefox Add-ons Manager (CSS script)

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 Old 03-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Liked: 64
Please format your giant wall of text

post #5 of 49 Old 03-26-2013, 11:00 AM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 14
+1 for what both Hammong and TwoCables said.

CoolerMaster PSU's are notoriously unreliable. I typically stick with XFX PSU's. I am a big fan of the brand and most of their PSU's are just Seasonic internals (a well known reliable brand) as well as being decently priced. I feel that are two parts in a PC that should ALWAYS be of known quality and that's your PSU and your CPU cooler.

For two cards you will want around a 750 watt PSU and 1000 watt for three. Newegg actually has the XFX 850 Black Edition (same one I use) on sale and with a rebate right now. I think you can pick it up for a little over $100 after all is said and done. It's fully modular and Gold certified. Pretty much a steal.

The 69xx is a good card man. If I already had it, I wouldn't get rid of it for anything else. No point in spending the money for such a little boost. I think we get too snobbish about frame rates and being able to max settings out to 11 lol. I'd wait until AT LEAST the 8970 came out and them wait 6 months for a decent price drop.

As far as will the different cards work with each other, according to the AMD crossfire chart, it SHOULD work. You have to make sure your MoBo will do 3 cards without going down to 4x though. You'll bottleneck in that instance and will defeat your purpose. 8x is fine as the 6970 won't use it all.

Do it up bro! Get a better PSU and rock those crossfired 69xx's!

devil.gif XCrossXFire ClubX devil.gif
devil-smiley-019.gifOFFICIAL AMD FX-83xx Vishera Owners Club devil-smiley-019.gif
post #6 of 49 Old 03-26-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
Graphics Card Aficionado

Haha thanks for the kind words guys, sorry if the post is a little long..... Anyway yes thia psu is bronze gx series maybe I forgot to mention sorry anout that. So if 2 cards ill be ok with this psu then ill hang on to it up until I get 3rd card.as far as budget on a psu I really dont have one,id rather invest more like u guys are saying then buy some junk that will probbly fry my components! maybe around 200 dollars id like to pay for a fullu modular psu.seasonic,corsair,rosewell, what else is good ? Xfx I like the way they make there psus!hopefully better then there gpus lol, no pun intended.yeah i love these cayman gpus they still have quite a bit of punch but dont get me wrong its not like id turn down a 7970 lol,.maybe when prices drop I might pick up a couple? Kinda bumed out about nvidia coming out wulith titan, I cant wait too.see how amds gonna respond to it! There is some fun times ahead thats for sure lol! Thanks guys I.reaaly appricate the advice and help.thumb.gif

Code:
Steam Id-GT40RTURBO
post #7 of 49 Old 03-26-2013, 11:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6212
Quote:
Originally Posted by nz3777 View Post

Haha thanks for the kind words guys, sorry if the post is a little long..... Anyway yes thia psu is bronze gx series maybe I forgot to mention sorry anout that. So if 2 cards ill be ok with this psu then ill hang on to it up until I get 3rd card.as far as budget on a psu I really dont have one,id rather invest more like u guys are saying then buy some junk that will probbly fry my components! maybe around 200 dollars id like to pay for a fullu modular psu.seasonic,corsair,rosewell, what else is good ? Xfx I like the way they make there psus!hopefully better then there gpus lol, no pun intended.yeah i love these cayman gpus they still have quite a bit of punch but dont get me wrong its not like id turn down a 7970 lol,.maybe when prices drop I might pick up a couple? Kinda bumed out about nvidia coming out wulith titan, I cant wait too.see how amds gonna respond to it! There is some fun times ahead thats for sure lol! Thanks guys I.reaaly appricate the advice and help.thumb.gif

What jerrolds is saying is, use paragraphs. When you start a new thought or new subject, start a new paragraph. Your posts are just one giant paragraph and it can be difficult to read, especially if someone is tired but they still want to help.

Anyway, I'm relieved to see that you have the GX Bronze Series. So, I recommend keeping it until you decide to add a 3rd 6970.

Semi-Classic Firefox Add-ons Manager (CSS script)

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.

post #8 of 49 Old 03-26-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
Graphics Card Aficionado

Ah ok I see now, Sorry about that majority of the time iam on OCN I use my phone so forgive my grammer and long paragraphs lol:D..I was starting to worry about this psu so iam glad you guys shed some light on the subject! If it holds me through till the 3rd card ill be more then happy,maybe use it as a spare afterwards? Anyway thanks again guys
Quote:
How do I know if I have the 6970 bios on my card? The guy that sold it to me from OCN said he flashed it so I am showing the full 1536 shaders or whatever the amount is?> Also its running at 6970 speeds if that helps any? Iam assuming worse case scenario if its not then my cards will just default to the lowest cards specs correct>? Or speed I should say?

Code:
Steam Id-GT40RTURBO
post #9 of 49 Old 03-26-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Graphics Card Aficionado

Now as far as performance goes what can one expect from running say 3 Radeon 6970s in tri-fire? My goal with this is to be able to run 3 monitors with a resolution of 1920x1080,I play older games such as metro 2033, flight sims,some splinter cell,I like a good racing game but ive yet to see anything on pc that resembles Forza motrorsports they have for xbox 360.I like the customization options and being able to fix-up your car-paint,stickers,wheels,body-kits ect ect....I have dirt 3 which is great but u cant really do much for customizing,can u guys recommend any good games like that? thumb.gif

Code:
Steam Id-GT40RTURBO
post #10 of 49 Old 03-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Database Developer

Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by nz3777 View Post

Now as far as performance goes what can one expect from running say 3 Radeon 6970s in tri-fire? My goal with this is to be able to run 3 monitors with a resolution of 1920x1080,I play older games such as metro 2033, flight sims,some splinter cell,I like a good racing game but ive yet to see anything on pc that resembles Forza motrorsports they have for xbox 360.I like the customization options and being able to fix-up your car-paint,stickers,wheels,body-kits ect ect....I have dirt 3 which is great but u cant really do much for customizing,can u guys recommend any good games like that? thumb.gif

Re: BIOS, you can use GPU-Z and it will tell you what BIOS you're running, then look it up Google and find out what board/GPU it came off of originally.

For three monitors, three cards will perform extremely well with Eyefinity. I'd estimate 55-70 FPS on all three screens in "most" of the older games. There should be plenty of benchmarks online to verify.

Greg

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page