7970 vs 680 vs 670 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-01-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
4.0 GHz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I really want to ditch the SLI/CF for a while and get a single good card. I am looking for high gaming FPS. I currently have two 6870s. They are decent, but i cannot run BF3 completely maxed at a consistent 60fps and SC2 drops into the 30fps about 30% of the time. I would like a noticeable difference if I plan on spending around $500. Which is the better choice, or should I just wait a year or two?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-01-2013, 06:25 PM

Liked: 63
I dont think that any of those cards will be able to maintain a constant 60FPS at maximum graphics settings (assuming you are gaming at 1080p). However, AMD cards perform better when it comes to BF3.
If you are willing to spend the full $500, an MSI 7970 Lightning Boost Edition will be the best choice in my opinion. It has unlocked voltage and a custom cooler both of which provides a higher overclockability than other versions of the card.
But if you want to save a huge chunk of cash and still get similar performances to the 7970, get the Sapphire 7950 OC. It also has unlocked voltage and a good custom cooler and when overclocked past the 1.0GHz mark will give performance similar to a 7970. Only $289 on newegg after rebate card.

Hope this helps! thumb.gif
eXXon likes this.

Who cares what they say about "overkill" on 1080P monitors. If min. frames rates are anywhere less than 60FPS at max settings, it's not overkill! biggrin.gif - i7monkey

Helpful threads and people (Click to show)
1. Consult and post in OCN's Most Recommended Audio Products for help with audio products
2. Consult and post in Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide for help with overclocking your Ivy CPU
3. Contact Adam Simmons of PCMonitors for advice on monitors
4. Contact OccamRazor for advice on GPUs
5. Contact Shilka for advice on PSUs
6. Contact DaveLT for advice on air-cooling
post #3 of 3 Old 04-01-2013, 06:38 PM

Liked: 844
BF3 Caspian Border 64-man server at 1080 ULTRA with 4MSAA - 7950 stock and my i7 SB at 4.5GHz. Make sure your chip is stable at that oc . . .

my gpu is at 900/1250 out the box. some have it at 1000MHz.
eXXon likes this.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page