XFX R7970 GE (GAMES CRASHING WITH GREEN DOTS & ARTIFACTS) - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-31-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bare with me because there are 2 elements to this issue. Green dot crash & one of the fans not working properly.

My specs
HAF X Case
AMD FX 8350 Vishera (OC'd to 4.5Ghz)
ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1600MHz
Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler
XFX ProSeries 1250W PSU
XFX Radeon HD 7970 Double D GHz Edition
Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate

My 9 month old XFX R7970 Double DIssipation GHZ Edition has been having issues the past 2 months and it's gotten to a critical point. At first it was an amazing card but 2 months ago I started noticing in certain games that at any given moment these green dot artifacts would start flashing on the screen all over. It would start out with a few dots and then if I stayed in that spot in the game it would get worse and worse until the dots filled the screen and the game crashed back to desktop. I get an error message stating either "the driver crashed and recovered" or something along the lines of "DXGI_Device_Removed"

The strange part is that the games perform extremely smooth and then the green dots appear and the game crashes while still running smooth. My temperatures are all normal with 30C idle and 70C full load and I'm using the stock clock settings. Even the VRM temps are normal. When I run the 1080p benchmark in FURMARK I can replicate the issue every time and it will crash with white rectangle artifacts appearing within the "donut" object.

Originally I thought maybe it was either the drivers or those 2-3 specific games causing the problem because other games would never crash. But now it happens in every single game that I play and it happens quicker than before. I tried different driver versions and even formatting my computer and starting over. Nothing solved the issue.

So then I thought it might of been my Corsair 800W power supply because if I went into CCC and lowered the Power Control to -15% I could get Furmark to complete a full 1080p benchmark without crashing. So I swapped it out with an XFX ProSeries 1250W Power Supply thinking my problems would be solved. Of course it did nothing.

THEN today I noticed that one of the R7970's fans (closest to the back of the case) wasn't even spinning. I tapped it with my finger and it started spinning but it's making a grinding/whining noise and is struggling to maintain the full RPMs. It just keeps slowing down every few seconds. So I'm guessing the fan is faulty now too. But it can't be just the fan causing these problems if the temperatures are still operating at a normal level, could it?

I'm thinking something internal was defective and over time it got worse and worse to the point where it started to effect that particular fan. I've tested my RAM with memtest and it's all good. Replaced the PSU and my motherboard is operating properly. So the only culprit left is that my GPU is defective. But I don't want to RMA it until I hear from someone here just in case it's a common issue.

Here are some screen shots of what the green dots look like in games before it crashes altogether. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-31-2013, 09:06 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady586 View Post

Oh dear lord! RMA that sucker fast! I've had problems with the XFX RMA Dep't eversince I RMA'd my first card for a deffective temp sensor back in February. I still haven't received a working card from them...I'm so pissed at them... I had similar issues about drivers recovering from failure with every returned card. I think it may be a BIOS issue--they installed incorrect BIOSes or something of that nature.

I <3 Mechanical KeyboardS!
Hilarious Quotes~ (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJohn go_quote.gif

Accountants have to spell correctly? Who knew...
Thank god engineers are not expected to be able to spell. Just draw, write numbers in an illegible scrawl and be pessimistic about everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalbard go_quote.gif

Welcome to the land of Apple-only upgrades with ultra-high Apple-only pricing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasmith2000 go_quote.gif

That pic was just me messing around in test flight when I first got the sabre. I climbed to 45,000, then turned the nose straight down, hit the afterburner, and dropped like a rock. I leveled off at 50 feet and put her down on her down nice and gently on her belly at around 700mph. Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kx11 go_quote.gif

does that mean the 1st 80 minutes of the movie is about acquiring...
post #3 of 5 Old 05-31-2013, 11:24 AM
733mhz

Liked: 5
Yup rma asap

Hmmmm....
I like Lucky charms tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry go_quote.gif
If we use breast implants in computers, no wonder the floppy went away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-31-2013, 01:09 PM

Liked: 7
RMA
post #5 of 5 Old 05-31-2013, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 0
Thanks for the response guys. Any clue if I can check what BIOS it has to see if it is indeed incorrect? What exactly do you think is causing this issue. I can understand it making sense if maybe the card was overheating and it burnt something out or if I was getting horrible game performance. But my temps are actually really good even with the one fan that's dying and the game performance is very good up until the point it crashes with the green dots. Very very odd especially since everyone seems to sing this card's praises everywhere I go. Saying how it's better than a GTX 680 and is only recently narrowly beaten by the GTX 780.

I'm really disappointed. I've used a lot of XFX products and never had anything go bad. This is my first RMA with them so I guess all my luck has run out. This was only 9 months old and never overclocked.

I also can't go without a video card so I think I am just going to buy a GTX 780 and then send the R7970 for a replacement. Then when I get the new R7970 replacement I'll sell it on eBay to offset the cost of the GTX 780.

REALLY wish that XFX did advanced replacements. I would be willing to give credit card info seeing as this is obviously a faulty card. That way I could use the replacement while they process the faulty one.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page