post #3411 of 3674 Old 09-26-2016, 09:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by battleaxe View Post

Or you can wait a few months and the 480 will once again be beating out the 1060. Happens every time.
I've waited 2 and half months for AMD to pull their supply chain together, wrote to retailers and distributors few times a week. The pricing is not gonna drop on 480s, not here nor is availability gonna get better than it is right now.
Beating this or that in 2 months or 2 years... speculations. With 770 vs 280x it was clear that 280x is the better card, more bandwidth, more VRAM, better even in reviews at launch. 290/390 a crazy power hog with only 390 being a decent card today due to the oversized VRAM it was rereleased with.
By the time current AMD cards catch up to the competition due to driver and newer APIs being more used there will a batch of new cards not just from AMD being released as well.

And personally I am fine with paying less for more performance now even if 2 years later the other card would have offered more performance at the cost of what +25% power consumption?
AMD has good architecture feature wise and good chips as long as they do not overvolt them and improve the efficiency. This goes for CPU and GPU, both Intel and NV pushed hard for efficiency and adopted even some of the mobile efficiency features and are stomping AMD since. Sure before that it was the other way when AMD had better efficiency than both. Funny isn't it, better efficiency product wins, as for the same power/heat you get more performance.

The poor efficiency and lack of releasing new chips not just rehashes is killing AMD. Sure they do try to fill in the empty spots on the market, that's nice, and push new open features but hardware performance wise... improve the damn performance/power ratio and in turn their products will be so much more competitive.

Let me know in 2 months when a $259 480 8GB will be beating a 1060. I really wanna see that, how they magically whip out +10%...
1060 @ 2012MHz/9102MHz does 14760 score in Firestrike. Stock reference closk is 13307. The only time AMD is beating the NV counterparts is with an AMD optimized application or rather poorly optimized AMD favoring engine like the trash in Hitman and DeusEx. Doom Vulkan is great but that's about the only game that seems to use most GPUs to their max and running at decent performance unlike the Hitman/DX trash engine. How many more games or apps like Doom Vulkan will there be this year? I would say zero. By the time these newer APIs are finally used properly, NV will release a new or updated enough architecture that supports all the features well and fast and it's gonna be a time to upgrade anyway.

AMD and Vega... will see but I think it's not gonna be good, probably a Fiji remake with too high price and power needs again.
Navi maybe finally a properly designed architecture and the APIs being ready and used for it.

Nvidia, dunno, don't care, I buy what ever offers me the best performance/price, where performance for me is speed+power consumption+noise, regardless of brand.

AMD can pull it off, they have the people and money but no they always have to mess something up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3412 of 3674 Old 09-26-2016, 10:35 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

I've waited 2 and half months for AMD to pull their supply chain together, wrote to retailers and distributors few times a week. The pricing is not gonna drop on 480s, not here nor is availability gonna get better than it is right now.
Beating this or that in 2 months or 2 years... speculations. With 770 vs 280x it was clear that 280x is the better card, more bandwidth, more VRAM, better even in reviews at launch. 290/390 a crazy power hog with only 390 being a decent card today due to the oversized VRAM it was rereleased with.
By the time current AMD cards catch up to the competition due to driver and newer APIs being more used there will a batch of new cards not just from AMD being released as well.

And personally I am fine with paying less for more performance now even if 2 years later the other card would have offered more performance at the cost of what +25% power consumption?
AMD has good architecture feature wise and good chips as long as they do not overvolt them and improve the efficiency. This goes for CPU and GPU, both Intel and NV pushed hard for efficiency and adopted even some of the mobile efficiency features and are stomping AMD since. Sure before that it was the other way when AMD had better efficiency than both. Funny isn't it, better efficiency product wins, as for the same power/heat you get more performance.

The poor efficiency and lack of releasing new chips not just rehashes is killing AMD. Sure they do try to fill in the empty spots on the market, that's nice, and push new open features but hardware performance wise... improve the damn performance/power ratio and in turn their products will be so much more competitive.

Let me know in 2 months when a $259 480 8GB will be beating a 1060. I really wanna see that, how they magically whip out +10%...
1060 @ 2012MHz/9102MHz does 14760 score in Firestrike. Stock reference closk is 13307. The only time AMD is beating the NV counterparts is with an AMD optimized application or rather poorly optimized AMD favoring engine like the trash in Hitman and DeusEx. Doom Vulkan is great but that's about the only game that seems to use most GPUs to their max and running at decent performance unlike the Hitman/DX trash engine. How many more games or apps like Doom Vulkan will there be this year? I would say zero. By the time these newer APIs are finally used properly, NV will release a new or updated enough architecture that supports all the features well and fast and it's gonna be a time to upgrade anyway.

AMD and Vega... will see but I think it's not gonna be good, probably a Fiji remake with too high price and power needs again.
Navi maybe finally a properly designed architecture and the APIs being ready and used for it.

Nvidia, dunno, don't care, I buy what ever offers me the best performance/price, where performance for me is speed+power consumption+noise, regardless of brand.

AMD can pull it off, they have the people and money but no they always have to mess something up.

Well, two months might be a bit short.

But see in six months what is happening. Before long the 480 will be beating it. I get what you are saying and you have a point. The 1060 is fine, the 480 is also fine. Both good cards.

But its not just AMD drivers that get stronger. Nvidia will slowly gimp the drivers as they always do and the performance will end up going down, not up.

We've seen this happen with how many generations now? AMD gets stronger, Nivida weaker as the drivers mature - for whatever reason. And in the long run, same cards, AMD ends up winning. 290 series, 390 series, Fury's all the same deal. Fury is only stronger on 4k but that is the new benchmark if you ask me. 1080p is old news and the fact that the 980ti is more powerful on 1080p seems wasted IMO on 1080p. Where the FuryX shines and easily holds its own. This doesn't even take into account new titles on Vulcan and DX12.

There's a reason AMD is gaining market share. Even Nvidia diehards are getting annoyed by the shanigans they have been up to.

But rest assured I'm not saying the 480 is a better card than a 1060. Its not. But long run it almost certainly will beat it out.
LAKEINTEL likes this.
post #3413 of 3674 Old 09-26-2016, 10:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Yep, until then I will enjoy a 1060 and then get rid of it like I would if AMD had better supply and I bought a 480.
Even with AMD I had to keep previous driver versions due to new drivers being broken. I have no problem keeping an older NV driver to avoid potential gimping or whatever may be going on sometimes.

I've seen the gimping comparisons tossed around but so far it seems more like they collected data from different reviews than actually run it themselves, so there is more difference than a mere driver change.
But sure NV may not be optimizing for previous generation of cards anymore especially when the architectures differ in some important way. Where as AMD is sitting on GCN for half a decade or more and even they stopped supporting 1.0 aka 280x/7970/... it doesn't last forever and the newer drivers released with RX were actually problematic on the 1.0 cards from my experience.

I would say they both improve the drivers but for AMD the changes affect their products more into past. Where as NV older don't gain after a new series is launched with different arch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3414 of 3674 Old 09-26-2016, 11:36 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

Yep, until then I will enjoy a 1060 and then get rid of it like I would if AMD had better supply and I bought a 480.
Even with AMD I had to keep previous driver versions due to new drivers being broken. I have no problem keeping an older NV driver to avoid potential gimping or whatever may be going on sometimes.

I've seen the gimping comparisons tossed around but so far it seems more like they collected data from different reviews than actually run it themselves, so there is more difference than a mere driver change.
But sure NV may not be optimizing for previous generation of cards anymore especially when the architectures differ in some important way. Where as AMD is sitting on GCN for half a decade or more and even they stopped supporting 1.0 aka 280x/7970/... it doesn't last forever and the newer drivers released with RX were actually problematic on the 1.0 cards from my experience.

I would say they both improve the drivers but for AMD the changes affect their products more into past. Where as NV older don't gain after a new series is launched with different arch.

Yes. the DX11 overhead is an issue for AMD. It will be interesting seeing what happens with DX12 since it works better for GCN overall. I'm hoping for more market-share going to AMD over time. Need some competition in this field for sure to keep prices down for all of us after all.
post #3415 of 3674 Old 09-26-2016, 01:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei86 View Post

I don't know how AdoredTV got so many fans on this forum for some odd reason... I mean dude doesn't say anything new at all but all of you seems to love him.

But this GUY gets ZERO love

Explains why the G1 RX 480 is a card you should avoid.

If this is true, then that kinda sucks. Since they're the only ones that have a short card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzman go_quote.gif
Computer viruses are like herpes. You never think in a million years you'd get one... Till you do.
post #3416 of 3674 Old 09-26-2016, 02:31 PM

Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucdan View Post

If this is true, then that kinda sucks. Since they're the only ones that have a short card.

You could just get the reference since that seems to be a pretty short PCB.

post #3417 of 3674 Old 09-26-2016, 02:50 PM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 150
Wasn't the reference only a half inch or so shorter then the normal cards? At least that's what I remember when I bought one for testing when it released before reselling it for like $10 less then I bought it for a few weeks later. Wasn't much shorter then my 290Xs.

post #3418 of 3674 Old 09-26-2016, 03:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

You could just get the reference since that seems to be a pretty short PCB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletBait View Post

Wasn't the reference only a half inch or so shorter then the normal cards? At least that's what I remember when I bought one for testing when it released before reselling it for like $10 less then I bought it for a few weeks later. Wasn't much shorter then my 290Xs.

The reference card is short, but the cooler is long. The G1 comes under 240mm with the cooler.

Quote:
Computer viruses are like herpes. You never think in a million years you'd get one... Till you do.
post #3419 of 3674 Old 09-26-2016, 03:22 PM

Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucdan View Post

The reference card is short, but the cooler is long. The G1 comes under 240mm with the cooler.

Ah I see.

Well from Jayz review of the card, owners reports and Actually Hardcore Overclocking report. The Gigabyte G1 RX 480 should be taken off of peoples purchasable 480 GPU.

post #3420 of 3674 Old 09-26-2016, 03:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Ah I see.

Well from Jayz review of the card, owners reports and Actually Hardcore Overclocking report. The Gigabyte G1 RX 480 should be taken off of peoples purchasable 480 GPU.

Any reason why? I've read that the backplate was actually a hard plastic that felt like aluminum, and the card was better off without it. Makes me wonder if the Gigabyte equivalent for the 1060 has these issues too, or does Gigabyte not put in effort for AMD cards?

Some have reported hissing from both Gigabyte AMD and Nvidia cards.

It seems like card prices are coming down, slowly. MSI is offering rebates to their AMD cards. Yeah, it's a rebate, but it's a sign of things to come. There's a deal on the 1060 too, and a deal on the MSI RX 480 on Jet.com with the MSI rebate.

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeForce-1060-WINDFORCE-GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD/dp/B01JNUO6BG/?tag=slickdeals&ascsubtag=8a103f8e843011e69f3ba64e72c827e50INT

http://slickdeals.net/f/9139127-new-jet-customers-msi-radeon-rx-480-gaming-x-8g-graphics-card-230-or-less-after-20-rebate-free-s-h

except tax kills the Amazon deal.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page