Forum Jump: 

post #1671 of 4367 Old 09-28-2016, 07:51 PM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I say about the Durvelle27's problem.-

Buy wait you have a problem? what happen now a power draw issue ?

skull.gif [Official]AMD RX 480/ 470/ 460 Owners Club skull.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1672 of 4367 Old 09-28-2016, 07:52 PM
Extreme Cooler

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GecKoTDF View Post

Im sure you have a problem with the thermalpads in the GPU - Disamble, change the thermal pads - Thermal grase in the GPU and check it.-

I have a similar problem one time because i have 1 VRM overheating don't see it in the VRM temp because was one only.-
Don't have any spare thermal pads

Mu GPU power draw is pegged at 144W
post #1673 of 4367 Old 09-28-2016, 08:53 PM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 16
Mmm You can try to disamble, turn around the thermal pads and try again, I don't think its a driver issue.-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1674 of 4367 Old 09-29-2016, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter
News Fiend

Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by greytoad View Post

I should note that I don't really know it's DDU that's solving it. I also uninstall with AMD's package before rebooting into safemode to run ddu. That's just the way I always do it. I haven't dug down to see if all I need to do is uninstall and reinstall.

If you're beating a 290x with your 470, you're probably not having the issue.

The extend overclock limits from afterburner persist after a DDU and after an uninstall of Afterburner. (On the stock BIOS I was able to go above 1150mv without an offset even on a stock driver after DDU and removing the check from from extend overclocking limits and uninstalling afterburner.) I'm wondering if the power limit being locked to 20% even if 50% is visible, is being done in a similar fashion. After this last format and reload I first tested 16.9.2 with my custom bios before doing a DDU and 16.8.2 with the patch. The power limit issue was still there. After I re-do my loop and my thermal pads, maybe I"ll do another format and use the stock Sapphire reference bios.

So this was a freakin ordeal to get my setup back to what it was....and i wont be changing it any time soon

So...i did a DDU and installed the latest drivers again. low and behold my performance dropped like a rock and couldnt break 50fps in firestrike
this was not right

I spent the next 2 hrs DDU and installing different driver version and this finally fixed it

1.installed 16.7.3 and it said that it wasnt for my device
2. Installed 16.9.1 over that
3. DDU in safe mode then reboot
4. Windows discovered it own driver for it with a driver date 9/7/2016
5. Flashed stock bios back
5. Installed 19.9.2 over the Windows Driver
6. Ignored wattman and used Afterburner to set clocks
7. Flashed Modded bios

And now my performance is back to what it was

Didnt think anything of it when windows installed its own driver when i first put the card in, just installed AMDs drivers and went, but w.e driver microsoft has that auto installs fixes the clock issues, at least for me

post-flame-small.gifwheee.gif Unofficial Intel Xeon Owners Club wheee.gifpost-flame-small.gif
post #1675 of 4367 Old 09-29-2016, 09:04 AM
Extreme Cooler

Tried everything but thermal paste and it still refuses to hold boost clocks. It will drop as low as 300MHz on the core.

I will try the above and change the thermal paste and pads to see if that makes a difference.
post #1676 of 4367 Old 09-29-2016, 10:16 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durvelle27 View Post

Tried everything but thermal paste and it still refuses to hold boost clocks. It will drop as low as 300MHz on the core.

I will try the above and change the thermal paste and pads to see if that makes a difference.

honestly with this being such a new card, I'd contact XFX support to see what they say. I wouldn't go tearing apart the card quite yet. Sounds like your card may have a defective VRM phase causing it to overload the VRM and throttle.

what is the default voltage at the highest clocks? should be 1150mv. If its higher than this, you could possibly running into power throttling as well even at +20% power target. The thing that concerns me is that is dropping all the way to 300mhz or its 2d clocks.

Admin: Gamers-Review
post #1677 of 4367 Old 09-29-2016, 10:32 AM
Case Modder

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoa View Post

Unfortunately for me I'm forced to use something like AB to set my fan profile because I don't want the fans to turn off and the gpu to idle at 50c

I've been messing with my fans as well. Don't much care for idling at 50C with no fans running haha. Plus, wouldn't it be sorta worse for the fans to go from off to running and then back to off after the gpu goes below 48 instead of constantly on at a low RPM?

"Well that sounds like it's gonna suck... Yeah, sure, I'll do it."

-Tisser
post #1678 of 4367 Old 09-29-2016, 10:38 AM
Programmer

Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisser12 View Post

I've been messing with my fans as well. Don't much care for idling at 50C with no fans running haha. Plus, wouldn't it be sorta worse for the fans to go from off to running and then back to off after the gpu goes below 48 instead of constantly on at a low RPM?

Yes, it's worse for the fans, however it may be good for the card. Idle 50C Load 60C means less tension on the solders than idle 30C load 60C. Less expansion and contraction the closer the temps are - arguably the card would live longer.
post #1679 of 4367 Old 09-29-2016, 10:40 AM
Extreme Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebduncan View Post

honestly with this being such a new card, I'd contact XFX support to see what they say. I wouldn't go tearing apart the card quite yet. Sounds like your card may have a defective VRM phase causing it to overload the VRM and throttle.

what is the default voltage at the highest clocks? should be 1150mv. If its higher than this, you could possibly running into power throttling as well even at +20% power target. The thing that concerns me is that is dropping all the way to 300mhz or its 2d clocks.
Got it all figured out guys

Stripped the card down and there was barely any decent TIM contact with the heatsink. Replaced with some IC Diamond and the card now holds constantly at 1370/2100 and runs 10°C cooler

post #1680 of 4367 Old 09-29-2016, 10:46 AM
Programmer

Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durvelle27 View Post

Got it all figured out guys

Stripped the card down and there was barely any decent TIM contact with the heatsink. Replaced with some IC Diamond and the card now holds constantly at 1370/2100 and runs 10°C cooler

What the hell, this looks horrible, it's like a crime scene, damn..! Is that an XFX? Send those photos to them, if we are lucking someone there cares about the product and may take steps to make sure this doesn't happen anymore. But for now this further strengthens my dislike for that brand... frown.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page