Strange (probably drivers) problem with 390X - looking for suggestions. - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-01-2016, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 237
The problem I have is following - installed a waterblock on 390X, everything seems fine redid the system in the same configuration as it was before in new chassis and added only a 3rd SSD. However, few seconds after windows boots the displays go blank and even reset buttons does nothing, so I have to power off by holding down power button for few seconds to get the system restart.

I can boot in safe mode just fine, have clean uninstalled AMD drivers, system boots then also in non-safe mode but ofc I get then only one display and no drivers that way. Only thing managing then extract something from GFX card is GPU-z which says that the GPU is running at 100% with 60% memory lead, core temp approx 80C PCB thep about 50C so it should not be temperature issue (I think). Might be a bit crappy contact with core but the temperature seems to be very stable and compared to default air cooling, if that thing is really running at 100% with that temperature I think it's decent temp. Rest of the loop is 280mm rad with 140mm 1000 rpm high pressure fans in push-pull and 2x DC-LT pumps - the card is the only component this loop is cooling.

When I reinstall the drivers and reboot then again everything crashes after the reboot.

Relevant configuration
- Gigabyte 390X G1 gaming (Alphacool GPX-A 390 M04 waterblock)
- Club3D 7870 Eyefinity 6 (display manager shows that this card cant boot for some reason, could this be the issue?, however, the problem presist even if I disable that card in device manager).
- 4 displays, 1080p + 4k on 390x, 2x 1080p on 7870 (disabled for time being bcos of no drivers).

So - is there any relevant programs in Linux I could use to troubleshoot the card (if I do linux live usb stick)? I'm not fluent in linux but I can type in apt-get if I need to wink.gif Or what should I do in regards of AMD drivers? As noted already used the AMD tool for clean uninstalling in safe mode and then installed the drivers in normal mode (causing it to crash again).

So anything you can think I could do to address the issue feel free to suggest - looking for ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-02-2016, 02:11 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 23
That happened too me on my 285. I decided to use that program that everybody uses to do a clean install of the drivers and then I could not boot into windows. The thing that saved my skin was that I made a restore point just before because for some reason in safe mode I cant uninstall anything ( an error pops up with something about being on the administrator acount)

Try installing an older driver and then upgrading it, and close all your programs when you do that (especially speed fan because I suspect that was the trouble maker for me)
Carniflex likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-02-2016, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Hmm I'll try that - I do have a restore point created before I started the thing with moving into the new chassis -although in my case it is unlikely to help because that thing happened on the first boot up after the change of chassis so it is, in essence, the image that crashed on me because during the moving of chassis part the whole system was obviously powered off, thanx for the suggestion.

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-01-2014 at 04:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-02-2016, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

As expected using the restore point did nothing to address the problem.

Still looking for suggestions what more to try. So what I have tried:

• Using restore point
  • Removing second gfx card
  • Clean uninstall in safe mode, reboot, driver installation (including installing only and only AMD driver component) - several times

In safe mode its ok, in non-safe-mode windows its ok as long as drivers are not installed (only single screen mirrored mode, 1080p), as soon as drivers enter the system everything freezes few seconds after login screen loads. OP System is Windows 7 Pro (64 bit). And it worked fine before installing the water block, but if it would be a water block issue it would make sort of sense in my mind that it would not work in safe mode and/or without drivers either.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-02-2016, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

I got it sorted. It appears this was an temperature issue after all. I managed to get GPU-z up with drivers installed briefly seeing card at 95C and climbing when it hit 100C about 10 sec after windows going to desktop. Then displays went blank ofc when card entered safe mode to save itself. Redid the block, it's now 40C idle on dekstop and windows loads just fine.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page