HD3850 Source games crash - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Seems my (barely 2 week old) card has had enough of playing Source games, HL2, EP1, EP2 etc.

I've been through and completed EP2 which was included with the card but barely 2 days afterwards and I can't seem to play any Source games now.

I haven't tried an awful lot so far, but I've had a good look around for ideas and found some similar problems. Some solutions I've found include reinstalling DirectX, trying different drivers, checking for stability, heat, power etc.

My system runs pretty cool, and my psu is a strong 530w unit, I've done the DirectX reinstall, tried 8.1 and 8.2 catalyst, tried Omega drivers. I've tried setting cpu/mem clocks to default and increasing volts slightly to make a stable platform.

Everytime I try different drivers I do a good wipe, DriverCleanerPro, CCleaner etc... Haven't tried reseating it yet but I'd have thought I would be getting problems all over the shop, not just in Source games if this was a problem.

I haven't tried a lot of games, just those mentioned and a f2p game called 'flysis', nfsu2, nfsc... I think it will probably crash in Black and White 2, I'll try that...

Anyways, that'll do for now, any ideas welcomed!

I'm an AMD/nVidia fanboy at heart; using Intel/ATi hardware.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 06:02 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 53
wat do u mean by "crash"? Like does it give a VPU recover screen, or any error message at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDooD go_quote.gif
Dude U.S. Army is like Halo except there are no re-spawns.
post #3 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

By crash, to elaborate, I mean BSoD.

But not all the time.

Sometimes it will BSoD, sometimes it'll crash to desktop with a windows error reporting. A couple of times it crashed to desktop and an error message flashed up saying something about Direct3D or similar, not giving me time to read the whole message.

What's more, sometimes I can play for 10 mins and it'll crash randomly, sometimes when I try to load the game and sometimes when the game is loading the next scene.

I'm going now to see what games it affects and what games it does not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 06:19 PM
WaterCooler

To me, it sounds like an overheating issue, as the 3850's get quite hot, even at stock. Go grab yourself Rivatuner and raise the fan speeds and see what it does.

Linky here:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

If that doesn't work, i'm guessing it's a driver issue.

Quote:
post #5 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Okay, well, as I already had RivaTuner, I bumped the fan up to 65%, which is where it starts to get noisy.

Bumped up HL2, and it kicked the bucket, but not until Alyx' head artifacted to a load of black and white dots and went to load the next scene...

The artifacting this time round (not seen it before), does make me wonder if it is overheating (going to see if I got a log off RivaTuner), but it wouldn't make sense...

I ran a 7900gt for a year, before it fried the voltage regulator (common problem), and this HD3850 should surely run cooler because of the manufacturing process?

Just checked and there's no log, going for a second shot at a log, with 85% fan speed.

post #6 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Right, so after running 85% fan speed, I've a headache and an error message.

It's a HL2 message:

Engine Error
Internal driver error in IDirect3DDevice9:resent()

And after I closed the message, I got an Xfire (not crossfire ) exception, so I wonder if Xfire dragged it down this time... Trying again in a second without xfire...

Oh and one more thing I now have, a log, and I now know that the GPU never exceeded 45*. Not too shabby! In a way I wish it was the temperature because I have a Zalman stuck to my old 7900gt which I could try out...

Temporary cure it would seem is switching to DirectX 8... How boring.

post #7 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Just tried Day of Defeat: Source, in directx 8. It works, flawlessly.

Now, I've already tried the directx reinstall, I'll do it again, but I wonder if anybody knows what's up now? It's got to be DX9 or the drivers.

post #8 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 09:34 PM
WaterCooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karashi View Post
Right, so after running 85% fan speed, I've a headache and an error message.

It's a HL2 message:

Engine Error
Internal driver error in IDirect3DDevice9:resent()

And after I closed the message, I got an Xfire (not crossfire ) exception, so I wonder if Xfire dragged it down this time... Trying again in a second without xfire...

Oh and one more thing I now have, a log, and I now know that the GPU never exceeded 45*. Not too shabby! In a way I wish it was the temperature because I have a Zalman stuck to my old 7900gt which I could try out...

Temporary cure it would seem is switching to DirectX 8... How boring.
QUOTE FROM ANOTHER FORUM:
"i got it sorted
i downloaded the latest dx9 (DirectX End-User Runtimes (April 2006) Full Download)
but didn`t seem to work then went to steams forums and it says to disable programs like p2p and stuff like that,so i switched off these progs
thunderbird
sysmatrix
msn messenger
and there you go back to workin better than ever happy days"

apparently, it's a problem with the game, not drivers and all

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/arch...p/t-72866.html

Quote:
post #9 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Commodore 64

That particular error may be with the game, but the artifacts could be caused either by heat or drivers. You can easily check your running temps using the CCC. Open up CCC and highlight the Overdrive Utility (no need to unlock it - we're not over clocking anything). You now have a real-time view of your cards temps.

The best way that I've found to check the temps under load is to: Run CCC, open the application (in this instance your Source game), and play for about ~10 minutes. Once done Alt + Tab (or if running in Windowed, just click the CCC),you'll see the GPU activity is most likely 100%, and check the temp.

This is a very accurate way of finding out the load temp of your card (without logging anything). I'd suggest you adjust RivaTuner until your card doesn't hit more than 70 C (this number is debatable and various - it is only what I'd recommend).

With the BSOD, disable the automatic restart on system failure (found under system properties > advanced > start up & recovery). You can check previous BSODs using the Event Viewer in Computer Management under Admin Tools.

post #10 of 22 Old 02-20-2008, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Okay, well I know it's not a heat issue, as I tried 85% fan speed through rivatuner, and the game crashed to desktop. I checked the temperature straight away and nothing read over 45*, positively chilly.

I've got my old 6600 plugged in right now, so I'm going to test that...

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page