post #11 of 32 Old 02-23-2008, 12:45 PM
4.0ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dralb View Post
Yeah, Very easy to use. I just used to set voltage and OC with riva or ati tool. These cards also seem to OC better when cool. (as in 100% fan) So, you may want to look into aftermarket cooling unless you like that wonderful hair dryer sound, lol.
I can't get QF to create a good bios. I edited to clocks and upped the voltage one tick, but when I try to load the bios using Atiflash, all I get is a blank screen at boot and I have to "blind" load the original bios. Whats the trick?

I overclock like Flava Flav in a watch factory!

Crysis Benchmark DX10 High 1680x1050 - 35.575FPS

Crysis Benchmark DX10 Very High 1680x1050 - 20.08 FPS

3DMark06 - 14089
3DMark Vantage - H4721

nVidia ForceWare 180.48

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 Old 02-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Gunga Lagunga

Liked: 681
No trick that I know of. I simply loaded the BIOS, changed it, saved it, flashed it. I never had a problem (that I didn't create anyways, lol)

edit: actually, I think I read somewhere that certain mobo's have a GFX bios checksum. So, if the new BIOS doesn't match, it will cause an error. I think the only fix for that is to edit the BIOS with anhex editor to make it match.

post #13 of 32 Old 02-23-2008, 01:03 PM
4.0ghz

Quote:
No trick that I know of. I simply loaded the BIOS, changed it, saved it, flashed it. I never had a problem (that I didn't create anyways, lol)

edit: actually, I think I read somewhere that certain mobo's have a GFX bios checksum. So, if the new BIOS doesn't match, it will cause an error. I think the only fix for that is to edit the BIOS with anhex editor to make it match.

What is anhex editor and where can I get it?

3DMark06 - 14089
3DMark Vantage - H4721

nVidia ForceWare 180.48

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 Old 02-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Gunga Lagunga

Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitphire View Post
What is anhex editor and where can I get it?

whooops, bad typing a hex editor. It is an application that allows you to change lines of code in a BIOS. I have never done it and it is touchy, as if you mess up, you can destroy your card. It is what people do if there is no program like QF editor.

After reading a bit more on the checksum issue, it seems that that only really effects the performance when switching clocks (from 2D to 3D etc) I am not sure why your card won't take the flash. Are you trying to mod the stock BIOS or an XT bios? You may want to try a different BIOS. Check nicksfire to see if the XT BIOS works better. I assume you are already a pro at blind flashing anyways

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex_editor

post #15 of 32 Old 02-23-2008, 01:33 PM
4.0ghz

Quote:
whooops, bad typing a hex editor. It is an application that allows you to change lines of code in a BIOS. I have never done it and it is touchy, as if you mess up, you can destroy your card. It is what people do if there is no program like QF editor.

After reading a bit more on the checksum issue, it seems that that only really effects the performance when switching clocks (from 2D to 3D etc) I am not sure why your card won't take the flash. Are you trying to mod the stock BIOS or an XT bios? You may want to try a different BIOS. Check nicksfire to see if the XT BIOS works better. I assume you are already a pro at blind flashing anyways

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex_editor
I've actally tried it with both XT and Pro bios. My card is originally a Pro. I tried to edit the PRO bios to XT clock speed =s and up the voltage and that didn't take. Then I flashed it with the nicksfire XT bios and that worked. So I figured I'd try to up the voltage on the XT bios and that failed. So I'm pretty stumpted as to why I can't get it to work.

3DMark06 - 14089
3DMark Vantage - H4721

nVidia ForceWare 180.48

post #16 of 32 Old 02-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 63
Quote:
I've actally tried it with both XT and Pro bios. My card is originally a Pro. I tried to edit the PRO bios to XT clock speed =s and up the voltage and that didn't take. Then I flashed it with the nicksfire XT bios and that worked. So I figured I'd try to up the voltage on the XT bios and that failed. So I'm pretty stumpted as to why I can't get it to work.
If you ever need a stock bios you can look here

BUT I MUST WARN YOU THAT FLASHING A 512MB CARD WITH A 1GB BIOS WILL KILL IT AND VICE VERSA

So make shure it's the right one

Sorry, you might already know that but it's important!

So blind flashing works? I (think) I managed to do it when I needed to RMA a pro that I had flashed to XT. I typed in the command and saw my usb key upload so I guess it worked. The card didn't but there you go.
post #17 of 32 Old 02-25-2008, 06:06 AM
4.0ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
If you ever need a stock bios you can look here

BUT I MUST WARN YOU THAT FLASHING A 512MB CARD WITH A 1GB BIOS WILL KILL IT AND VICE VERSA

So make shure it's the right one

Sorry, you might already know that but it's important!

So blind flashing works? I (think) I managed to do it when I needed to RMA a pro that I had flashed to XT. I typed in the command and saw my usb key upload so I guess it worked. The card didn't but there you go.
So since I have a Sapphire card do I have to use a Sapphire BIOS or can I use any of the ones listed in the link you posted (that match my ram of course). Because there is a BIOS from MSI that clocks the core at 843.

3DMark06 - 14089
3DMark Vantage - H4721

nVidia ForceWare 180.48

post #18 of 32 Old 02-25-2008, 06:14 AM
Intel Overclocker

Quote:
So since I have a Sapphire card do I have to use a Sapphire BIOS or can I use any of the ones listed in the link you posted (that match my ram of course). Because there is a BIOS from MSI that clocks the core at 843.
IMO I wouldn't flash my card with an overclocked BIOS. I did to get XT clocks but if the core is set too high you might run into problems. The best thing to do would be either :

Create a profile in ATiTool, find your overclock and set it to load when windows starts.

Or, use the Quantium Force Bios Editor to create your own frequencies.

As for the make, I kept with Powercolor BIOS as I had a Powercolor, I think things like Device ID and maybe BIOS versions will vary by make and when the card was made (I'm guessing here).

All in all, modding your BIOS is unessesary if you can do it through software, there is more flexibility if you want to change or have a problem.
post #19 of 32 Old 02-25-2008, 01:51 PM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 118
if you want an idea of what can be acheived with stock voltage. i flashed my pro to XT using the nickfire guide and bios and without changing the voltage i was able to get 850/900 without any artifacts

EDIT:

forgot to mention that i originally used atitool when i was on XP and now use rivatuner on vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedEarth go_quote.gif

I'd much rather spend that $16K on hookers and blow.

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #20 of 32 Old 02-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Intel Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklink View Post
if you want an idea of what can be acheived with stock voltage. i flashed my pro to XT using the nickfire guide and bios and without changing the voltage i was able to get 850/900 without any artifacts

EDIT:

forgot to mention that i originally used atitool when i was on XP and now use rivatuner on vista
I like the way it goes back to 2D when quitting a game while keeping the OC when you open another.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page