**MOD**ATI 5770 Custom Backplate Mod**Finshed** - Page 14 - Overclock.net

View Poll Results: What color should the backplate be?
Red 62 30.10%
Orange 12 5.83%
Yellow 10 4.85%
Green 5 2.43%
Blue 6 2.91%
Purple 12 5.83%
Black 99 48.06%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #131 of 251 Old 12-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Intel Overclocker
 
Tuxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contagion View Post
I didn't think I would have to bump this thread.
Well anyways I should be able to finish it up in the next couple days.
I've been looking for an update or even for a single post every hour today so Im disappointed with the activity also

Beresford Caiman DAC + Sennheiser HD558
Tuxi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #132 of 251 Old 12-13-2009, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Contagion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxi View Post
I've been looking for an update or even for a single post every hour today so Im disappointed with the activity also
Yeah sorry to disappoint.
I was supposed to be getting the screw holes drilled in it today but, stuff came up, it started raining pretty hard, and I have an essay to write..

Contagion is online now  
post #133 of 251 Old 12-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Intel Overclocker
 
Tuxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contagion View Post
Yeah sorry to disappoint.
I was supposed to be getting the screw holes drilled in it today but, stuff came up, it started raining pretty hard, and I have an essay to write..
Meh, not your fault. Im just overexcited with my new card I might go and ask for some aluminum tomorrow from a store nearby. I could make a custom bracket for my Xiggy at the same time

Beresford Caiman DAC + Sennheiser HD558
Tuxi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #134 of 251 Old 12-13-2009, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Contagion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxi View Post
Meh, not your fault. Im just overexcited with my new card I might go and ask for some aluminum tomorrow from a store nearby. I could make a custom bracket for my Xiggy at the same time
Whats wrong with your current Ziggy bracket?

Contagion is online now  
post #135 of 251 Old 12-14-2009, 02:22 AM
Intel Overclocker
 
Tuxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contagion View Post
Whats wrong with your current Ziggy bracket?
Cant get it blowing air to the exhaust fan Currently it gets air directly from my 5770s PCB (which is really hot) and blows it to my PSU, which gets hot due to this. AMD brackets suck

Beresford Caiman DAC + Sennheiser HD558
Tuxi is offline  
post #136 of 251 Old 12-14-2009, 01:01 PM
333mhz
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: monroe, NC
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 6
This is really awesome ideal. I am making a custom firewall I will have to show you one day when I finish it. But I am not as close to be done has you are.

eckbulldog is offline  
post #137 of 251 Old 12-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Intel Overclocker
 
Tuxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckbulldog View Post
This is really awesome ideal. I am making a custom firewall I will have to show you one day when I finish it. But I am not as close to be done has you are.
Im going to build one too if the results are worth it

Beresford Caiman DAC + Sennheiser HD558
Tuxi is offline  
post #138 of 251 Old 12-14-2009, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Contagion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxi View Post
Im going to build one too if the results are worth it
I did a small test where I just laid the backplate on there and applied small pressure (with the thermal tape on the chips) and got a 6C drop in memory load temps.
That is without proper pressure too (screws).

Contagion is online now  
post #139 of 251 Old 12-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Intel Overclocker
 
Tuxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contagion View Post
I did a small test where I just laid the backplate on there and applied small pressure (with the thermal tape on the chips) and got a 6C drop in memory load temps.
That is without proper pressure too (screws).
Well my mem runs so hot that I could burn my fingers on them, so I think I could get more benefits from a backplate Also I want to know if that backplate has anything to do with core and vrm temps My PCB goes way too warm

Edit: I thought you needed to put that tape everywhere and not just mem? Wont it short anything?

Beresford Caiman DAC + Sennheiser HD558
Tuxi is offline  
post #140 of 251 Old 12-14-2009, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Contagion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxi View Post
Well my mem runs so hot that I could burn my fingers on them, so I think I could get more benefits from a backplate Also I want to know if that backplate has anything to do with core and vrm temps My PCB goes way too warm

Edit: I thought you needed to put that tape everywhere and not just mem? Wont it short anything?
I am not sure it would affect GPU temps but, it strectches over the VRM so, if I made thermal conductivity between the plate and the VRM, I am sure it would help.
My mem temps usually run at 70C.
When I popped the plate on there is stayed below 65C

If the plate touches any contact on the board and makes a connection with other contacts, it could short.
The tape can be used as insulator if the plate touches anything that it shouldn't be.

Contagion is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off