Graphics Aperature Size? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-04-2006, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
5 gigs of hert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Alright, lets kick this off with my card. Sapphire 9600 Pro. 256MB model.

Stock speeds are 400/446 aperature was 64MB
OC'ed to 450/486 aperature changed to 256MB

I had lots of ram so i figured hey why not. I took an AM3 score with the 64 OC'ed and one with the 256OC'ed, my results were IDENTICAL. Not even 1 point off. The only thing that happend was my CPU dropped because some ram was being used in aperature. Does aperature size not make a performance difference? What exactly does it do?

In the left corner we have the 64MB aperatuer size...its opponent...256MB aperature size *ohhhhhh*

64WINS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.derp go_quote.gif
I would lap id the heat pipes n aluminum next them are uneven to get the even.
drunken.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-04-2006, 10:21 AM
1.7ghz

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopi

I had lots of ram so i figured hey why not. I took an AM3 score with the 64 OC'ed and one with the 256OC'ed, my results were IDENTICAL. Not even 1 point off. The only thing that happend was my CPU dropped because some ram was being used in aperature. Does aperature size not make a performance difference? What exactly does it do?

In the left corner we have the 64MB aperatuer size...its opponent...256MB aperature size *ohhhhhh*

64WINS!

I dropped my aperture to 64 from 256 and ran 3Dmark05. The result was approximately 200 less points on my system.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Commodore 64

Liked: 94
C&P from TweakGuides.com. Found in the Nvidia Forceware tweak:

AGP Aperture Size: This setting determines the allocation of physical RAM for use by your graphics card, should it become necessary. A better description can be found in this AGP Aperture Size FAQ. To decide how big it should be keep in mind the following: (1) keep it above 32MB, as an Aperture Size below 32MB will disable AGP texturing - reducing your performance greatly in games; (2) the greater the amount of Video RAM on your graphics card, the smaller this setting should be; (3) Values between 64MB and 256MB show no real performance difference; and (4) Using larger values can result in more crashes such as General Protection Faults and potential texture corruption. So with all of these in mind, I recommend an Aperture Size of 128MB for most modern graphics cards. If you have an older 32MB graphics card, set the Aperture to 256MB. If you experience a large number of crashes or texture glitches, try lowering the Aperture to 64MB regardless of your Video RAM amount.

Link to the FAQ mentioned in the above:
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/...ing/vidcard/43

Hope this explains why you see no difference when you change the numbers

Es
CyberDruid and That_Guy like this.

10 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-04-2006, 10:48 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopi

64WINS!
Hi Kopi,

Here'a a copy of what ATI says graphics aperature is:

<AGP Aperture Size (MB)
Select the aperture size of the Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP).

Description:
The aperture is a portion of PCI memory dedicated for graphics memory address space.

Common symptom:

If the memory aperture size is set too low you may experience:
Windows Protections Error during startup
Windows hangs at a black screen while loading
the system may boot correctly but hangs after a few minutes of operation
Default settings:
For most graphics cards, the BIOS default setting (usually 64MB) for the AGP Aperture Size should be used. If you are using a graphics card with a 128MB or more of memory installed a larger aperture size may need to be used.>

Here's a link to the entire subject:
http://www.ati.com/
You'll need to type in "graphics aperture setting" in the search box. You'll find lots of info there..
Sorry, I had to edit this post because the first 2 links did not work..

Now my experience: As you state, 64MB seems the be the "right choice" on an AGP slot. I've tried both the 128MB and 64MB with my X850 Pro which has 256MB total. The PCMark2005 scores were within 1% of each other. Well within statistical variations... Other sites like 3dRage, Anandtech, Tom's Hardware, etc report the same thing for the AGP slot. Depending on the motherboard, but for most cases, I'd expect that 64MB on the graphics aperature setting to be good!!

I hoped this helped, :-)
That_Guy likes this.

"Fold for the cause, Fold for OCN" thumb.gif

Chimp Challenge Participant  Overclock.net - 2010 Foldathon Participant  100 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #5 of 14 Old 03-04-2006, 01:16 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 577
Aperture sizes were more important for the times when video cards came with 32/64MB's of dedicated DRAM and needed addressing space for higher memory textural data transfers from system memory. Ram was more expensive back then. It is not anymore thus modern AGP video cards have more than enough DRAM dedicated to the video card.

A modern card with 128/256MB does not need this addressing space because it already has it dedicated on the Video DRAM.

Here's the thing. On a 32MB video card, there is only a set space for addressing up to 32MB dedicated on that card and when PCI video transfer requests are made of system DRAM addresses synchronously whilst AGP texture transfers are being completed there will be stalls awaiting the location of the addresses. With AGP aperature address transfer this stall is negated.

This is only necessary on cards with low amounts of dedicated ram though. Newer video cards (on AGP) with 256MB do not need a dedicated aperature size thus you do not need to set it since the addresses are already in dedicated video memory for transfer to system address requests. Most newer 256MB video cards do better with settings of 64MB on the aperature as the aperature video addressing of PCI DRAM is disabled.

R
455buick and That_Guy like this.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-04-2006, 02:19 PM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 212
Hi Ropey,

That's a great explaination! R+ for you!! I've read all the "tech" info, and knew that the 64MB was considered the best on AGP, but could not put it into words. "settings of 64MB on the aperature as the aperature video addressing of PCI DRAM is disabled" - You did just that... I'll have to re-read some of those reviews to see if this bit of info is as well stated...

Thanks, :-)

"Fold for the cause, Fold for OCN" thumb.gif

Chimp Challenge Participant  Overclock.net - 2010 Foldathon Participant  100 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #7 of 14 Old 03-05-2006, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
5 gigs of hert

Liked: 511
wow thanks guys. I havn't been checking back because i subscribed to this thread and only got one mail lol...great info, 64MB it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.derp go_quote.gif
I would lap id the heat pipes n aluminum next them are uneven to get the even.
drunken.gif
post #8 of 14 Old 03-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Semi-Retired OCer

Liked: 603
try 128 and see...then try 256 and see...
show them posts then!!!!!!!!

post #9 of 14 Old 03-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Extreme Cooler

Liked: 135
Well my PC is weird then. because on my system, which has a 256mb 9600 NP oced 2 600/550, it runs much slower with a 64mb Aperture size and 256mb Aperture gives me a 20% performace boost over it. weird i know. anyidea y???? the memory in my MB is 400mhz and my memory in my 3dcard is 550mhz. so it makes no sense 2 me.

Clubs/Overclocks! (Click to show)
CM 690 Club
Multi Monitors Club
4.25Ghz proof.gif
900Mhz Core, 1050Mhz Memory, 1800Mhz Shader GTX 480 proof.gif
Mozilla Firefox Club
AUSSIE OCN CLUB
We Are Gr33n Machine

My Nvidia Cards
2 x GTX 480 In SLI, GTX 465, 9800GT, 8400GS, GT105M, Nvidia Ion, Nvidia Ion 2

How to Install/Mount a EVGA Bracket on a GTX 480 with a AXP Cooler
post #10 of 14 Old 03-05-2006, 06:15 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 90
If it runs better with the higher setting you should obviously keep it like that. It might be because your ram on your video card runs the same speed as your ram on the system. Your card doesnt have DDR3 ram which would make a difference. In your case, more ram is used making your perfromance better and not sacrificing speed since they are both the same. Someone correct me if im wrong, but from expirience and things i have read from this forum, this is the conlclusion i have.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page