post #31 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 07:22 AM
WaterCooler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerabbit;13339776 
Well I suppose bottleneck wasn't really the correct term, but it would definitely have an impact on performance. Either way I would still suggest a new board.

The impact wouldn't really be noticable ..

There is hardly anything new with DDR3. Higher clock speeds and lower voltages. A bit more performance. (Tripple Channel meh).

Chimp Challenge Participant 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 07:31 AM
733mhz

Liked: 2
If you are looking for cheaper prices have a look at http://www4.hardwareversand.de/home.jsp?lb

€30 shipping fee to Ireland (flat rate) but the only bad thing is that they only accept bank transfers frown.gif
post #33 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 07:33 AM
JUST FREEEEEEZE!

Liked: 389
I would definitely hold out until June/July and see what's on offer, and more importantly what prices are. If you go for a new board/cpu combo that is.

It's worth it now, 2 months down the line, maybe not.

Twitter @el_gappo @Overclocknet

Redhat: "The datasheet is clear so its pretty hard to read without an overhead projector"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Liked: 95
Yeah, im probably just gonna bite the bullet and upgrade the board aswell tbh, just in case. If any of you guys know a good board for my setup with an AMD chipset it would be awesome. Thanks again, ye'v been a great help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakka go_quote.gif
Haha when I google TIM i do not get that answer. Just a bunch of people named Tim. But thanks!
post #35 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Liked: 95
This is my current cooling btw http://www.asetek.com/products/oem-s...cts/550lc.html although, i could possibly change aswell, but id like to keep the whole hybrid water setup, seems to work well for me at least, current cpu idles at 20dC and its warm anough here atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakka go_quote.gif
Haha when I google TIM i do not get that answer. Just a bunch of people named Tim. But thanks!
post #36 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 08:11 AM
WaterCooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodean View Post
Yeah, im probably just gonna bite the bullet and upgrade the board aswell tbh, just in case. If any of you guys know a good board for my setup with an AMD chipset it would be awesome. Thanks again, ye'v been a great help.
You're buying the same platform as your current ?
Really, wait for Bulldozer then .. This is no good time for a platform change to AM3... Especially from the AM3.

Wait a few months or go Sandy Bridge perhaps. That would be my only recommendation.

post #37 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 08:20 AM

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4p3r;13339883 
The impact wouldn't really be noticable ..

There is hardly anything new with DDR3. Higher clock speeds and lower voltages. A bit more performance. (Tripple Channel meh).

Really? I was under the impression that there would be a fairly noticeable difference.

Is it the same case with ram timings and clock speeds? Do they really matter that much? Because I put some effort into optimising those.

Things I've blown up:
- 1x Gigabyte HD 5670
- 2x Generic PSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2qwik2katch go_quote.gif
I find that if you superglue your fingers to the joysticks you never have problems slipping.
post #38 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Silent but Deadly

Liked: 609
People are talking about Bulldozer and you can definitely do that. If you don't want to change out the board and everything though I can tell you that a Phenom II is a good upgrade from your Phenom I.

The Phenom II's are a lot faster and have a better OC potential by a lot. I've used both and can definitely recommend dropping one in.

Audio setup: Xonar Essence ST into Niles SI-275 amplifier driving CSW Tower II speakers paired with M&K MX-70 subwoofer. Headphones: DT880 Pro 250ohm
post #39 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 08:29 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 39
Just to give you an idea of DDR3 vs DDR2:
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/17...e/index11.html

I think that if you can find a cpu cheap (like 80 euros or something) then go ahead and upgrade now and leave the mobo and everything else alone.

I wouldn't buy a brand new full price cpu with bulldozer right around the corner though. As soon as it comes out people are going to be selling off their old equipment and retail prices are going to drop on older stuff as well.

You may end up spending 100 euros on something that will only cost 65 in a month.
Polymerabbit likes this.

post #40 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 08:31 AM
WaterCooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerabbit View Post
Really? I was under the impression that there would be a fairly noticeable difference.

Is it the same case with ram timings and clock speeds? Do they really matter that much? Because I put some effort into optimising those.
Usually, we are talking 2%-5% difference between equal DDR3 and DDR2 RAM, with DDR3 leading.

I've heard AMD commonly has more benefit by lower timings than higher frequency. Intel prefers frequency. And DDR2 has very low latency/timings.

I can't tell you the exact difference between those two since I know hardly nothing about the details of RAM, but the difference between DDR2 and DDR3 or hardly noticable. Unless of course you're are doing something very RAM intensive where high frequency matter a lot.
Polymerabbit likes this.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page