AMD Athlon XP 1800+ -.- - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 10-14-2006, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I Just installed my watercooling and its working pretty decent. I have my FSB at 149Mhz and multiplier at 11 (next multiplier for my bios is 14). I cannot push my pcu past 1642mhz (149 FSB). When I go over this by 1mhz FSB my comp crshes and does a physical memory dump or I get "Status Code 128."

What do I have to do to push my cpu faster??

Dude my compooter sucks, gimme monies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 10-14-2006, 09:12 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 120
I wanted to say ram divider but........

I dont know......srry
post #3 of 31 Old 10-14-2006, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Here is the actual message:

The system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\\SYSTEM.

The system process C:\\WINNT\\SYSTEM32\\SERVICES.EXE terminated unexpectedly with status code 128. The system will shut down and restart.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 10-15-2006, 12:19 AM
Angry Linux Gamer

Liked: 632
When I had my XP1800+ (one of my first CPUs) I was able to go as high as 166x13 with 1.7V at a 1:1 ratio, but that was with a nforce2 chip, a massive copper heatsink, and a Tornado at full blast... those were the days .
Your RAM seems to be a little on the slow side, so I would put it at a divider to keep it at or under its rated speed. Never had any experience with VIA chips (OC experience) so I can't really say.
post #5 of 31 Old 10-15-2006, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

So how do I get around this? my goal is 1.8ish Ghz... and my comp is pretty cool... wahts the problme ??

39C idle 45C load

post #6 of 31 Old 10-15-2006, 12:28 AM
Angry Linux Gamer

Put the RAM on a divider, increase the vcore and chipset voltage (don't go crazy), enable PCI and AGP frequency locks (I know nforce boards do this, not sure about VIA boards).
post #7 of 31 Old 10-15-2006, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Ok i understand how to do voltage on core (+.5good?)

How do i check chipset voltage (its still on auto). Is it in CPU-z?

explain ram divider thing...
Does this mean to put my two sticks of ram farther apart? like slot 1 asnd 3?

explain PCI AGP locks (never seen these in my bios)

sorry first time overclocking

post #8 of 31 Old 10-15-2006, 01:02 AM
Angry Linux Gamer

Since you are on WC, +.5 is okay but I wouldn't push it past there even if temps. are within acceptable levels. There should be an option to change chipset voltage in your BIOS; the default value is 1.5V and depending on the board it may let you set it as high as 1.8V (this is from my experiences with the nforce chip).
Your BIOS should also have the option to set dividers; they are usually rapresented as frequency intervals (200MHz, 166MHz, 133MHz, etc.) or ratio type values between your CPU FSB and your RAM frequency (1:1, 2:1, etc.). This means that a 200Mhz or 1:1 divider will allow you to run both your CPU FSB and RAM at the same frequency (if the CPU is running at 166 so will the RAM), or similarly if running a 2:1 divider with a 200FSB means your RAM will run at 100MHz. Dividers allow you to set your FSB higher while keeping your RAM at it's rated speed or close to it (this reduces instability on the part of the RAM).
Everytime you increase or decrease the system FSB, you also change the frequency of the PCI, AGP, and IDE bus (SATA bus in newer boards also), which may cause instability with devices using those channels (video cards, sound cards, HDDs). Some motherboards (specially the nforce based ones) allow you to manually lock these or do it automatically. I remember hearing that one of the reasons VIA chips sucked at OCing was because they did not have this particular lock.
Of course, this is all from my OCing experiences with nforce boards, since the only VIA boards I ever touched were budget builds I did for others. You may be limited on your OC potential simply because you have a VIA chip, but you should be able to push at least a 300MHz+ OC.
http://www.overclock.net/overclock.p...king-guide.htm
http://www.overclock.net/faqs/31782-...pu-memory.html

Edit: That PSU looks a bit iffy, specially if running a WC setup and OCing. That may be holding you back too. Check the rails; you should have at least 20A in the 12V rail.
post #9 of 31 Old 10-15-2006, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

zomg questions

So i could not find any sort of divider mechanism in my bios

I foud a DRAM timing control and i think it is like your frequency lock but im not sure... I am weary to touch anything cause im freaking paranoid until i get some sort of ok...haha, THe options were SPD (like auto?), HCLK and HCLK+-33.

I also founda item called "fast command" which my user manual says is likea response time mechanism between my cpu and fsb/mem? it is current ly on normal (with fast and ultra remaining). If I put on ultra what could happen? is my computer going to die ? :/

Also how can i find out my PCI/AGP/ram voltages? is there a program out there?

How do i check the rail?

And what is this business about spread spectrums?! Will there be adverse effects if i disable it (currently at 25%)

bah... lots of questions but if you feel up to it, answer away ^ ^

post #10 of 31 Old 10-15-2006, 02:06 AM
Angry Linux Gamer

Check the FAQS that I linked to; there are more laying around the forum, so just do a search.
Timmings are another important aspect in overclocking. Basically, the lower the values, the faster the RAM and the more stress you will put on them (leading to possible instability). One of the FAQS I linked to should have an indepth explanation on timmings. I'm rather certain that the "fast command" controls the timmings (the more aggresive settings lower the timmings). I could be wrong, so just try it out; you can just make the changes, save and restart, and then go right to the BIOS again to see what changed (that way you don't risk booting into the OS without knowing what you changed).
You can use Speedfan or MotherBoardMonitor to check voltages and temperature readings. The PSU should have a label with its specifications, unless it's a generic PSU that came with your case, in which case I would reccomend changing it. Again, the countless overclocking FAQS on the forum have reccommendations on PSU specifications.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page