New to Overclock.net

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeegzeigler View Post

haha thanks:)
thats sweet man,yeah im guna try to lower the v on the sabertooth.
great job on yours as well.
dont you just hate the locked mulitiplyer;)
i noticed you have 2 500gb in raid 0,hows that work for ya?
ive never done raid and just would like to know.
thanks.

Single drive had been running at average speed of 98MB/s - 102MB/s (benched by HDTune).
Adding 2 drives in Raid 0 made this 190MB/s - 202MB/s.

Well....this does look good, but Raid 0 doesn't add more IOPS (Input/Output operations per seconds), and hence it doesn't decrease boot time significantly when compared to single drive. Because Raid 0 can only doubles/triples the sequential read/write speed. (depend on how much drives are in Raid array). And a perticular data is not always sequentially written to drive. But at least it feels a lot smoother than with single drive. and yeah it is true that single large files say 4GB can easily be moved from one partition to other partition within 40 seconds or less.
Loading time is lowered a little with games like Crysis series, etc. Games like GTA IV, LA Noire, Battlefield 3 where sometimes steady rate of caching files from the HDD to the RAM is needed, I mean when intensive read/writes of HDD is being used by games, then Raid 0 can result in smoother gameplay. This happens because stuttering in Gaming caused by bottlenecking of single drive read/writes performance is eliminated. You can say when you have to move large files within your Raided 0 HDD, this really works great. Many other applications open faster in Raid 0 than single drive. The only problem is the lower IOPS in HDDs when HDD is compared to SSD. SSD can perform many different read/writes threads simultaneously because of higher IOPS, but HDD can't. Say you are moving/copying a 16GB file from one partition to other, transfer does complete at a faster rate, but Until transfer completes, you really have to wait a long or have less response when an another application say Firefox, MS Word, etc is opened.

But overall it is good. smile.gif And if you really want ultra smooth operating system performance, then buy a SSD. smile.gif
zeegzeigler likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 05-09-2012, 08:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Some people says Raid 0 is unsecured and can be a cause of random crash and loss of data.

But I haven't had any problem with it, I had set up my Raid 0 in 12-aug-2011 on MSI 790FX GD70 motherboard. From then I have changed three motherboards (2nd was 890FXA GD70, 3rd was Asus M4A88TM-LE, and the fourth one is the one I am currently using) thumb.gif Didn't have any Raid 0 crash thumb.gif

post #13 of 18 Old 05-10-2012, 02:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 78
hello,
i have used raid drives for years now,i have 4 160gb drives and have had them in raid 0 x4 and x2 disk,raid 1 x2 disk and raid 10 x4 disk.
when i first tried to set up a raid it was a big problem,only instructions i found where from windows,and that didn't work as you need to have achi set up and use windows disk managment to initiate the raid.no good as i wanted to set up a os on the raid.i then read for ages and finally sust out how to hardware raid,that was a big improvment,i found raid 10 very good,not as good as ssd and i cant remember the figues,but it was near half the speed of an ssd was.now i have an ssd and am using a ahci raid via windows,this gives me a big hdd and faster read and writes,i use it for games as as pointed out ssd's dont really benefit games.

yes, i would use a raid 0 if you can.

i only have found that raid failed when i was using hardware raid with os on and my ram was bsoding.
as you know servers dont bsod as they have ecc memory and raids ment for them.

Chimp Challenge Participant 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 Old 05-10-2012, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Liked: 0
i actually haven't checked under load. this was just temporary until i got my coolant. i could check and update ya?
post #15 of 18 Old 05-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitlian View Post

Some people says Raid 0 is unsecured and can be a cause of random crash and loss of data.
But I haven't had any problem with it, I had set up my Raid 0 in 12-aug-2011 on MSI 790FX GD70 motherboard. From then I have changed three motherboards (2nd was 890FXA GD70, 3rd was Asus M4A88TM-LE, and the fourth one is the one I am currently using) thumb.gif Didn't have any Raid 0 crash thumb.gif

The RAID setup isn't an issue but something was blowing up motherboards lol biggrin.gif
post #16 of 18 Old 05-13-2012, 12:03 PM
No keyboard detected! Press F1 to continue..

Liked: 698
I used to have RAID 0 3 drives..until the "Hard drive shortage" sad-smiley-002.gif
I'd buy a drive every other week. (@ $44 for 500 GB..lest anyone forgets what the prices were)
post #17 of 18 Old 05-13-2012, 04:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post

The RAID setup isn't an issue but something was blowing up motherboards lol biggrin.gif

Thanks for giving such info smile.gif
As my journey with RAID 0 begins from 2011 only, I really didn't know RAID setup could have been a cause of motherboard failure (Never thought even in my dreams).
If it was due to RAID 0, then I really want to find out what was causing this.

Yes.....yes I remember, one of my friend had Intel P55 setup and he had been getting random RAID 0 crash with total loss of data many times within nearly two months. At least his motherboard didn't blow up.

post #18 of 18 Old 05-13-2012, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Liked: 0
Goto love when a 4ghz thread turns into a full blown raid chat:) love these.people!haha.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page