Forum Jump: 

post #40561 of 68054 Old 09-30-2014, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan45 View Post

Ram tuning take a lot of playing around to get it just right. As for speed 1800-2200 I found for most things works the best and tighten the timings as much as possible. Don't be afraid to add a bit of voltage to the ram either. As long as you have some air flow you're probably good for 1.75v daily. Every system is a bit different and so is ram. I have G.Skill 2133 that runs 1850 ish at 7-9-8 and 2550 at 10-12-11 the performance is pretty much identical at both speeds. Use AMD OD and you can tune it in windows saves a lot of re-booting. Wouldn't hurt if you use another drive besides your dail OS since ram tuning can bork your OS and your bios if you get too aggressive.

Good point. Had overclocking mess up my OS before already. Will make a small partition on the data drive. SSD is already a bit full. tongue.gif

I don't know if I should overvolt. The airflow isn't bad but it aint great either. As the radiator is outside of the case.
Can try to squeze the g.skill cooler on the ram. Will be pretty hard with the tubing in the way though.

Did some runs of AIDA. Have a look if you want:

It kinda sucks that there is fluctuation.
These second run @ 2400 was done immediately after the other one.

Looks like 2000-2200 is indeed best. Probably because of the 1T versus 2T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40562 of 68054 Old 09-30-2014, 12:07 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper1591 View Post

Will do.
I kinda hoped on some high end information or something.
But supposdely I already knew everything. biggrin.gif

Am I right to expect more from my g skills?
I remember hating my Corsair Vengeance 1866 9-9-9 for it's lack of overclock ability.
But 1866 8-9-9 doesn't seem earth-shaking either.
Although these are 1T versus the 2T Corsair's

Heh, I feel you on that. There just isn't any solid RAM timing knowledge anywhere it's all touch and go with that. Best you can do is check out the JEDEC specs for DDR3 RAM and try and figure the limitations of it yourself. Nice set of RAM you have though. I posted some links in this thread a while back when g. skill broke the RAM speed record. However if you do find some good info on RAM then send it my way I'd be the first one on that hype train. Other than that,

http://www.tweakers.fr/timings.html#tRC

Helped me out a lot when I was working with mine. Good knowledge there for both beginners and experts honestly.

post #40563 of 68054 Old 09-30-2014, 12:30 PM

Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post

[

Good point, nobody likes the bork tongue.gif

Now that takes me back ha ha.

The reason there isn't anything solid on ram is because all ram is different and every chip on the stick is slightly different. G.Skill bins them for certain qualities and then sticks them on a PCB they all do I guess. It's a lot like CPUs some are better than others. Some serious overclockers will buy multiple kits of ram and then select the best stick out of them for benching. There are some decent guides that'll tell you how timings relate to each other but it's 90% trial and error. Just drop one number and see if it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40564 of 68054 Old 09-30-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonless View Post

Heh, I feel you on that. There just isn't any solid RAM timing knowledge anywhere it's all touch and go with that. Best you can do is check out the JEDEC specs for DDR3 RAM and try and figure the limitations of it yourself. Nice set of RAM you have though. I posted some links in this thread a while back when g. skill broke the RAM speed record. However if you do find some good info on RAM then send it my way I'd be the first one on that hype train. Other than that,

http://www.tweakers.fr/timings.html#tRC

Helped me out a lot when I was working with mine. Good knowledge there for both beginners and experts honestly.

Will do.

I haven't seen that link.
But did read my fair share of timings info similar to that.

Good link though.
But I kinda let the secondary timings on auto.
Too much hustle IMO, maybe later when I settle my primary timings.
post #40565 of 68054 Old 09-30-2014, 12:41 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 6
Quote:

Will do.

I haven't seen that link.
But did read my fair share of timings info similar to that.

Good link though.
But I kinda let the secondary timings on auto.
Too much hustle IMO, maybe later when I settle my primary timings.

Hey I don't blame you redface.gif I corrupted my hard drive more than once messing with those.

post #40566 of 68054 Old 09-30-2014, 12:47 PM

Liked: 456
Quote:

Quote:

Ram tuning take a lot of playing around to get it just right. As for speed 1800-2200 I found for most things works the best and tighten the timings as much as possible. Don't be afraid to add a bit of voltage to the ram either. As long as you have some air flow you're probably good for 1.75v daily. Every system is a bit different and so is ram. I have G.Skill 2133 that runs 1850 ish at 7-9-8 and 2550 at 10-12-11 the performance is pretty much identical at both speeds. Use AMD OD and you can tune it in windows saves a lot of re-booting. Wouldn't hurt if you use another drive besides your dail OS since ram tuning can bork your OS and your bios if you get too aggressive.

Good point. Had overclocking mess up my OS before already. Will make a small partition on the data drive. SSD is already a bit full. tongue.gif

I don't know if I should overvolt. The airflow isn't bad but it aint great either. As the radiator is outside of the case.
Can try to squeze the g.skill cooler on the ram. Will be pretty hard with the tubing in the way though.

Did some runs of AIDA. Have a look if you want:

It kinda sucks that there is fluctuation.
These second run @ 2400 was done immediately after the other one.

Looks like 2000-2200 is indeed best. Probably because of the 1T versus 2T.

It's like Johan says, it really depends on the particular ram kit you have. I've messed with a dozen different kits running from from CL6 running 1800 to CL12 running 2600+. I've not been able to beat my high frequency Kingston's shown in this SS. I say that with the acknowledgement that I am among the worlds worst memory tuners - I just don't have the patience to do it right rolleyes.gif

FX8370E 5839mhz MSI 990FXA GD80 - custom water http://valid.x86.fr/3jk1vz
FX - 9370 @ 5740mhz MSI 990FXA GD-80 with an H-100 proof.gifhttp://valid.canardpc.com/s04jcj
I like MSI motherboards and this is why smile.gif
8350 @ 5.2 ghz on a stock cooler proof.gif PM me! smile.gif
post #40567 of 68054 Old 09-30-2014, 12:47 PM

Liked: 186
Here's a rough formula Cl+tRCD+tRP = tRAS, tRC = tRP+tRAS Like I said that's a rough formula. So taking my CL7 , 7+9+8=24 Then 24+8 = 32. Gives timings of 7-9-8-24-32. Once you have the three main timings start lowering the tRAS and tRC . I leave them a bit high to start. say around 28 and 40. I don't know if I'm helping or making this more confusing???rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post

[

It's like Johan says, it really depends on the particular ram kit you have. I've messed with a dozen different kits running from from CL6 running 1800 to CL12 running 2600+. I've not been able to beat my high frequency Kingston's shown in this SS. I say that with the acknowledgement that I am among the worlds worst memory tuners - I just don't have the patience to do it right rolleyes.gif

]

That's the key right there it's time and patience. I found a snip of the G.Skill 2133 not my best kit but OK

111rrlh.jpg
post #40568 of 68054 Old 09-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 141
Quote:

Here's a rough formula Cl+tRCD+tRP = tRAS, tRC = tRP+tRAS Like I said that's a rough formula. So taking my CL7 , 7+9+8=24 Then 24+8 = 32. Gives timings of 7-9-8-24-32. Once you have the three main timings start lowering the tRAS and tRC . I leave them a bit high to start. say around 28 and 40. I don't know if I'm helping or making this more confusing???rolleyes.gif

https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/ddr3-memory-timings-explained

very useful biggrin.gif
post #40569 of 68054 Old 09-30-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:

That's the key right there it's time and patience. I found a snip of the G.Skill 2133 not my best kit but OK

111rrlh.jpg

No that's perfectly clear.
Been messing with it for some years now and I indeed followed that basic formula before.

Will work on getting the three mains first. Followed by trc and tras
post #40570 of 68054 Old 09-30-2014, 01:55 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 262
Quote:

Quote:

I use Aida64 for testing ram performance tuning. As for stability IBT should work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonless View Post

Supposedly the saying goes AMD is better with timings and Intel is better with RAM speed. You will likely notice a small improvement with either or both. I've used memtest86+ before and I have to say that the program is good for testing broken ram rather than finding a instability. Does not run the system nearly hard enough. IBT AVX or prime blend would be a much better stability test IMO. To compare improvement I believe the go to benchmark right now is AIDA64 because of it's memory benchmark.

Will do.
I kinda hoped on some high end information or something.
But supposdely I already knew everything. biggrin.gif

Am I right to expect more from my g skills?
I remember hating my Corsair Vengeance 1866 9-9-9 for it's lack of overclock ability.
But 1866 8-9-9 doesn't seem earth-shaking either.
Although these are 1T versus the 2T Corsair's
I run my 2T corsairs at 1T. I run at 2058MHz 9-9-10-24 1T and they are rated as 2133 at 11-11-11-27. Using two sticks instead of four I can run 2400 at 9-10-12-30 1T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4inkill3r go_quote.gif

Also, we're discussing intel because it seems like there's no way to enforce pure-AMD build threads in this forum. It should be renamed the 'you really want intel instead' forum.
If You Can Cool It!cool.gif-You Can Clock It!wheee.gif (AMD's Vishera)

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page