Forum Jump: 

post #54671 of 68054 Old 11-06-2015, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroAtTheTop View Post

Hey guys, so I am thinking of overclocking my FX-8350 a bit as Fallout 4 is about to come and I guess you've seen the Recommended specs....so I am wondering, whats the best temperature monitor to use? I used to have problems prior with poor case and ventilation with CPU overheating but I was told on tomshardware that using programs such as SpeedFan to measure temperature is bad as AMD put some weird algorithm which does not show up real temperature, I was told the best thing to use is AMD Overdrive as it shows how much of an gap there is left untill cpu will throtle itself to protect from damage, any opinions on that? And which should I use for temp measurement then?
hwinfo64 does well and it's free...the algorithm amd uses is inaccurate below 40c above that it does a pretty good job reporting correctly...vrm and socket cooling are a good idea if you want to go over 4.4ghz...keep cores under 70 while stressing and vrms/socket cool and won't have issue unless you are pushing your other components too hard... Bios I'd generally the best way (imo) to overclock..but you can use overdrive it just didn't have all the settings you really need to dial in a proper overclock so I've never used it...if you need help post back with bios screens and ask away

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54672 of 68054 Old 11-06-2015, 10:10 AM
x264 Enthusiast

Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroAtTheTop View Post

Hey guys, so I am thinking of overclocking my FX-8350 a bit as Fallout 4 is about to come and I guess you've seen the Recommended specs....so I am wondering, whats the best temperature monitor to use? I used to have problems prior with poor case and ventilation with CPU overheating but I was told on tomshardware that using programs such as SpeedFan to measure temperature is bad as AMD put some weird algorithm which does not show up real temperature, I was told the best thing to use is AMD Overdrive as it shows how much of an gap there is left untill cpu will throtle itself to protect from damage, any opinions on that? And which should I use for temp measurement then?

What Overdrive has as "thermal margin" is the same as "core temp" or "package temp" in others, only inverted. In other words, thermal margin 0 in Overdrive, is 70C core temp in other programs. No need to use Overdrive just for that.

There's HWmonitor, HWInfo, Speccy, Speedfan, AIDA, Open Hardware Monitor... It comes down to personal taste. I prefer Open Hardware monitor, because it shows the essential things and no extra bogus sensors , plus you can have a temperature on your systray at all times:

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/downloads/

Try them all and find one you understand easily and like.

PLEASE, don't PM me to solve your computer problems privately. That's what the forum is for.
post #54673 of 68054 Old 11-06-2015, 10:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undervolter View Post

Yeah, good luck with that... They expect to win on this ground?
lachen.gif This "Dickey" guy, must be reading some internet Intel fanboy forum, where the usual urban legend of "FX can't run 8 threads" has been going on for years. AMD will once more explain that each FPU can run dual 128bit mode and end with it. AMD never claimed on the box "CPU with 8 256bit FPUs!". They will simply explain to the judge, that for construction purposes they packaged 2 cores in each module and that each module can act with 2 FPUs at 128bit.

Case lost before it even began.

Well, i was reading on the thread and i must say that CPC_RedDawn explains the architecture perfectly well. Its not an 8 core but an 4 core which can run 2 threads on each core so applications sees it as an 8 core because you can load the threads as well but they are not full cores.

This is what i found on my CPU box..

Can anyone explain why this is on the box?: "achieve ultimate power with up to 5 GHz and 8 cores" they encourage people to overclock their CPU's but if you do you void warranty..
5 GHz and 8 cores...? Its misleading information right of the bat, its not an 5 GHz CPU but an 4 GHz CPU which can turbo up to 4.2 GHz.. Its not an 8 core but an 4 core with hyper threading..

By this alone you would easily win a law suit against AMD.

Don't get me wrong tho, i really like my CPU and i am happy with the performance but this is plain lying to the customer. Its even worse than Nvidia did with the GTX 970 which wasn't even true because i own the card and i can use the fully 4 GB on it, so it was a storm in a glass of water basically.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54674 of 68054 Old 11-06-2015, 10:19 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsai View Post

Well, I just found this: [Guru3D] AMD faces Lawsuit over Core Count on Bulldozer

So.... some ass says that he has been mislead and fooled into buy an 8 core CPU that is actually only 4 cores, and claims the average user wouldn't know this....

Then he uses common knowledge technical explanations to back his argument, further proving that he did know this, and was not mislead at all???

Nice..... rolleyes.gif

post #54675 of 68054 Old 11-06-2015, 10:27 AM
x264 Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

Well, i was reading on the thread and i must say that CPC_RedDawn explains the architecture perfectly well. Its not an 8 core but an 4 core which can run 2 threads on each core so applications sees it as an 8 core because you can load the threads as well but they are not full cores.

No...There are 8 integer cores. In each module there are 2 integer cores and 1 shared FPU that can either run 256bit mode or 2x128bit mode when 2threads run.

Quote:
This is what i found on my CPU box..

Can anyone explain why this is on the box?: "achieve ultimate power with up to 5 GHz and 8 cores" they encourage people to overclock their CPU's but if you do you void warranty..
5 GHz and 8 cores...? Its misleading information right of the bat, its not an 5 GHz CPU but an 4 GHz CPU which can turbo up to 4.2 GHz.. Its not an 8 core but an 4 core with hyper threading..

The misleading part is the "up to 5Ghz" , because it's not in the same sentence with "overclocked". However, they are not sold as "5Ghz". It's not hyperthreading.

PLEASE, don't PM me to solve your computer problems privately. That's what the forum is for.
post #54676 of 68054 Old 11-06-2015, 10:38 AM
Fan Man

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undervolter View Post

No...There are 8 integer cores. In each module there are 2 integer cores and 1 shared FPU that can either run 256bit mode or 2x128bit mode when 2threads run.
The misleading part is the "up to 5Ghz" , because it's not in the same sentence with "overclocked". However, they are not sold as "5Ghz". It's not hyperthreading.

This...turbo takes it from 4.7 to over 5 so not fibbing...and 8 core is correct,

http://uk.pcmag.com/chipsets-processors-products/38582/preview/amd-fx-9590
Undervolter likes this.
post #54677 of 68054 Old 11-06-2015, 10:40 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 12
My FX-8320 is running at 4.5 GHz on an ASUS M5A97 R2.0, with 1.475 vCore reaching max 58 C on core and 68 C on socket on stress testing, and I've got a 120X120 mm radiator AIO cooling it with a single 61 CFM 1.97 mmH20 which came with it. I was thinking of upgrading the fan to dual Corsair High Static Pressure PWM fans, which have 65 CFM airflow and 3.2 mmH2O pressure. Do you guys think it will be enough for me to get another 100 MHz or 2 out of it?
post #54678 of 68054 Old 11-06-2015, 10:47 AM
Fan Man

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiladEd View Post

My FX-8320 is running at 4.5 GHz on an ASUS M5A97 R2.0, with 1.475 vCore reaching max 58 C on core and 68 C on socket on stress testing, and I've got a 120X120 mm radiator AIO cooling it with a single 61 CFM 1.97 mmH20 which came with it. I was thinking of upgrading the fan to dual Corsair High Static Pressure PWM fans, which have 65 CFM airflow and 3.2 mmH2O pressure. Do you guys think it will be enough for me to get another 100 MHz or 2 out of it?

No, not unless your prepared to do stupid ugly things with lots of fans.....pictures with-held for those of a weak disposition...and to stop Gertie laughing himself to sleep.
post #54679 of 68054 Old 11-06-2015, 10:50 AM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Owl View Post

No, not unless your prepared to do stupid ugly things with lots of fans.....pictures with-held for those of a weak disposition...and to stop Gertie laughing himself to sleep.

nice to see u back....wha gfx card did u get

Hurricane28 "My English is just fine, probably even better than yours as i have American blood"
post #54680 of 68054 Old 11-06-2015, 10:55 AM
x264 Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Owl View Post

This...turbo takes it from 4.7 to over 5 so not fibbing...and 8 core is correct,

http://uk.pcmag.com/chipsets-processors-products/38582/preview/amd-fx-9590

Oh, it actually turboes to 5Ghz? I didn't know that. Well, then it isn't misleading... It actually does to go 5Ghz, it just doesn't do it with ALL cores at the same time. But they say "up to 5ghz" on the box. They don't say "with all cores at the same time". It's like in shops, where they say "save up to 40%". They don't intend on ANY item they sell. biggrin.gif

EDIT: Oh, i just looked on my 8320 box. And it says too "achieve ultimate power with up to 5Ghz and 8 cores". Well, it's misleading for non 9xxx models then...Cause 8320 can't turbo to 5Ghz. tongue.gif They should have written: "achieve ultimater power with up to 5Ghz through overclocking".

EDIT 2. Just looked on FX6300 box. The only thing on it is:
"Experience supercharged, responsive gameplay and mega-multitasking performance, featuring:
- Unlocked and overclockable processor
- AMD Turbo core technology".

^ That's better way of putting things.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page