Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by mperna21 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post

@mperna21 @skysoldier Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Ordered a MSI 970 gaming the other day smile.gif

I'm so curious what your single core score is on s 5.1ghz fx.

What are you cooling the vrms with. The fan worked wonders for me

Directly above the vrm heatsink

and a `120 mm sitting on the graphics card blowing at an angle on the vrms/socket.

FX8370E 5839mhz MSI 990FXA GD80 - custom water http://valid.x86.fr/3jk1vz
FX - 9370 @ 5740mhz MSI 990FXA GD-80 with an H-100 proof.gifhttp://valid.canardpc.com/s04jcj
I like MSI motherboards and this is why smile.gif
8350 @ 5.2 ghz on a stock cooler proof.gif PM me! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64642 of 68054 Old 01-16-2017, 06:45 PM

Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post

Directly above the vrm heatsink

and a `120 mm sitting on the graphics card blowing at an angle on the vrms/socket.

Nice, I'm stuck at 4.2ghz i need a better cooler also waiting to see how am4 and ryzen turns out. Wish i got the msi 990fxa instead though. I use a super loud amd fx 8320 stock fan for my vrms lol toned it down to 50% and put a fan on the back of the board. Ghetto but did the trick
post #64643 of 68054 Old 01-17-2017, 01:28 AM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64644 of 68054 Old 01-17-2017, 02:17 AM

Liked: 2
lol. imagine how hot a cpu with 12volts (on an 8core fx) going through it would be, esp with these new 12 or 14nm chipsets being released, would go way over that.. you trying to set the earth on fire?biggrin.gif
no it applies to the entire cpu, not per core

iirc it's called vcore because it's the end voltage that the cpu gets, rather than the varied amount being put through the mobo, mosfets, capacitors etc

"i live in a swamp, i put up signs, i'm a terrifying ogre, WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET A LITTLE BIT OF PRIVACY"
post #64645 of 68054 Old 01-17-2017, 02:19 AM
please keep drinking the koolaide

Liked: 700
Send a message via MSN to Mega Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

He finally did it, he blew up an FX CPU!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys24AJh42xA

Let this be a lesson on how to NOT overclock an FX CPU, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletBait View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocyt View Post

wow. he looks so sad lmao. all teary eyed.
i would be too

he tried to go past 60C. tsk tsk why would he go past 1.43v if he's already at his limit though

From the sound of it, he doesn't know and mixed up 62C is the safe package temp while aroundish 70C (or something like that, I haven't found a hard number on socket temps still. Just AMD's recommended core temps) is the safe socket temp. I'm honestly surprised the CPU didn't lock up and shutdown on its own. If you're at 60C already, unless you can fiddle with the voltages downward somehow, you're at your max. I also would never pump 1.5v on air cooling, like he said was 'safe.' That's just asking for trouble.

I usually like to say the guy is an idiot, but he said it himself for me at the end.

Edit: I will give the guy credit for at least trying to show an 83xx budget build is a better choice then the i3 K though.

Omg stop much wrong with everything he said. Esp how a mobo starts. It has nothing to do with 12v.
Until the (iirc ) most recent atx specs there was no live voltage atm there is only 5vdc (for charging usbs and stuff) ie 5VSB and basically there is a pass through (oversimplified a bit ) from ps-on and a ground to the power switch, at that point there is a switch (as I understand it a solid state one, Idk the name of the component used) that fromb there maintains continuity, but even if I am wrong about that. No live 12v nor does voltage spike really high when psus turn on..... there is a spike, but quality psus control how much

Rigbuilder and how to put it in your sig post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gif budget components = budget resultsPearls before swine! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 go_quote.gif

Also rma wise, regardless of what vendor used it's always like getting a tooth pulled imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged go_quote.gif

I facepalmed when trying to explain cpu and gpu overclocking to him after he got his 4930k. It was like teaching trigonometry to a rock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 go_quote.gif

That's like wrapping your car around a pole then asking for warranty service.
Dont be hard on yourself, we all break stuff sooner or later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables go_quote.gif

I don't appreciate your judgment here. I am just stating facts. That's all I'm doing. If you are taking offense to it or something, then that's not my problem, so don't put it on me. Ok?...Good god man. You would know that if you would actually carefully read...
post #64646 of 68054 Old 01-17-2017, 02:23 AM

it's anyones guess as to what happened.until he tests a new chip in the mobo, or tests a new mobo
it could've easily been a voltage spike causing something to short circuit on the die itself.

personally i think he fried it by turning it off.
"oh look it's at its thermal limit, better up the voltage"
"oh look the voltages are spiking now i'll turn it off" (rather than backing off when it was 60, lmao that idiot)
turning it off essentially turned off the fans and his heatsink couldn't dissipate that much heat without any airflow=cooked

"i live in a swamp, i put up signs, i'm a terrifying ogre, WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET A LITTLE BIT OF PRIVACY"
post #64647 of 68054 Old 01-17-2017, 03:07 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklkit View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Ha! I knew cssorkinman would show up. In professional hands maybe the 970 Gaming is a good board, but there have been plenty of pics here showing the leaks. And I have no confidence that the youtube guy would catch it before something bad happened.

That said I still like my MSI GD80 and am taking a long look at that MSI 370 Titanium board. Outside of placing the led in the top right corner where it can't be seen and charging $100 for $0.20 worth of cheap plastic covers it is looking really good.

@strike105x Yeah, placing an intake fan in the top optical drive slots is an excellent idea. I did it meself.

As far as using that fan as an exhaust, it all comes down to noise. I did the same thing a few years ago with a Silverstone 120mm fan rated at 110 cfm, and it could be heard in the other room down the hall too. But man did it move some air!

The fans on the D15 are rated at 90-95 cfm methinks so anything less than that behind them would be a restriction. Work on getting more air into the case first. You might not need an exhaust fan at all.

Quick question about that mobo. I can't seem to overclock the ram or NB on it. What's up with that?
post #64648 of 68054 Old 01-17-2017, 03:17 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocyt View Post

lol. imagine how hot a cpu with 12volts (on an 8core fx) going through it would be, esp with these new 12 or 14nm chipsets being released, would go way over that.. you trying to set the earth on fire?biggrin.gif
no it applies to the entire cpu, not per core

iirc it's called vcore because it's the end voltage that the cpu gets, rather than the varied amount being put through the mobo, mosfets, capacitors etc
lol, now that i think about it your right, just for curiosity I'm planning on disabling one core per module (only for the first two modules), I'm curious what oc results it will give me using only six cores rather then 8, its just a for fun experiment i want to do since it should lessen the load on vrms and give more headroom to temps. The reason my mind trailed of to it being per core is probably because i wanted to avoid the hassle of finding the right voltages again tongue.gif. Also going to see if i can't tune things better for 2400 Mhz ram speed.
post #64649 of 68054 Old 01-17-2017, 03:41 AM

i'm tempted to do the same as prime 95 and AOD stress tests instantly fail the last two cores regardless of my clock/voltage.
even stock.
but then IBT AVX will pass 10-20 at 4.3ghz and 1.5v without giving an error

post #64650 of 68054 Old 01-17-2017, 04:40 AM
3.5ghz

Liked: 37
Is it possible that the vrms overheated and died on jays motherboard? Cause on my old Gigabyte ga-ma790x-ud4p with a 1100t x6 i was overclocking and had it at 4.2ghz 1.55v temps was fine for cpu couldn't tell what the vrms was at cause the mb dont have anything for that, But was gaming for a bit and pc shut off... Tried turning it back on and it will flicker the lights and go off like a bad psu would do..

Tried a different cpu same thing.. Pulled the atx 6pin out and tried powering it on and it turn on but was dead.. So i took the board out and it was all blackish on the back of the mb were the vrms are at... So i tried the cpu in my uncles pc with a cheaper gigabyte and it booted right up and ran fine and he let me used that till i get mine back.

Got the same motherboard on ebay for 30$ cause i needed the stuff on my raid back and everything was fine. The dead mb is now on my wall as a show piece lol.

What motherboard did he have? kinda hard to tell on the video.. But i did hear him saying he pulled the 4pin atx out?? I would think if its a 4pin it would be a cheaper motherboard?

Now i always run fans on the vrms area front and back after that happen even on my saberkitty. The gigabyte was 8+2 phase too but the vrms must've got to hot and burn out.

What i always learn on this forum never cheap out on a mb with under 8+2 phase when overclocking the fx series.

And the fx cpus seems too take alot of abuse from what i seen and herd and experience with my own 8370e:)

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page