[OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club - Page 6790 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #67891 of 68054 Old 12-11-2017, 09:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 100
if you see a drastic northbridge temp spike by changing the stock 1.1 voltage to say 1.25, your cooler is being overwhelmed. Change the thermal paste, or yank the heatsink off and clean it up and make sure its flat.

Could also use a thick thermal paste like IC-D 7 and it will help alot to take up any space. Some northbridge heatsinks are barely doing their job at 1.1 volts

the 890.990 northbridge chipsets are default 1.1 volts and 19.6 watts TDP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #67892 of 68054 Old 12-11-2017, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapottberg View Post

Yes. But when more voltage to the CPU/NB no longer gets you stable, some users have reported adding voltage to the NB chipset has helped them get higher clocks.

I have not personally managed this, and from what little testing I have done I can say with certainty that increasing the NB chipset voltage will dramatically increase temps to that chop and the heatsink on it. So much so it becomes untouchable if you are not careful. Make sure if you do up it to have extra cooling in place and monitor temps.

i have a second NB heat sink attached to mine and it gets a good portion of the airflow off the fan over the VRMs. I was happy to see that a few others needed to up it also, at least with gigabyte boards.

temps on mine are very nice to the touch, but it is a massive amount of airflow and surface area. even at the 1.36V i am running. what the safe limit for the voltage here is, i have no idea and have run it up for testing over 1.4 for sure.

edit: i would certainly not just recommend upping it and leaving it without testing to make sure it is required for the OC if anyone was planning to raise it.
post #67893 of 68054 Old 12-12-2017, 01:03 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by umeng2002 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batboy View Post

I tried to kill it alll man...if you had a better nb actual sink do itttttt throw like 1.4v-1.5v at it and booted and was ok at like 2650mhz and ram...HOT man damn thing will burn ya lol.

Doesn't the NB voltage control the chipset voltage and the CPU/NB voltage controls the memory controller?
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4inkill3r go_quote.gif

Also, we're discussing intel because it seems like there's no way to enforce pure-AMD build threads in this forum. It should be renamed the 'you really want intel instead' forum.
If You Can Cool It!cool.gif-You Can Clock It!wheee.gif (AMD's Vishera)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #67894 of 68054 Old 12-12-2017, 01:04 AM
WaterCooler

I think also those with a VRM heatsink linked to the NB heatsink via heatpipe, large amounts of NB voltage will be detrimental for VRM temps.

Quote:

Also, we're discussing intel because it seems like there's no way to enforce pure-AMD build threads in this forum. It should be renamed the 'you really want intel instead' forum.
post #67895 of 68054 Old 12-12-2017, 05:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 3
Have you looked at the Amd fx 8350? i mean if your not ready for ryzen then try the 8350 price is cheeper. My Motoko is running one now and with my Evga1080 i can play any game i want.
post #67896 of 68054 Old 12-13-2017, 01:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post

I think also those with a VRM heatsink linked to the NB heatsink via heatpipe, large amounts of NB voltage will be detrimental for VRM temps.

Absolutely right. Sabertooth had this issue, though it's one of the rare boards that has a decent heatsink. Aura's NB @ 1.2V is impossible to hold a finger on, though from what I've hear, it can withstand temperatures of 100C no problem.

What it affects though, is the socket temperatures overall, especially on thin motherboards. Also, it might affect the temperature of your heatsink if you're using a large air cooler. D15 has a distance of about 1-2CM from the NB heatsink. Even though there's airflow through D15 I'm not happy about a hot thing near it.

Biggest problem is the design of the VRM heatsinks on the boards. I think only ST, CHVZ and GD-80 have decent looking heatsinks. Also, I don't know why no manufecturers offered an option to screw on one or two 40mm fans. The Sabertooth Rev3 has this option and it's a great addon. But they're like 5 years late.

Asus 970 Pro Gaming Aura * FX8320@4.75GHz * G1 GTX970 * 2x4GB HyperX 1866MHz DDR3 @ 2220MHz
post #67897 of 68054 Old 12-13-2017, 02:10 AM
WaterCooler

I like to think the M5A99FX has a decent heatsink too! tongue.gif

Quote:

post #67898 of 68054 Old 12-13-2017, 03:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Looks almost the same as Aura's heatsink, just with the copper pipe with the NB.

They could've extended it all the way down and made the heatpipe smaller, added some more surface.

Asus 970 Pro Gaming Aura * FX8320@4.75GHz * G1 GTX970 * 2x4GB HyperX 1866MHz DDR3 @ 2220MHz
post #67899 of 68054 Old 12-13-2017, 11:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 302
Yes, the GD80 has by far the best designed heat sink of any AM3+ board and as a consequence has the coolest running vrms. The heat sink on the Sabertooth is poorly designed and is just barely adequate.

When the vrms on my Sabertooth hit 81C, then my OC would fail. The hotter the vrms get, then the less load they can handle.

post-flame-small.gif 5ghz-overclock-club post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gif 1ghz-overclock-club post-flame-small.gifdevil.gif| 5ghz 24/7 club| devil.gif

CALEXIT
post #67900 of 68054 Old 12-13-2017, 01:03 PM

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklkit View Post

Yes, the GD80 has by far the best designed heat sink of any AM3+ board and as a consequence has the coolest running vrms. The heat sink on the Sabertooth is poorly designed and is just barely adequate.

When the vrms on my Sabertooth hit 81C, then my OC would fail. The hotter the vrms get, then the less load they can handle.

i got a couple of 40mm fans on my vrm heat sinks, i wanted to put a 140mm across the area and give much higher airflow but thats just not possible with their locations

still mine dont seem inclined to climb above 60c although the radiator does seem to hit 40c on the h115i with my 8350 @4.82 on 1.45v today after i pulled the second pair of fans off it which is kinda surprising especially since the cpu was registering a package temp of 45 degrees whilst the socket temp was staying fairly frosty at 50c....

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page