AMD Bulldozer and Piledriver Overclocking Guide - Asus Motherboard - Page 239 - Overclock.net

View Poll Results: Was this helpful?
Yes 408 96.91%
No 13 3.09%
Voters: 421. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #2381 of 4111 Old 04-26-2014, 05:21 AM
please keep drinking the koolaide

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 700
set to manual on what settings ?

Rigbuilder and how to put it in your sig post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gif budget components = budget resultsPearls before swine! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 go_quote.gif

Also rma wise, regardless of what vendor used it's always like getting a tooth pulled imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged go_quote.gif

I facepalmed when trying to explain cpu and gpu overclocking to him after he got his 4930k. It was like teaching trigonometry to a rock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 go_quote.gif

That's like wrapping your car around a pole then asking for warranty service.
Dont be hard on yourself, we all break stuff sooner or later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables go_quote.gif

I don't appreciate your judgment here. I am just stating facts. That's all I'm doing. If you are taking offense to it or something, then that's not my problem, so don't put it on me. Ok?...Good god man. You would know that if you would actually carefully read...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2382 of 4111 Old 04-26-2014, 05:28 AM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer505 View Post

So i have set all recommended settings per the guide (HPC disabled because of freezing)

My temps sky rocket, (when everything is default my temps never go above 61C socket)

But with everything set to manual it will get up too 73C and 62 on the cores (thats when i turn off prime 95)(in less than 5 minutes)

Any idea at all? I'd greatly appreciate it.

My cpu cooler is a thermalright macho 120 rev A with a coolermaster sickleflow 120mm strapped on (its better than the stock fan)

Oh and its like 76F in my house i know that doesn't help but it still only hits 61c on auto prime95 for like 15 minutes

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Temps going higher when you set everything up based on this guide is normal, things like LLC stress the VRMs higher and heat up the socket. I saw a similar increase in temps with my FX-8350 cooled by an Arctic A30, these chips run quite hot. This guide let me get up 4.5GHz without increasing voltages though.
Try putting a fan on the back of the socket. If you have a good fan it can give a noticeable difference in temps. You could try using the stock fan of your cooler. Attach it with cable ties or double sided tape on the cooler's backplate. Thermal paste can also make a difference. What are you using and how did you apply it? The credit card method isn't considered very good anymore, just put a rice grain in the centre of the CPU. Some good pastes are Gelid GC-Extreme and Arctic Silver 5, I use the slightly cheaper Arctic MX4 and that's pretty good as well. Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra is also considered good, but it's highly conductive, so if you get it on the motherboard it may cause a short, so be careful when applying.
As far as setting the BIOS goes, some people run CPU LLC on high rather than ultra, which will generate less heat, but increases vdroop, so you need slightly higher CPU voltage to keep it stable. Didn't work for me, but has worked for many others.
Razer505 likes this.

devil.gif [Official] AMD R9 280X / 280 & 270X Owners Club devil.gif
post #2383 of 4111 Old 04-26-2014, 05:34 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 42
Quote:
Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra is also considered good, but it's highly conductive, so if you get it on the motherboard it may cause a short, so be careful when applying.

It also eats aluminum, but with his Thermalright macho 120 rev A hes OK in that regard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2384 of 4111 Old 04-26-2014, 08:36 AM
Commodore 64

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1kuTheAwesome View Post

Temps going higher when you set everything up based on this guide is normal, things like LLC stress the VRMs higher and heat up the socket. I saw a similar increase in temps with my FX-8350 cooled by an Arctic A30, these chips run quite hot. This guide let me get up 4.5GHz without increasing voltages though.
Try putting a fan on the back of the socket. If you have a good fan it can give a noticeable difference in temps. You could try using the stock fan of your cooler. Attach it with cable ties or double sided tape on the cooler's backplate. Thermal paste can also make a difference. What are you using and how did you apply it? The credit card method isn't considered very good anymore, just put a rice grain in the centre of the CPU. Some good pastes are Gelid GC-Extreme and Arctic Silver 5, I use the slightly cheaper Arctic MX4 and that's pretty good as well. Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra is also considered good, but it's highly conductive, so if you get it on the motherboard it may cause a short, so be careful when applying.
As far as setting the BIOS goes, some people run CPU LLC on high rather than ultra, which will generate less heat, but increases vdroop, so you need slightly higher CPU voltage to keep it stable. Didn't work for me, but has worked for many others.

Wow i didn't figure it would get that hot. Im disappointed in this cooler. i figured it's basically i hyper 212 with bigger surface area. The thing is my clock was at 4000 when all the recommended settings were set so i was surprised to see a spike that high in temps...(also it will auto clock to like 4.1 or something wimpy lol)

As for method i used the pea method and Chill factor 3 thermal paste.

My case is somewhat small too, thermaltake v3 with 2 fans in and one out (the out is same speed as cpu cooler)

So... about this cooler, should i just give up and go get a hydro h100i? lol
post #2385 of 4111 Old 04-26-2014, 09:21 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 42
Quote:
But with everything set to manual it will get up too 73C and 62 on the cores (thats when i turn off prime 95)(in less than 5 minutes)(when everything is default my temps never go above 61C socket)
Quote:
Oh and its like 76F in my house i know that doesn't help
Quote:

Whats your motherboard temp ?

I wouldnt give up yet, you just probably have something set too high in bios unnecessarily. And you could probably use a second high pressure fan on the thermalright macho 120 along with a fan on the back of the mobo and a fan on the vrm heatsink.
Razer505 likes this.
post #2386 of 4111 Old 04-26-2014, 09:23 AM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 5
Quote:

Wow i didn't figure it would get that hot. Im disappointed in this cooler. i figured it's basically i hyper 212 with bigger surface area. The thing is my clock was at 4000 when all the recommended settings were set so i was surprised to see a spike that high in temps...(also it will auto clock to like 4.1 or something wimpy lol)

As for method i used the pea method and Chill factor 3 thermal paste.

My case is somewhat small too, thermaltake v3 with 2 fans in and one out (the out is same speed as cpu cooler)

If you set everything up based on the guide you should be able to overclock from stock a bit without raising vcore and without increasing temps. Give it a try, set everything based on the guide, set the vcore manually to what the BIOS is saying it runs at and up the multi a bit. Increasing the clock itself doesn't increase temps as long as you don't bump the vcore.
Your thermal paste seems like good stuff based on some reviews I just looked up. Pretty much the same performance as the GC-Extreme.

devil.gif [Official] AMD R9 280X / 280 & 270X Owners Club devil.gif
post #2387 of 4111 Old 04-26-2014, 11:41 AM
Commodore 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1kuTheAwesome View Post

If you set everything up based on the guide you should be able to overclock from stock a bit without raising vcore and without increasing temps. Give it a try, set everything based on the guide, set the vcore manually to what the BIOS is saying it runs at and up the multi a bit. Increasing the clock itself doesn't increase temps as long as you don't bump the vcore.
Your thermal paste seems like good stuff based on some reviews I just looked up. Pretty much the same performance as the GC-Extreme.

I will later today i have a few errands to run first,

i also just ordered 2 Coolermaster Jetflo 120's i'll strap one on the cooler and the other for exhaust.

Also i ordered some silver 5 and that cleaning kit or whatever it is... (glorified rubbing alcohol lol)

I'll try later tonight with everything as is, on Tuesday when everything arrives I'll hook it up and see if i get any improvements. I was originally upset because it was overheating with recommended settings at stock clocks per the guide.

That Cooler of yours the Freezer A30 looks similar to mine could i ask what you have you cpu/nb volts at? its says 1.25-1.3v but that isnt specific (when i set it to what it was automatically on my pc froze up) i had it set at 1.27v with those high temps at 4ghz

(P.s thank you very much for your time!)
post #2388 of 4111 Old 04-26-2014, 01:12 PM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 123
Quote:

I will later today i have a few errands to run first,

i also just ordered 2 Coolermaster Jetflo 120's i'll strap one on the cooler and the other for exhaust.

Also i ordered some silver 5 and that cleaning kit or whatever it is... (glorified rubbing alcohol lol)

I'll try later tonight with everything as is, on Tuesday when everything arrives I'll hook it up and see if i get any improvements. I was originally upset because it was overheating with recommended settings at stock clocks per the guide.

That Cooler of yours the Freezer A30 looks similar to mine could i ask what you have you cpu/nb volts at? its says 1.25-1.3v but that isnt specific (when i set it to what it was automatically on my pc froze up) i had it set at 1.27v with those high temps at 4ghz

(P.s thank you very much for your time!)

i'd be more concerned why u considered your cooler would be good at that price.....

U didnt scrimp on the other components so why did u for the cooler?

The 8350 takes some cooling

Hurricane28 "My English is just fine, probably even better than yours as i have American blood"
post #2389 of 4111 Old 04-26-2014, 01:20 PM
Commodore 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertruude View Post

i'd be more concerned why u considered your cooler would be good at that price.....

U didnt scrimp on the other components so why did u for the cooler?

The 8350 takes some cooling

Well i'm a bit leery of water cooling (even though i would like one) and my case doesn't have much room in it. The dimensions of that cooler has more surface area than a hyper 212 which i have heard people clocking to 4.5ghz its the same price range/ similar engineering and a solid brand (makers of the silver arrow). I came to the conclusion it was worth a try. obviously i was mistaken
post #2390 of 4111 Old 04-26-2014, 01:24 PM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 123
Quote:

Well i'm a bit leery of water cooling (even though i would like one) and my case doesn't have much room in it. The dimensions of that cooler has more surface area than a hyper 212 which i have heard people clocking to 4.5ghz its the same price range/ similar engineering and a solid brand (makers of the silver arrow). I came to the conclusion it was worth a try. obviously i was mistaken

u dont need to WC smile.gif

i started on a noctua NH-U12S then i went to nh-d14 but its a bit beefy and needs a big enough case for it

we see it alot in the vishera thread that some people scrimp on the cooler

Hurricane28 "My English is just fine, probably even better than yours as i have American blood"

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page