Considering AMD - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 82 Old 04-20-2013, 10:56 PM
Overclocker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I'd recommend the AsRock 990FX Extreme9, that is if you want full quality. Another motherboard that matches up to it similarly would be the ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 82 Old 04-20-2013, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

Liked: 116

Does this look good??

post #13 of 82 Old 04-21-2013, 08:32 AM

Liked: 1536
haswell is 2month away

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 82 Old 04-21-2013, 08:48 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 83
just a question why you want AMD? not starting a flame war so dont even... its just your chip wouldnt be far behind amd 8 core in gaming anyways, and if it isnt bottleknecking your 2 7970's its doing quite alright, i'd wait..
how much you got to spend anyways?

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  1 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  BOINC Pentathlon Participant  

post #15 of 82 Old 04-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 160
I would suggest a asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 5year warranty and tuf series board designed for torture with military components basically these are meant to last for years under the most torturing abuse and have almost every option the asus crosshair v have.

i dont know why i did it or why i will do it again

devil.gif| 5ghz 24/7 club| devil.gifdevil.gif| AUTHENTIC AMD FX 9370/9590 FAN CLUB | devil.gif
post-flame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club post-flame-small.gif
post #16 of 82 Old 04-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbags View Post

just a question why you want AMD? not starting a flame war so dont even... its just your chip wouldnt be far behind amd 8 core in gaming anyways, and if it isnt bottleknecking your 2 7970's its doing quite alright, i'd wait..
how much you got to spend anyways?

as me and many others have pointed out the upcoming steamroller will fit in the am3+ cpu socket same socket as amd fx 8320-8350 so it will give him a route for upgrade without having to completely start over on everything like motherboard / cpu / ram and so on basically it will give him a future not a dead socket.

I also want to add it will do so for a far cheaper price from what I and many other have seen the cheapest I5 haswell price will be starting around $250 ( CPU only ) going all the way upto around $500 ( CPU only ) for the lowend I7 haswell when he can go amd total for around $350 (CPU and motherboard ) and have option to upgrade CPU to steamroller ( likely around $200- $250). I see the amd route a much cheaper non dead socket with room to expand on unlike the Intel route for less than 1/2 the cost Intel motherboards of = quality to exact AMD version are often 2-3 times the price the amd version is I will give an example

INTEL board is $327 http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Sabertooth-X79-Intel-Motherboard/dp/B0061XSBZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366558023&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+sabertooth+x79+motherboard

amd board is $179.99 http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-SABERTOOTH-990FX-R2-0-Motherboard/dp/B008YDJHWM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366558046&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+sabertooth+990fx

that is a premium on almost exact boards minus 1 is intel 1 is amd (not a dead socket and will socket steamroller ) the premium there to go Intel and get a dead socket is $147.01 more I see this as weird and not worth it in my eyes.

devil.gif| 5ghz 24/7 club| devil.gifdevil.gif| AUTHENTIC AMD FX 9370/9590 FAN CLUB | devil.gif
post #17 of 82 Old 04-21-2013, 09:47 AM

Liked: 1536
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcooperjr View Post

as me and many others have pointed out the upcoming steamroller will fit in the am3+ cpu socket same socket as amd fx 8320-8350 so it will give him a route for upgrade without having to completely start over on everything like motherboard / cpu / ram and so on basically it will give him a future not a dead socket.

I also want to add it will do so for a far cheaper price from what I and many other have seen the cheapest I5 haswell price will be starting around $250 ( CPU only ) going all the way upto around $500 ( CPU only ) for the lowend I7 haswell when he can go amd total for around $350 (CPU and motherboard ) and have option to upgrade CPU to steamroller ( likely around $200- $250). I see the amd route a much cheaper non dead socket with room to expand on unlike the Intel route for less than 1/2 the cost Intel motherboards of = quality to exact AMD version are often 2-3 times the price the amd version is I will give an example

INTEL board is $327 http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Sabertooth-X79-Intel-Motherboard/dp/B0061XSBZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366558023&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+sabertooth+x79+motherboard

amd board is $179.99 http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-SABERTOOTH-990FX-R2-0-Motherboard/dp/B008YDJHWM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366558046&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+sabertooth+990fx

that is a premium on almost exact boards minus 1 is intel 1 is amd (not a dead socket and will socket steamroller ) the premium there to go Intel and get a dead socket is $147.01 more I see this as weird and not worth it in my eyes.

you are comparing TWO diffferent models of socket, one enthusiast and the other mainstream.. do you believe that a 8core amd cpu is better than a quad core intel cpu with HT? rolleyes.gif

post #18 of 82 Old 04-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Overclocker

actualy both boards are top tier for each company amd / Intel so how is that not comparative also the amd one will also socket the next gen ( steamroller )top tier amd cpu unlike the intel one and yes in a lot of case the amd fx 8350 will perform nearly same or better than a Intel quad with HT in a lot of cases then bring in the overclocking and same happens for less than 1/2 the price. I am sorry I see it crazy to pay 2 times the money to only get a 4-10 fps increase at best in most cases.

I will put it like this the 8350 will perform perfectly fine for gaming and will easily keep you in the good fps range on almost any game if not then overclock it and I quarantee it will for 1/2 the price and you still have room to upgrade to next gen cpu the steamroller I play all my games maxxed out with ease on 3x hd 7970 gpu's with nearly no bottlenecking at all at 4.8ghz x8 my main rig I only use for gaming (the one in my sig ) and nothing else and trust me it flies at any game I set it at I have yet to find a game unplayable or under playable framrate so if you want to pay the premium for an overpriced Intel have at it and waste the extra cash that you could invest into ssd / another graphics card and so on.

I also want to point out from here forward games will be oriented more towards the new AMD architecture due to AMD winning the contracts on nearly all the consoles and they will be running the jaquar core cpu a 8core AMD ( similar to AMD fx cpu's but downclocked) this meens games will be more geared towards AMD also these are also powered by AMD graphics lol in the area of a AMD ati radeon HD 7000 series GPU / APU this is for xbox720 / ps4 and likely steam piston and many more so next gen games will be designed around AMD architecture along with be dx11 standard not a dx9 console ported over to dx11 like it has been in past.

I see the above information giving AMD a huge leap forward in advancement (by meens of added funds for R&D ) also from a programing standpoint an edge in games being better coded for AMD is a huge benefit to AMD CPU's/GPU's/APU's period and removes a lot of biased compilers now in a lot of the games out leaning towards Intel.

I want to point out almost all games are first designed around console then ported over to pc as of lately and in past this will no longer hamper the outcome once the newwer games are being made on the new consoles the pc will see a huge leap forward in the graphics field along with a lot better games period (aka less buggy ) and games will no longer be designed around a console version of 30fps dx9 then bumped up to dx11 at 60+ fps what this meens is a lot for us the gamers and it is a huge leap forward for AMD in many ways.

post #19 of 82 Old 04-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Overclocker

I also want to point out as resolution goes up lets say 1920x1080 the games fps wise become less dependant on the CPU and more on the GPU so if you play at a more common res of 1080p and such the CPU is even less of a factor but even then if it is overclock it a bit and get best of both worlds the amd fx 8320-8350 overclock so easily it isn't even funny and the 8350 went to 4.6ghz x8@ 1.368v (100% stable ) a hair over stock voltage so the 8350 has a good amount of overhead if need be.

I also want to point out don't listen to people telling you the AMD is such a power hog yes it draws more than an Intel but for the savings it pays for itself even when overclocked the price increase in a year is like $15 more power cost for an entire year I think the $250 or more savings going AMD route would cover that for well over the life of the setup if you use the unit for 16.6yrs it would add upto the extra cost of going Intel equivalent @ $250 which is a very low estimate of a number so don't listen to the hype about AMD will cost you an arm and a leg in power costs vs Intel.

post #20 of 82 Old 04-21-2013, 12:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Wait until Steamroller releases. There's a new iteration of the chipset en route, and I doubt you want to get stuff now only to be outdated when you buy the processor smile.gif

If I can hold on with a X6 1055T, you also can on a 930 rolleyes.gif

Chimp Challenge Participant 

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page