Another noobish boring question - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-12-2013, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all Ive been on this forum lurking for a few months now and reading alot on ocing and looking at all the amazing builds and rigs here. I learn alot here and was able to do my first successful oc but I now have a few questions.

I currently have a phenom 2 x3 720 BE that I oced to 3.2. I oced it just by augmenting the multiplier from 14 to 16 and after multiple hours of prime95 I had deemed it stable. Few days ago with cpu-z I noticed my core voltage at around 1.450v. I then took my voltage out of auto and back to stock voltage and began bringing it up slowly until I got it stable. So far I'm stable with prim95 for 2hour at 1.350.

Now here's my noob question. Is it normal for mobo to overvolt it in auto by quite a lot. (. 1v)???.

And secondly if I was to unlock my fourth core (wich I know is good) would I have to tweak the voltage again????

Thanks all for your help. If your wondering what my noob rig is its in my sig

Sent by me now Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-12-2013, 09:34 PM

Liked: 72
yes, auto overvolts a lot. that .1 is enough to increase the temp by quite a lot (easily 5-10c in a stress test)

the only way you can know if unlocking the next core will be okay is to do it and then increase voltage (start by .01-.02 segments until it is stable). As long as you keep the temps reasonable (aim for less than 60c under load in prime95), you will be good.
Ridingmac likes this.

1. If you don't agree with something I say, please don't flame me, either politely correct me, or send me a PM and tell me to fix it.
2. I have a severely jaded opinion on several subjects, almost everything i say should be taken with a grain of salt.
3. Finally, I'm here because i enjoy helping people. Anybody can mail me and i will respond trying to give as much help as i can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazio93
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
post #3 of 3 Old 10-12-2013, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
awesome thanks a lot . ill try unlocking the core tomorrow . thanks a lot for your help. + rep

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page