Which CPU Would Be Best? - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 36 Old 06-09-2016, 02:05 PM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just bombing in this thread to as OP @ThoraxImpaler if he got a satisfactory answer or suggestion... I feel the answer will not be positive, as there's already more Intel vs AMD posts than useful informations for a budget build.

I can't help you honestly, but would you mind telling us where do you live? It would help us know the current state of your market (prices and stock)...

And what's your budget ? Didn't see any actual hint about it (but I'm really tired so might have not seen it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 Old 06-09-2016, 04:09 PM

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlailScHLAMP View Post

give you a hint, that athlon x4 845 is what 75$?
only $59.98 cheers.gif
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/6zfmP6/amd-cpu-ad845xackasbx

post #13 of 36 Old 06-09-2016, 06:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 302
Guess what? The Witcher 3. 2015 game of the year.

Right now today intel quads are reporting 100% loads and bad stuttering. AMD FX octacores are running it butter smooth. The future is today.

post-flame-small.gif 5ghz-overclock-club post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gif 1ghz-overclock-club post-flame-small.gifdevil.gif| 5ghz 24/7 club| devil.gif

CALEXIT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 36 Old 06-09-2016, 06:29 PM
Mouse Aficionado

Liked: 313
Thread cleaned.

Reminder that threads posted in AMD CPU's section requesting for CPU choices are pretty particular. It was not found in the 'General CPU' or 'Intel CPU' section.

Please do not discuss this post and if you have any questions regarding this your welcome to PM me directly but not post here regarding moderation or cleaned thread per TOS.

Thank you kindly for respecting members that come to this section for particular needs.
post #15 of 36 Old 06-09-2016, 06:34 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7850K View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlailScHLAMP View Post

give you a hint, that athlon x4 845 is what 75$?
only $59.98 cheers.gif
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/6zfmP6/amd-cpu-ad845xackasbx

75$ CDN tongue.gif
post #16 of 36 Old 06-09-2016, 08:17 PM
Politically Incorrect

Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undervolter View Post

@ OP

I post these to have an overall idea of comparisons for the so far suggested solutions.

I picked the 8370 because it's easier to find in comparison charts. It matters not, consider it as an FX8300 at 4Ghz.

FX8370 vs i3 6100

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/359/AMD_FX-Series_FX-8370_vs_Intel_Core_i3_i3-6100.html

FX8370 vs i5 6400

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/366/AMD_FX-Series_FX-8370_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-6400.html

4Ghz is easily achievable for an 8300 even on decent 4+1 motherboards. The motherboard suggested by CravinR, should hit 4.4Ghz at least (mine goes to 4.5Ghz with my less stellar 8320, but i have rev1.0). Even i, run at 4Ghz. So you certainly don't push it to its limits, far from it. The "real" overclocking starts at 4.1 and beyond. But i think the links are useful to get an idea and consider any further overclock past 4Ghz an added bonus that you can have.

EDIT: As to FX vs FM2 CPU... The advantage of the FM2 CPUs, is 1) better single core performance clock for clock (about 10% average i think?) , 2) motherboards with PCIE 3.0 (for now they are not making a difference, i don't know about the future. Gamers can englighten on this).

The problem with the FM2 CPUs, is the same as the i3. They are currently being exploited at almost their full capacity. Meaning, if tomorrow new, heavier games come out, that use more than 4 threads, they will lag behind an FX, every time.The FX may perform a bit worse in some current games that use few threads (when at the same clock), but has much legroom for tomorrow. If a game loads 100% an quad core FM2, it means it loads 50% an FX at about the same clock. Which means, the FX has still 50% untapped potential for heavier games of tomorrow. So, with the reserve of the PCIE 3 vs 2 , the FX is always better choice.

Actually in the lastest games the FX8xxx's are rivalling Inte's 3770/4770's due to core use. Games that can use all eight cores are leaving even the 2500K and other Intel quad cores behind, let alone the Athlon X4's.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
post #17 of 36 Old 06-09-2016, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 0
This is far more responses than I expected; thanks for letting me pick your brains. Clustered response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyB View Post

Got lo love intel fans bombarding the amd forums...

the 860k is a good chip, I build one for a friend and he's having a great time with gaming on it. the key with them is to overclock it to around 4.2 to 4.4 ghz, nothing crazy. I think i had success at 4.6ghz when i built it, but lowered it back down to something reasonable.

the 8300 is an interesting chip. I want to play with one, but cant justify the purchase when i already have 2 computers. If your looking for longevity in the amd line at a low price, this may be the right chip over the FM2+ lineup. The 6300 was good when it came out, but theres not much reason to pay basically the same price as the 8300 for it.

to add to the intel vs amd arguement...generally intel will produce higher frame rates while costing more. But, if your like me, i just run at 60hz so it doesn't matter much. I wouldn't consider an i3 as the future is moving towards more multi-core usage. An intel quad would be my bare minimum requirement. With the 8300, you get 8. Seems a no brainer at the price point.

Thank you; appreciate your time. My only concern for the FX chips was the astounding lack of mATX motherboard options. ASRock has the only decent motherboard for AM3+ (in terms of chipset and in my opinion at least); and based on how their customer service has handled the constant complaints about that particular board, I'd say the company well knows it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undervolter View Post

@ OP

I post these to have an overall idea of comparisons for the so far suggested solutions.

I picked the 8370 because it's easier to find in comparison charts. It matters not, consider it as an FX8300 at 4Ghz.

FX8370 vs i3 6100

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/359/AMD_FX-Series_FX-8370_vs_Intel_Core_i3_i3-6100.html

FX8370 vs i5 6400

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/366/AMD_FX-Series_FX-8370_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-6400.html

4Ghz is easily achievable for an 8300 even on decent 4+1 motherboards. The motherboard suggested by CravinR, should hit 4.4Ghz at least (mine goes to 4.5Ghz with my less stellar 8320, but i have rev1.0). Even i, run at 4Ghz. So you certainly don't push it to its limits, far from it. The "real" overclocking starts at 4.1 and beyond. But i think the links are useful to get an idea and consider any further overclock past 4Ghz an added bonus that you can have.

EDIT: As to FX vs FM2 CPU... The advantage of the FM2 CPUs, is 1) better single core performance clock for clock (about 10% average i think?) , 2) motherboards with PCIE 3.0 (for now they are not making a difference, i don't know about the future. Gamers can englighten on this).

The problem with the FM2 CPUs, is the same as the i3. They are currently being exploited at almost their full capacity. Meaning, if tomorrow new, heavier games come out, that use more than 4 threads, they will lag behind an FX, every time.The FX may perform a bit worse in some current games that use few threads (when at the same clock), but has much legroom for tomorrow. If a game loads 100% an quad core FM2, it means it loads 50% an FX at about the same clock. Which means, the FX has still 50% untapped potential for heavier games of tomorrow. So, with the reserve of the PCIE 3 vs 2 , the FX is always better choice.

Thanks for the response. Utilization was my biggest concern for the FM2+ chips. If the 8300 can hit 4GHz on a decent 4+1 power phase, I may end up doing that. Could be a fun project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HZCH View Post

Just bombing in this thread to as OP @ThoraxImpaler if he got a satisfactory answer or suggestion... I feel the answer will not be positive, as there's already more Intel vs AMD posts than useful informations for a budget build.

I can't help you honestly, but would you mind telling us where do you live? It would help us know the current state of your market (prices and stock)...

And what's your budget ? Didn't see any actual hint about it (but I'm really tired so might have not seen it)

Well, I'd say I've got enough to make my decision. I live in central California so ambient heat is a HUGE problem during the summer; but I've got a decent AC unit that keeps my apartment nice and cool without breaking the my wallet in half. Plus I undervolt/underclock everything as much as I can to prevent unnecessary heat unless I'm gaming or the like. As for budget; well, I'm only purchasing a CPU, ram, and a motherboard. I have plenty of components lying around or just sitting in their boxes; cases, PSUs, hard drives, GPUs etc..... Safe to say, I have a problem. I'm not really feeling anything above $300; as I may just sell this rig or gift it to a friend around the time Zen finally graces us with its presence. I'll post back what I end up going with and how it's working for me; for anyone who is interested. Won't be buying until next week so plenty of time to chew on this information. Thank you again everybody.
post #18 of 36 Old 06-10-2016, 12:18 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainy1991 View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Well damn if you can get an 8320 for that price.... hell yeah... I really need to stop weighing in on stuff when it comes to price as things are soo much different here biggrin.gif

I wouldn't go for a 212 with the 8320 though not unless the room is COLD year round.
My 8320 gets damnnnn hot! (have to revert back to stock clocks in spring/summer) with a much better cooler... Though my ambient in spring are hotter than 95% of the US in the dead of summer lol

Dont underrate california. Last summer, it was 11pm and the temperature was 105F. About 40C. And its also fun when the sahara desert gets more rain than here in the los angeles area per year.

Games currently playing: Red Orchestra 2
post #19 of 36 Old 06-10-2016, 12:56 AM
x264 Enthusiast

Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoraxImpaler View Post

This is far more responses than I expected; thanks for letting me pick your brains. Clustered response:
Thank you; appreciate your time. My only concern for the FX chips was the astounding lack of mATX motherboard options. ASRock has the only decent motherboard for AM3+ (in terms of chipset and in my opinion at least); and based on how their customer service has handled the constant complaints about that particular board, I'd say the company well knows it.
Thanks for the response. Utilization was my biggest concern for the FM2+ chips. If the 8300 can hit 4GHz on a decent 4+1 power phase, I may end up doing that. Could be a fun project.
Well, I'd say I've got enough to make my decision. I live in central California so ambient heat is a HUGE problem during the summer; but I've got a decent AC unit that keeps my apartment nice and cool without breaking the my wallet in half. Plus I undervolt/underclock everything as much as I can to prevent unnecessary heat unless I'm gaming or the like. As for budget; well, I'm only purchasing a CPU, ram, and a motherboard. I have plenty of components lying around or just sitting in their boxes; cases, PSUs, hard drives, GPUs etc..... Safe to say, I have a problem. I'm not really feeling anything above $300; as I may just sell this rig or gift it to a friend around the time Zen finally graces us with its presence. I'll post back what I end up going with and how it's working for me; for anyone who is interested. Won't be buying until next week so plenty of time to chew on this information. Thank you again everybody.

Ah, mATX and FX don't go well together. The Asrcok 970M Pro, according to reports in the forum, can run at 4Ghz, but quality wise, is the worst motherboard choice you can make. It will run hot, it's a trait of all Asrock 970 motherboards. I suppose you could run it, if you add a small fan to blow over the VRM heatsink...

Quality wise, this is the best maTX:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5195#ov

But it has older chipset, so you lose SATA3 and get SATA2 instead.

The motherboard suggested by CravinR, is the most approriate really. But if you want something a bit cheaper, this is the best 4+1 motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128627

Avoid MSI and Asrock cheap motherboards. If you want 4+1 absolutely, then you need either Gigabyte or ASUS with VRM heatsink. 4Ghz on 4+1 can be done, because you will be undervolted in practice (you need about 1.28v for 4Ghz) and the CPU will be running as 110W part. But, there is no way around that the motherboard will run hotter, so if you go 4+1, you 'd better get either Gigabyte or ASUS heatsinked in the VRM section. Like i said, there are people in the forum that say that the Asrock can do it too, but quality wise the Asrock is worse, it heats more and thus, longevity wise, there are increased risks.

See here Asrock's warning:
* For cooling the CPU and its surrounding components, please install a CPU cooler with a top-down blowing design.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970M%20Pro3/?cat=CPU

Trust me, Asrock doesn't put that by accident. MSI also used to have warning on her cheap 4+1 motherboards, saying "please don't run burn-in tools on it" (like, "don't run Prime95, for your own sake").

To be frank, if mATX was the only thing you wanted, as a whole platform, FM2 is better. If i were to get that Asrock 970M motherboard, i 'd definitely add a small fan to blow on the VRM, just as precaution. If you intend to put a 4+1 mATX insde a tiny case with poor airflow, then you will have problems with the FX. 4+1 undervolted can run 4Ghz, but you need a decent airflow inside the case.

PLEASE, don't PM me to solve your computer problems privately. That's what the forum is for.
post #20 of 36 Old 06-10-2016, 04:44 AM
Misogamist

Liked: 982
Undervolter,

The GA-78LMT-USB3 is a 4+1 VRM phase motherboard. But its overclocking is horrible on the newer revision. I built a 8320e + GA-78LMT-USB3 and had a terrible time.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1599087/fx-8320e-ga-78lmt-usb3-rev-6-0/0_100

3770k@4.5 http://valid.x86.fr/0lv27p
8350@4.5 http://valid.x86.fr/rgh5nk
4670k@4.4 http://valid.x86.fr/swavhi
8310@4.5 http://valid.x86.fr/3nxlhi
Asus G75vw http://valid.x86.fr/tdt7t7
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4inkill3r go_quote.gif

Also, we're discussing intel because it seems like there's no way to enforce pure-AMD build threads in this forum. It should be renamed the 'you really want intel instead' forum.

1 Million+ Folding at Home points  Chimp Challenge Championship Team  Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page