Worth pushing my 4400+ further? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-13-2008, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 72
As you probably notice, this is my first post. I've been lurking here for a while and find this site a great resource. My overclocking experience has finally led me to post a question here. Currently, I am running an Athlon x2 4400+ and have achieved a stable overclock at up to 2.9GHz on stock cooling. However, I have a slight dilemma. In order to reach 2.9GHz, I must increase vcore to 1.520v in the BIOS, which is reported somewhat higher in CPUZ (I'm not currently at this speed and cannot find the exact voltage). At 2.88GHz, I can remain stable at 1.450v in BIOS, reported 1.488v in CPUZ. In order to reach 2.850GHz, I need only increase vcore to 1.4 volts. It appears that I have very nearly hit the limit of my processor, no matter how much voltage is applied.
My processor, being a Brisbane, has a faulty thermal sensor and is not reported correctly by any programs but Speedfan. Strangely, Speedfan reports what appears to be an accurate temperature on Temp2. I have determined that this temperature does change with adjustments that would alter processor heat output such as stalling the heatsink fan or a voltage increase, giving me reason to believe is it somewhat accurate. At a full 2.9GHz, the processor reaches around 63c. This does not seem to be a very desirable temperature. Consequently, I see two options for my overclock / cooling problem. 1. I could remain at a safe temperature with a slightly lower clock speed and stock cooling or 2. I could purchase an aftermarket cooler and attempt to push the processor further with up to the 1.55v that my motherboard can supply. Given the severely diminishing returns that I am now experiencing, I am inclined to choose the first option, however I would appreciate the opinions of more experienced overclockers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-13-2008, 07:46 PM
=^_^=

Liked: 284
Welcome to OCN !

hmm, I would say to stay with your current OC. I have a similar situation with my CPU. I can get to 2.8 at a relatively low voltage, but to go to 3.0Ghz or higher I have to bump the voltage up to 1.5v or higher. So in my opinion it isn't really worth it. I do advise to get a nice after market cooler though, your CPU will probably be more stable than with the stock one.

2 Million+ Folding at Home points  Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

post #3 of 5 Old 03-13-2008, 07:49 PM

Liked: 101
i'd say stick with that OC, thats not bad at all

RIP SYRILLIAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitteo go_quote.gif
The biggest contribution we can make F@h is by spreading the word. A farm of 100 people will last longer than a farm of 100 GPUs.
(450x8)proof.gif (417x9)proof.gif (425x9)proof.gif

2 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-13-2008, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 72
Thanks for the replies. I think I most likely will keep a reasonable voltage and clock speed. Would a cooler such as a Tuniq Tower or TRUE be advisable if I'm looking to upgrade to an intel platform within the year? I seem to recall that each of those is compatible with both LGA775 and AM2.
Arg, overclocking and upgrades are going to make me broke. But it's so addicting...

BTW, is it actually realistic that I can reach almost 2.9GHz at 60c load with a stock cooler? I have a slight suspicion that the processor really is hotter and on the brink of fire / smoke.

post #5 of 5 Old 03-13-2008, 08:06 PM
=^_^=

Liked: 284
I have heard good things about the Tuniq Tower (very good cooling), the only thing I don't like about it is that it is massive.

2 Million+ Folding at Home points  Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page