Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-19-2005, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hopefully someone here can answer this.
I have my settings now at x11 and 253 FSB. This gets (for all you math dummies) 2783MHz. This is at voltage 1.475 (not incredibly high for an OPTY). For some reason, I am hitting a wall here. HT is at 4, ram (which is corsair xms 2GB ddr400) is at 3-3-3-7/266 divider. I am stable at this speed, temps ranging from 40 idle 50 load. My max fsb tested out at 314. However even when increasing the voltage, i can't get any higher in terms of CPU speed without rebooting.
I am pretty sure the cabye can do better than this, from what ive read, and the temps arent too bad, is there something i can/should do in order to increase my potential for OC'ing?

also, 3dmark score came at 266 x10. This (from what im told) doesnt make sense that it should beat 253 x11, but should i maybe keep it at 266 x10 instead? even though its a slower CPU speed?
other than that, i can't recommend the opteron enough, this chip OWNS on all benchmarks i have run so far. if you can get your hands on a CABYE or CABNE, do it, even over an fx53.
thanks for the help.

Proud Opterownxorgrouphug.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-19-2005, 01:57 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by passthegumbo
Hopefully someone here can answer this.
I have my settings now at x11 and 253 FSB. This gets (for all you math dummies) 2783MHz. This is at voltage 1.475 (not incredibly high for an OPTY). For some reason, I am hitting a wall here. HT is at 4, ram (which is corsair xms 2GB ddr400) is at 3-3-3-7/266 divider. I am stable at this speed, temps ranging from 40 idle 50 load. My max fsb tested out at 314. However even when increasing the voltage, i can't get any higher in terms of CPU speed without rebooting.
I am pretty sure the cabye can do better than this, from what ive read, and the temps arent too bad, is there something i can/should do in order to increase my potential for OC'ing?

also, 3dmark score came at 266 x10. This (from what im told) doesnt make sense that it should beat 253 x11, but should i maybe keep it at 266 x10 instead? even though its a slower CPU speed?
other than that, i can't recommend the opteron enough, this chip OWNS on all benchmarks i have run so far. if you can get your hands on a CABYE or CABNE, do it, even over an fx53.
thanks for the help.
Take your HTT down to 3 first off... And FX-53's are old and phooey..

post #3 of 6 Old 12-19-2005, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Liked: 0
will that hurt overall performance? like having a 2.8 with HT 4 or a 2.9 with HT3?

Proud Opterownxorgrouphug.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-19-2005, 02:11 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by passthegumbo
will that hurt overall performance? like having a 2.8 with HT 4 or a 2.9 with HT3?
No. A 2.9 with HT3 would annihilate that 2.8.

post #5 of 6 Old 12-19-2005, 02:22 PM
audio aficionado

Liked: 593
yeah you want to keep your htt at 1000Mhz or below. anything more will usually make your whole system unstable.

Current Sound: ODAC > SA Reference IC > Musical Paradise MP-301 6v6 tube amp> Tekton Designs 4.1 loudspeakers

post #6 of 6 Old 12-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Going Broke Overclocking

Liked: 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloz2
yeah you want to keep your htt at 1000Mhz or below. anything more will usually make your whole system unstable.
What he said
5x @ 200
4x above 200-250
3x above 250-333
You can squeek a we bit beyond 1000 but test for instability ... 1040-1080 is asking for instability and running on the edge which is best avoided.
As you have been doing... watch the temps and the Optys seem to have a sweet spot for the vcore. Let it be for a while and try the vcore changes in a few days... 1.5ish-1.6 with good temps and find the vcore that yields the best OC.

1. When OCing the CPU over reduce the RAM divider... that will take the RAM out of the equasion and allow you to work only the CPU OC.
2. Reducing the CPU's multiplyer by 2-3x to OC the RAM will get you the highest OC from the RAM and take the CPU out of the equasion.
3. 1 &2 will help you find the systems overall OC with less difficulty.
Of course, thest the CPU OC stability with Prime95 and/or OTTC.
The RAM test with memtest86 can be accomplished quicker with the "Memtest" How To near the bottom of the of the below link's guide.
http://www.overclock.net/faqs/38169-...roduction.html
bb mods's likes this.

Please DO NOT Cite the TOS, simply REPORT and DO NOT REPLY or quote it.
"Life is Learning, Learning is Sharing, Sharing is Life"
"Overclocking is like a drug addiction, the difference is we go broke improving our brain cells instead of destroying them!"
Where in the world to buy on-line
Dual or Multi Partition and Why
Everyone, GET Folding, it is important no matter how much you contribute smile.gif
Phenom II should be called Ph II, not a P II because it isn't an old Intel teaching.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page