post #681 of 2795 Old 02-23-2012, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaggio1103 View Post

So 20 runs of IBT.
3.5GHz @ only 1.24v!!!!!! Thats gotta be awesome right?
Oh and I dident break 50c on stock cooler either.biggrin.gif

The cpu actually is quite overvolted out of the box.

I'm too lazy to import this into a google spreadsheet, but this was my voltages from 3.0ghz all the way up to 4.4.

As you can see, it only requires 1.075vs to run at 3.0ghz. Talk about an overvolt out of the factory! You'll also notice the CPUNB requires less as well.

YMMV, but those are my findings. I have yet to do this with 6 cores, but it's in the works.

This is why I wish you could set voltages by individual cores. For the most part, I only need 1 or 2, but when I start really multitasking the additional ones help. Intel actually has the system right where you can shut off cores not in use to save power and completely boost cores that are in use. AMDs turbo was supposed to be the competitive solution, but it fell short, way short.

I've heard rumors that if you set the HTT high and the multi low, you can save some voltage headroom, but I'm yet to see this. Perhaps it was true, but with the new processors it is not. I'm still testing it, of course.

BadRobot likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #682 of 2795 Old 02-23-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralViolations View Post

Quote:
You say you have to drop your multiplier. Does that mean that the stock 200x15 is unstable for you? or have you increased the clock frequency? Post the settings you have for the x6 and x4, your motherboard, and ram so this thread can help you out smile.gif
Sorry for not being too clear, I was exhausted
I am not dropping my multiplier, I have it set at 18, for example and it will randomly switch down to 11x after 0minutes-2hours of use(sometimes it is instant, usually not).
Last night after posting this I decided to try once more. It has been running stable for 18+ hours now @3792.4MHz, multi- x18.5, 2050, FSB 205, NB-2255.
Running at x6 was similar, slightly lower multiplier and slightly higher(210) FSB.
It seems like if I have FSB much higher than that - I run into the multiplier dropping problem or stability issues.
I haven't really messed with the memory at all yet.
mobo - ga-970-ud3
ram - crucial(i think) 8gb ddr3 1600
Oh my temps havent gotten above 35C for x4 and ~37 for X6
Thanks!

What are the temps on the VRMs, they can be running too hot and forcing the CPU to throttle down. This could be especially prevalent while running it in 6 core mode.

You are running a gigabyte board and they are usually known for good VRM setups, but with huge, hulking modern day heatsinks, a lot of air is deprived from them.
rdr09 likes this.

post #683 of 2795 Old 02-23-2012, 06:53 AM

Liked: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy983 View Post

The cpu actually is quite overvolted out of the box.
I'm too lazy to import this into a google spreadsheet, but this was my voltages from 3.0ghz all the way up to 4.4.
As you can see, it only requires 1.075vs to run at 3.0ghz. Talk about an overvolt out of the factory! You'll also notice the CPUNB requires less as well.
YMMV, but those are my findings. I have yet to do this with 6 cores, but it's in the works.
This is why I wish you could set voltages by individual cores. For the most part, I only need 1 or 2, but when I start really multitasking the additional ones help. Intel actually has the system right where you can shut off cores not in use to save power and completely boost cores that are in use. AMDs turbo was supposed to be the competitive solution, but it fell short, way short.
I've heard rumors that if you set the HTT high and the multi low, you can save some voltage headroom, but I'm yet to see this. Perhaps it was true, but with the new processors it is not. I'm still testing it, of course.

ozzy,

can't wait to see the x6 results - +rep . . . anyway, i was playing last night and decided to run cinebench after the game (warm up) . . .

still working on it. i think my mobo is really limiting this chip's potential.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #684 of 2795 Old 02-23-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

ozzy,
can't wait to see the x6 results - +rep . . . anyway, i was playing last night and decided to run cinebench after the game (warm up) . . .
still working on it. i think my mobo is really limiting this chip's potential.

Well, it's newer than mine, and I get ~ the same results, and even people on the cutting edge of mobos, are still getting ~ the same.

It's just odd that most of the chips seem to have relatively the same limits. Kinda boring actually, lol.

post #685 of 2795 Old 02-23-2012, 07:13 AM

Liked: 844
i think this mobo came out in 2010. you're right, i was really surprised by yours. they keep us from buying the newer mobo that is for sure.

you got to spend more time playing than benching to kill the boredom. -lol.

i always give weight on your point of views. the club is fortunate to have you.thumb.gif
post #686 of 2795 Old 02-23-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

i think this mobo came out in 2010. you're right, i was really surprised by yours. they keep us from buying the newer mobo that is for sure.
you got to spend more time playing than benching to kill the boredom. -lol.
i always give weight on your point of views. the club is fortunate to have you.thumb.gif

That's why, atm, I'm working on the X6 voltage results, and last night I spent a good portion of it blowing zombies away in Call of Duty, lol.

I was very surprised this processor even worked in my system, given the age of the motherboard. Well, maybe worked isn't quite the right word. I expected it to post and maybe get some overclocking, but nothing near what I was able to do. Given my 7750 could only do 600 over stock, which was still respectable, but damn, this puppy gets over 1.3ghz.

My initial thoughts are that the IMC is still the weak link when overclocking -- it's unfortunate, you can't disable the L3 cache, lol.

post #687 of 2795 Old 02-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Case Modder

Liked: 87
I'm about to be forced to lower my Overclock because my motherboard is suffering, Even with my two High performance Scythe Slipstream fans running maxed the top temp I see is around 95F and at their lowest it gets around 110F.

bruce.gif~Official NZXT Tempest Evo Community~bruce.gif
post-flame-small.gif___~Proud Member/Case Modder~___post-flame-small.gif
~Misc. Quotes and Sayings~Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Originally Posted by Lordred:
I blame the the unicorns, they are holding out on the magic dust which allows Bulldozer to launch.

Originally Posted by Mike:
I used to care about the economy; then I took an arrow to the knee.

Originally Posted by PizzaMan:
how does the world know that you and your wife aren't sharing hardware?

Originally Posted by derfburger from Nyancraft:
So this is what it feels like to be unplugged from the Matrix...I mean Minecraft.

Originally Posted by frickfrock99:
I don't want to lay my eyes upon these Beelzebubian gene pool disasters again. I've already suffered enough.
post #688 of 2795 Old 02-23-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fateful_Ikkou View Post

I'm about to be forced to lower my Overclock because my motherboard is suffering, Even with my two High performance Scythe Slipstream fans running maxed the top temp I see is around 95F and at their lowest it gets around 110F.

What's suffering exactly? 110F is like 44C, well within margin, and I'd suspect your motherboard should well be able to handle the power requirements without the VRMs overheating.

post #689 of 2795 Old 02-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Case Modder

Liked: 87
Quote:

What's suffering exactly? 110F is like 44C, well within margin, and I'd suspect your motherboard should well be able to handle the power requirements without the VRMs overheating.

I'm used to seeing my motherboard below 90F on a normal basis and seeing it higher than that kinda freaks me out especially when you look over during a match of BF3 and see it approaching 120F. Really though I don't want my motherboard to start degrading because of the strain. Correct me if I'm wrong but if these conditions continue wouldn't it shorten it's lifespan?

bruce.gif~Official NZXT Tempest Evo Community~bruce.gif
post-flame-small.gif___~Proud Member/Case Modder~___post-flame-small.gif
~Misc. Quotes and Sayings~Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Originally Posted by Lordred:
I blame the the unicorns, they are holding out on the magic dust which allows Bulldozer to launch.

Originally Posted by Mike:
I used to care about the economy; then I took an arrow to the knee.

Originally Posted by PizzaMan:
how does the world know that you and your wife aren't sharing hardware?

Originally Posted by derfburger from Nyancraft:
So this is what it feels like to be unplugged from the Matrix...I mean Minecraft.

Originally Posted by frickfrock99:
I don't want to lay my eyes upon these Beelzebubian gene pool disasters again. I've already suffered enough.
post #690 of 2795 Old 02-23-2012, 01:46 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:

What are the temps on the VRMs, they can be running too hot and forcing the CPU to throttle down. This could be especially prevalent while running it in 6 core mode.
You are running a gigabyte board and they are usually known for good VRM setups, but with huge, hulking modern day heatsinks, a lot of air is deprived from them.

Which temps would that be? All that are monitored by HW monitor - nothing ever gets above 45C except for my gpu

thanks

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page