I think I fried my motherboard - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-12-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So my PSU went on me the other day. I got a new one and everything powers up fine now. Only problem is that the motherboard doesn't seem to post. Pushing the power button the first time turns on the computer, after that the power button and reset button are unresponsive. No video, nothing. I would think I would get some beeps or something if the motherboard were still functional? Thoughts?

In the event that it is fried, I'm thinking about going with a new motherboard and getting the FX-8120. Thoughts on this? Right now I have a 955 X4 BE but there's now the possibility it is fried as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-12-2012, 06:08 PM

Liked: 40
check if the fans are still spinning if the fans are still spinning then ur motherboard should be fine.
I think tongue.gif
check if u plugged everything in properly. If everything fails put in a spare psu (if u have) reconnect everything. If the system works with the other psu then ur psu is faulty.

Don't quote me on this but the FX-8120 wont work on ur motherboard. Bulldozer runs on 990fx chipset. Confirm this with another OCN member though. I am an intel guy not and AMD guy tongue.gif

post #3 of 9 Old 04-12-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

All the fans are spinning and the lights come on the motherboard. This is a brand new PSU btw and it's Corsair so I doubt it's the PSU now. The fact that the power button and reset button no longer work is kind of telling to me. Lets see what everyone else says though.

Went through and double checked everything. I also noticed that the power light is not on at all now even though the computer is one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-13-2012, 12:24 AM
Mess with the goat, get the horns

Liked: 1027

You may have damaged other system components - NOT the motherboard (specifically the VRMs) because everything actually turns on; whereas if your VRM system was damaged there would be no turn on.  Look for a component that is preventing POST.  And for jeez sakes since there is still a high risk that your motherboard VRMs DO FAIL on this setup (870A-G54 has the highest recorded VRM failure rate of any AMD board) swap that board out as soon as possible!  It is not fit to run 125W TDP processors at stock!

Circumstances forced me to go inactive back in 2014. I guess I'm back for 2016, but won't be active much! Cheers!
Forum Rules (TOS) - Professionalism Initiative - News & info | New members - Marketplace
Good reads | VRM & MOSFET info - AMD VRM database - What unlocks? - CPU/NB/RAM multipliers chart

Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant 

post #5 of 9 Old 04-13-2012, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

I didn't know that about the board. I took everything out to see if I could get some POST beeps and nothing. At this point only thing running is the mother board and it still doesn't give beeps or anything. The reset button and power button still don't work after it's turned on.

What's a good AMD board that can handle 125 watts that has a good price point? Thanks for the reply.

post #6 of 9 Old 04-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Mess with the goat, get the horns

Liked: 1027

Well, you define your own price point.  But to give you some ideas:

• GA-78LMT-S2P - 760G chipset, quality 4+1 phase... no heatsinks (but can be added on or you can ensure airflow cooling) - $60 shipped
  • 970 Extreme3 - 970 chipset, quality 4+1 phase, heatsinks - $80 shipped
  • 970 Extreme4 - 990X chipset, quality 4+1 phase, heatsinks - $110 shipped
  • GA-990XA-UD3 - 990X chipset, quality 8+2 phase, heatsinks - $120-130 shipped

Looking at the thread "AMD Motherboard VRM Info" (in my sig, link) might help

Circumstances forced me to go inactive back in 2014. I guess I'm back for 2016, but won't be active much! Cheers!
Forum Rules (TOS) - Professionalism Initiative - News & info | New members - Marketplace
Good reads | VRM & MOSFET info - AMD VRM database - What unlocks? - CPU/NB/RAM multipliers chart

Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant 

post #7 of 9 Old 04-13-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Nice list. Thanks for the info.

post #8 of 9 Old 04-17-2012, 10:39 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 42
If you have a modular PSU check the cables into the PSU as well. I once had a similar problem that was actualy caused by one of the cables that went into the PSU came loose during cable management.

I spent way too much time trying to come up with a good signature, and this is what I ended up with.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Programmer

Liked: 78
Sometimes when the PSU goes it can take components with it by shorting them out. You might want to consider breadboxing the board outside of the case, keep removing components, try booting with one stick of RAM, if it's not responding to anything or beeps at all, the mobo is shot.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." ~ Ben Franklin

Chimp Challenge Participant  9 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page