need oc help on A4-3400 + MSI A55M-P33 + G.SKILL Ares 2x4GB DDR3-1600 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-22-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Like a lot of people, I bought this combo deal for $89 after rebate from newegg recently.

AMD A4-3400 Llano 2.7GHz Socket FM1 65W Dual-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU)
1x MSI A55M-P33 FM1 AMD A55 (Hudson D2)
1x G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3

Starting from default settings, I tried to only adjust FSB freq in BIOS. Black screen (no response at all) after power on, even if I adjust the FSB freq from 100MHz to 105MHz. Still black screen, after I turned down memory freq from 1600 to 1333.
Other must bought the same bundle, can you share your BIOS setting for oc this combo? I read some reviews that said oc-ing A4-3400 from 100MHz to 120MHz is easy. But no luck for me. redface.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-22-2012, 04:05 PM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 32
First things first:
What diplay out are you using? To up the baseclock on llano, you need to be using digial out, so either DVI or HDMI.
EDIT:Based on the black screen, I'm betting you are using VGA out.
That should net you some baseclock. If you have issues past 105 from windows boot issues, chances are you are using AHCI mode for your hard-drive. If you are using an SSD (based on budget level these parts are it seems unlikely ) then you'd have to make a choice on slightly lower performance. Otherwise, run the HD in IDE mode to get past this hump.

With those two taken care of, what are your goals with overclocking? Better cpu performance, or gpu, or both? This will affect what time or ram oc'ing you want to do, if at all.

Yeroon
post #3 of 10 Old 09-22-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Yeroon for your help.

1) This mobo offers DVI + VGA, no HDMI. I was using dual display. I just unpluged VGA and tried again but still no joy.
2) I am using one old-model ssd recently purchased from newegg for $40 after rebate and one hard drive from old tower. The default setting in BIOS for SATA mode is IDE, which is the mode when overclocking. I understand that using IDE causes windows experience index for hard disk down to 7.1, while 7.7 for AHCI. I forgot to change from IDE to AHCI.

After I unpluged VGA and turned down memory freq to DDR3-1066, windows 7 logo shows up but then automatically reboot.

My goal was to improve gaming a little. Without oc, I can only play pes2012 at medium quality at resolution 1920*1200, and lagging sometimes. I used to play pes2012 at phenom X4 9600 + raedon 4850 maximum everything but 4850 generates too much heat. I want go green, plus I game a little (only pes2012), plus this deal is irresistible for me to impulsively buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeroon View Post

First things first:
What diplay out are you using? To up the baseclock on llano, you need to be using digial out, so either DVI or HDMI.
EDIT:Based on the black screen, I'm betting you are using VGA out.
That should net you some baseclock. If you have issues past 105 from windows boot issues, chances are you are using AHCI mode for your hard-drive. If you are using an SSD (based on budget level these parts are it seems unlikely ) then you'd have to make a choice on slightly lower performance. Otherwise, run the HD in IDE mode to get past this hump.
With those two taken care of, what are your goals with overclocking? Better cpu performance, or gpu, or both? This will affect what time or ram oc'ing you want to do, if at all.
Yeroon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Mess with the goat, get the horns

Liked: 1027
Quote:
After I unpluged VGA and turned down memory freq to DDR3-1066

Well, those memory speeds would essentially make your OC not worth it...

Circumstances forced me to go inactive back in 2014. I guess I'm back for 2016, but won't be active much! Cheers!
Forum Rules (TOS) - Professionalism Initiative - News & info | New members - Marketplace
Good reads | VRM & MOSFET info - AMD VRM database - What unlocks? - CPU/NB/RAM multipliers chart

Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant 

post #5 of 10 Old 09-22-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

I am just curious of what I did wrong? I don't believe others have the same experience, provided tons of OC reviews on APU.

I can only run everything default BIOS setting. I got black screen after changing FSB freq. Got black screen even I keep FSB auto, and adjust memory timing from 11 to 9. Where is the fun from owning AMD chips?
Quote:
Well, those memory speeds would essentially make your OC not worth it...
post #6 of 10 Old 09-22-2012, 06:07 PM
AMD Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by autosw View Post

I am just curious of what I did wrong? I don't believe others have the same experience, provided tons of OC reviews on APU.
I can only run everything default BIOS setting. I got black screen after changing FSB freq. Got black screen even I keep FSB auto, and adjust memory timing from 11 to 9. Where is the fun from owning AMD chips?

I'm sure theres something small thats stopping you, these overclock pretty good. Whats the XMP rated timings/volts? My g.skill 1866 didn't like 1T no matter what I did. I looked for ares but they are available in different frequencies.
Take your ram volts/timings off auto, same with cpu multi and NB multi. Boot up at stock clock with the ram manually at its rated timings/volts to make sure thats ok.

EDIT: You'll probably want to turn turbo off as well, just untill you get your oc figured out, so it doesn't mess with whatever you plan on using as stability/benchmark testing.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-22-2012, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

That 's what I am thinking of. Maybe MSI didn't spend any effort on the **auto** settings. Some auto setting went crazy or incompatible with each other.
Will try your suggestion after dinner and report back later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeroon View Post

I'm sure theres something small thats stopping you, these overclock pretty good. Whats the XMP rated timings/volts? My g.skill 1866 didn't like 1T no matter what I did. I looked for ares but they are available in different frequencies.
Take your ram volts/timings off auto, same with cpu multi and NB multi. Boot up at stock clock with the ram manually at its rated timings/volts to make sure thats ok.
EDIT: You'll probably want to turn turbo off as well, just untill you get your oc figured out, so it doesn't mess with whatever you plan on using as stability/benchmark testing.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-23-2012, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

1) Now I can change memory timing to manufacture suggested CAS9 9-9-9. I am able to do this after I change every value of XMP/voltage to manual setting. My before attempt failed because I only changed the most important ones to manual and left the remaining to auto. MSI auto settings seem to be the one I should blame for.

2) Still could not change FSB freq. I gave up since I came across a review that says only asrock mobo can OC, ECS MSI etc. cannot OC at all. May try later if MSI provides newer BIOS update, but won't hope for. After all, FM1 doesn't look like a platform of longevity, and support from mobo manufacturers redface.gif.

3) tried to OC GPU only. I could change GPU freq from 600MHz to insane 1800MHz, but looks fake. GPU-Z reports 1800MHz on the first tab, but on the second tab real-time sensor says GPU core is still at 600MHz. This is fake OC, no performance improvement in windows experience rating nor my subjective feeling.

I am still happy because I can play pes2012 fluently at 1440x900 high quality, due to better memory timing. Thanks for your guys help. smile.gif

Other thoughts: I tried undervolt (save my utility bill) now that I cannot OC. But I couldn't find options of changing CPU volt. Somewhat disappointed at MSI mobo. redface.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by autosw View Post

That 's what I am thinking of. Maybe MSI didn't spend any effort on the **auto** settings. Some auto setting went crazy or incompatible with each other.
Will try your suggestion after dinner and report back later.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-23-2012, 05:17 PM
AMD Overclocker

Looks like the internal core clock is the baseclock in your bios. 100 should be standard if it is. I will do some looking to verify.
You are correct, gpu multi doesn't work.
Try bringing the internal core clock up and check with cpu-z if its working. Superpi would also verify its working as well by quickening its time.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1651/4/

If you can't change your cpu volts, report what volts cpu-z says and if its over 1.3v theres a good chance you can still get some stable overclock in.

Yeroon
post #10 of 10 Old 03-11-2013, 02:45 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 28
"Lab Burst Mode". thumb.gif

From my reads,
it adjusts certain peripherals to allow internal core clocks over 133Mhz.

Works for me.
I suddenly hit a wall after 165Mhz.
And it's not my CPU clock or RAM.
The iGPU runs perfectly stable all the way to 990Mhz.
I suspect some other "peripheral" is responsible for limits at that point.

It is a cheap board for the OCer.
Probably a good thing there's no CPU or NB Vcore options, though. lol
Not sure I wanna run any of my DIMMs @ 1.8v with an MSI 4+1, either.

Hope this post helps someone, if not OP. smile.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page