For $600 can I build a system better than my current one? - Page 9 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #81 of 102 Old 03-13-2013, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
Audiophile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinDaDragon View Post

Can you at least go for a Gigabyte 990FX-UD3?

Is that board the same as this one here GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 102 Old 03-13-2013, 08:08 PM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITAngel View Post

Is that board the same as this one here GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 ?

Yea, that's the one. Forgot the A

6 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #83 of 102 Old 03-13-2013, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinDaDragon View Post

Yea, that's the one. Forgot the A

Ic, I like the color of that board. I always had Gigabyte motherboards and never had one that failed on me. Actually my wife is running an APU system with one. So, I feel more comfortable having a Gigabyte motherboard than any other brand. thumb.gif

I was force to change the ram to Kingston Technology Hyper X 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 since the one I regionally had to buy was taking 1-to-3 week for shipping from amazon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 102 Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 PM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 140
Quote:

Ic, I like the color of that board. I always had Gigabyte motherboards and never had one that failed on me. Actually my wife is running an APU system with one. So, I feel more comfortable having a Gigabyte motherboard than any other brand. thumb.gif

I was force to change the ram to Kingston Technology Hyper X 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 since the one I regionally had to buy was taking 1-to-3 week for shipping from amazon.

No need to go anything faster than 1600. There's no significant gain in performance.

6 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #85 of 102 Old 03-13-2013, 08:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Why are you going away from the Sabertooth 990FX? It is a perfectly fine board. Also there was a noticeable difference when I went from 1600 to 1866 ram with the 8350. On the 8120 not so much.

500 Million Folding Points  BOINC Pentathlon Participant   Foldathon Participant 2015  Foldathon Participant 2017 

post #86 of 102 Old 03-13-2013, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBrock View Post

Why are you going away from the Sabertooth 990FX? It is a perfectly fine board. Also there was a noticeable difference when I went from 1600 to 1866 ram with the 8350. On the 8120 not so much.

I just want to build a different system that is all. biggrin.gif and I have someone interested in the system at the moment.
post #87 of 102 Old 03-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewu View Post

I don't understand why someone would suggest to upgrade the case. This guy only has $600, don't make him waste his money on useless improvement.

I suggested that because he said his computer was noisy, 10 fans?? I'm sure there are cases with better air flow that don't need so many fans even though a fan controller would help with that. Also he said he wanted to build a new system. At least for me changing the case and a few parts gives me the whole feel of building a new system.

post #88 of 102 Old 03-14-2013, 02:58 AM

Liked: 7
Get a SSD, makes a world of difference.
You already have a rather potent system, it may not benchmark at the top of the charts in games, but it doesn't lack the power for just about any task you can throw at it.

Find your noise sources and "kill" them.
My guess at noise source:
Reduce the number of fans and ensure you have some high quality fans. (Can't help promoting Noctua fans, they are ugly as hell but they barely make a whisper.)
I am guessing your PSU is the NZXT PP800, not exactly a efficient unit and dual fan PSU's are rarely silent.
The lone 212 fan will run at high RPM if you have that 8150 OC'ed, try adding a fan to have a push pull setup on the heatsink, it should allow the fans to run at a little lower RPM.
Quote:

I just want to build a different system that is all. biggrin.gif and I have someone interested in the system at the moment.

Wait what???? You are selling your system and hoping you can beat it with a $600 setup.

Your current system has a nice motherboard, OK CPU and GPU etc. etc.
That motherboard still goes for almost $200 and I don't think there are any better models for AM3+ out there.
The only thing from AMD that really beats the 8150 is the 8320 when overclocked and the 8350, both are close to the $200 mark.
On top of this, you will have to throw more than $200 after a GPU that will beat the 6950 you already have.

In total upgrading your current motherboard, CPU and GPU to something from AMD that is actually faster will total more than $600 and we still haven't looked at the rest of the component.

You can replace the motherboard and CPU with something from intel and get better CPU performance in games, but I doubt the FX8150 is holding your HD6950 back.
post #89 of 102 Old 03-14-2013, 05:19 AM

Liked: 0
Of course you can cause the system is pretty good.
post #90 of 102 Old 03-14-2013, 05:27 AM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 5
I'd get an 8350 and build a custom water loop. You might also be able to get a 7950 too. (ALSO OVERCLOCK YOUR RAM) thumb.gif

Quote:
"You need watercooling if you want the maximum performance if decide to waste 6k. you're basically buying a ferrari and using the cheapest gasoline on earth but still considering it fast because its a ferrari. it just does not work like that. it will still run but it won't work to its full potential like you think or want and will ultimately be a waste."
-J3ST3R

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page