Another Budget Build, but with a Twist... - Page 4 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 09-22-2013, 12:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6213

There's no mod in here (or staff members of any kind).

Semi-Classic Firefox Add-ons Manager (CSS script)

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 09-22-2013, 12:20 PM
AMD Overclocker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

There's no mod in here (or staff members of any kind).
It was on a previous thread where I had posted.
post #33 of 38 Old 09-22-2013, 12:23 PM

Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

And, a year is a very long time in the technology and PC game industry. I've already seen people saying that BF3 for example performs noticeably better with Intel's i7 series of Sandy, Ivy and Haswell chips because of Hyper Threading. However, due to my lack of interest, I don't know if there are other games that benefit as well, however it wouldn't surprise me if most games being released now are coded to benefit from it.

So, when it comes to this kind of thing, you have to stay one step ahead or else you're going to fall behind faster than you might be ready for (if that makes sense).

The BF3 example is not an issue of how old that video was. First of all, you could already see hyper-threading have a benefit where there was CPU demand that could use it in that video (the single-core hyperthreaded example). Second, the video tested single-player runs. BF3 requires high CPU use only for large multiplayer maps. So it's not an issue of "one year" but rather a case of different uses for the same game.

Honestly, a year isn't' a very long game in the technology and PC game industry anymore. Consider that an i7-920 and a AMD 5870 is still a very capable gaming setup. That's a four year-old GPU & an almost five year-old CPU.

Most games are coded to be at the very least playable w/reduced settings on old, crappy computers. On the assumption that a lot of people have old, crappy Dell pre-mades and the game developers want to sell to as large an audience as possible. It's really only AAA titles that have more difficult hardware demands.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 Old 09-22-2013, 12:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6213
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterFred View Post

The BF3 example is not an issue of how old that video was. First of all, you could already see hyper-threading have a benefit where there was CPU demand that could use it in that video (the single-core hyperthreaded example). Second, the video tested single-player runs. BF3 requires high CPU use only for large multiplayer maps. So it's not an issue of "one year" but rather a case of different uses for the same game.

Honestly, a year isn't' a very long game in the technology and PC game industry anymore. Consider that an i7-920 and a AMD 5870 is still a very capable gaming setup. That's a four year-old GPU & an almost five year-old CPU.

Most games are coded to be at the very least playable w/reduced settings on old, crappy computers. On the assumption that a lot of people have old, crappy Dell pre-mades and the game developers want to sell to as large an audience as possible. It's really only AAA titles that have more difficult hardware demands.

Perhaps I'm spending too much of my time just on OCN, thereby giving me a bit of a false impression of reality. I mean, I admit that OCN is kind of what I go by.

Semi-Classic Firefox Add-ons Manager (CSS script)

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.

post #35 of 38 Old 09-22-2013, 02:21 PM

Well, every year a few games come out that, if you want to play it on high settings, will require hardware updates.

*cough* Rome 2: Total War.

But you can still play these new games just fine on medium settings with the older hardware I mentioned. It's a question of goal. Best of the best, or just pretty good for the cost.

Similarly, being on the bleeding edge is important if you want to be a crypto-currency miner or lead folding charts. But not for your average Joe. thumb.gif

post #36 of 38 Old 09-22-2013, 02:48 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 227
Quote:

Well, every year a few games come out that, if you want to play it on high settings, will require hardware updates.

*cough* Rome 2: Total War.

But you can still play these new games just fine on medium settings with the older hardware I mentioned. It's a question of goal. Best of the best, or just pretty good for the cost.

Similarly, being on the bleeding edge is important if you want to be a crypto-currency miner or lead folding charts. But not for your average Joe. thumb.gif

Rome 2: Total War doesn't count. I have a friend having trouble with it and he has tri-sli titans OCed and a 4930k. It's just a horribly optimized game + no driver updates for it from Nvidia.
post #37 of 38 Old 09-22-2013, 07:39 PM

Fine then. Shogun 2 Total War and BF3 from two years ago...

New games coming out that can use better hardware for top graphics settings is not a radical, highly contested topic...

post #38 of 38 Old 09-22-2013, 08:04 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 227
Quote:

Fine then. Shogun 2 Total War and BF3 from two years ago...

New games coming out that can use better hardware for top graphics settings is not a radical, highly contested topic...

Definitely not. I personally am going to stick with my sli 780s for at least 3-4 years. Convincing my wife to let me upgrade any earlier and I would never own another computer again. XD I might be able to convince her to let me get a new mobo and another 780 in the future, but I doubt that.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page