Regarding the recent FUD about "Ryzen Timing Checker" (RTC) - Page 3 - Overclock.net

View Poll Results: Has using "Ryzen Timing Checker" caused any issues on your system?
Yes (please elaborate in a separate post) 4 6.45%
No 58 93.55%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #21 of 95 Old 12-15-2017, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Perhaps you need the rest?

Correct me if I'm wrong, neither of those apps show BGSA?

ProcODT was also in the pipeline, TBH I think The Stilt should let you crack on with AMD and gain us info and release updated tool whistle.gif .

For me RTC has been essential on Ryzen/ThreadRipper, compact with all info needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 95 Old 12-15-2017, 04:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

That's the hardest part for me, since I have no experience what so ever on GUI applications stun.gif
Just do it as a simple Dialog Box application in Visual Studio. That was a template in the older versions that I used. You just have to place all of those static text controls in the frame with the GUI editor, then pump the info into them from C/C++ and show.
post #23 of 95 Old 12-15-2017, 06:12 PM

For me The Stilt is on a very high pedestal, not just for his public shares but for what he does in the background. Deserves alot of credit IMO.
Aenra likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 95 Old 12-15-2017, 09:06 PM
please keep drinking the koolaide

Liked: 700
Both do, while i don't always agree with the stilt, he is a immeasurable help. And deserves thanks, not drama. So from me @The Stilt thanks for what you do.

Rigbuilder and how to put it in your sig post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gif budget components = budget resultsPearls before swine! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 go_quote.gif

Also rma wise, regardless of what vendor used it's always like getting a tooth pulled imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged go_quote.gif

I facepalmed when trying to explain cpu and gpu overclocking to him after he got his 4930k. It was like teaching trigonometry to a rock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 go_quote.gif

That's like wrapping your car around a pole then asking for warranty service.
Dont be hard on yourself, we all break stuff sooner or later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables go_quote.gif

I don't appreciate your judgment here. I am just stating facts. That's all I'm doing. If you are taking offense to it or something, then that's not my problem, so don't put it on me. Ok?...Good god man. You would know that if you would actually carefully read...
post #25 of 95 Old 12-16-2017, 10:04 AM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 17
Windows Defender complained this morning about RTC and removed it. Just tried to add an exclusion for it but Defender ignores the rtc executable. Looks like I need to wait for the new version.

post #26 of 95 Old 12-16-2017, 04:23 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

AutoIT, like each and every other coding style / language has also been used for malicous purposes in the past. Because of that, some of the lesser AV solutions generally automatically flag all AutoIT executables as malware, regardless if there is anything malicious in them or not. Reputable AV providers such as F-Secure, Kaspersky or Symantec don't do that.

I totally agree about lesser AV being often the problem.
Before I used Kaspersky (there is even a free version now!), I was on Avira AntiVir. And AntiVir also stated that AISuite3 is a virus/trojan,....
Since I use Kaspersky there is no problem with your software. And if the leading antivirus company would not be able to find this "dangerous" piece of software, why would lesser be able?

Thanks for your work!

RYZEN 1700X + C6H + BIOS 9920Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

CPU:
R7 1700X (3950) MHz (H2O)
BCLK Frequency: 100
Core ratio: 39.50
Core Performance Boost: Disabled
Core Voltage: 1,400 (LLC Level 2)
VDDSOC: 1,10 (LLC Level 1)

CPU Current Capability: 140%

RAM:
G.Skill F4-3200C14-16GTZ
DRAM Speed: 3466 MHz with 14-14-14-14-28-48-1T
ProcODT_SM: 53.3 ohm
RTT NOM: RZQ/7
RTT WR: OFF
RTT PARK: RZQ/5
CAD_BUS block: all @24 ohm
Latency : 66.4-66.8 ns (AIDA64)
Read: 53.5k-54k
DRAM: 1.416
DRAM Boot: 1.4
DRAM Power Phase Control: Extreme
DRAM Current Capability: 100%
Gear Down: Disabled
Power Down: Disabled
BankGroupSwap: Disabled
BankGroupSwapAlt: Disabled

Other Voltages:
1.8 PLL: 1,8
1,.05 SB: 1,05

Other Settings:
Power Plan: Performance
post #27 of 95 Old 12-18-2017, 02:05 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 0
Nothing malicious to report in terms of AV related issues, but after using RTC my system reverted back to safe settings following a system restart. I'm not sure why this happened but it took several resets before I was able to successfully re-apply DOCP settings and boot at 3200MHz again.
post #28 of 95 Old 12-18-2017, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiphan View Post

Nothing malicious to report in terms of AV related issues, but after using RTC my system reverted back to safe settings following a system restart. I'm not sure why this happened but it took several resets before I was able to successfully re-apply DOCP settings and boot at 3200MHz again.

All of the memory related registers on Ryzen are write protected by the PSP (platform security processor), meaning they can be only changed by the PSP. For the same reason the application doesn't support changing any of the timings. This behavior is typical when the warm reset fails due to unstable settings. Increasing the "Fail CNT" option under DRAM timings in bios should cure that, but obviously it doesn't fix the original reason why the training failed in the first place.
post #29 of 95 Old 12-18-2017, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 744
Ryzen Timing Checker 1.02

Here's the new version of RTC.
It's been written in C#, meaning AutoIT is no longer present in any shape or form. This should prevent all of the false positive detections, regardless if they were previously made by stand-alone AV applications or by the Windows Defender.

Version 1.02 also fixes the issue where the timings are read incorrectly with certain single channel memory configurations (A1 or B1 slot populated).

As of 17/12/2017 the VirusTotal detection rate is 0/67 and the Windows Defender definitions with the same date clear it as well.
https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/c472dd359bed46d129641cc3541c6229cc785eb3d35cfb9d9a712e73bdfb25ad/detection

.NET Framework 4.5 or newer is now a hard requirement, however that basically only applies to Windows 7 since Windows 10 comes equipped with it out of the box.

The ring0 driver (WinRing0) used by RTC to access the necessary hardware registers is open source, meaning you don't have to use the included precompiled WinRing0 libraries in case you are paranoid. The source code for compatible WinRing0 driver can be found from GitHub: https://github.com/QCute/WinRing0/releases/download/1.3.0/WinRing0_1_3_0.zip

Note: Like with the older versions, you must run RTC with admin rights. This can be either done manually (right click -> run as Admin) or setting the permanent admin rights from the exe properties.
post #30 of 95 Old 12-18-2017, 06:15 AM

Cheers for update smile.gif .

As you know it does not bother me AV flagging up RTC, but Windows Defender is flagging v1.02 up.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page