The Socket 939 Appreciation Club and Knowledgebase [Official] - Page 1894 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #18931 of 28754 Old 10-06-2009, 01:32 PM
939 Fanboi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOmega View Post
If any of you guys have any automotive questions, ask me. It's not an inconvenience, I'll gladly help or advise you as to the best course of action.
If you think that some shop is trying to BS you or rip you off, PM me. I'll tell you if it's fair or even a necessary repair.
PM incoming

Chimp Challenge Championship Team  Chimp Challenge Participant  Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  Overclock.net - 2010 Foldathon Participant  3 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  Foldathon Participant 2015 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18932 of 28754 Old 10-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Support

Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz6804 View Post
Is it possible that the IRQs are somehow conflicted between the GPU and a PCI card?
Blitz, if that were the case wouldn't conflicts show up in the device manager?

Terms of Service

Originally Posted by txtmstrjoe:
"Steppings merely indicate possible outcomes due to the law of averages being in your favor."
post #18933 of 28754 Old 10-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Shocking, isn't it?

Liked: 328
I would suspect so. GPU-Z would show the speed easily enough, which I think is how he came up with it only be 2x. It is possible the contacts are dirty since the motherboard did not originally have an HD 4870 in it.

Important reading: Terms of Service | Professionalism Initiative
For Sale / Wanted | Freebies
Report and ignore. Do not quote. Do not reply.
If I say anything to upset or confuse you, please PM me!
You should be Folding or Crunching! My stats: F@H, BOINC
Clubs: 890FXA UD5/7 | Firearms | 939 | Pokémon TCG | Cooking with Blitz
- - - - -
"looks pretty flipping consistant to me :D I'm proud fo real" - juano (01/17/2012)
"okay Blitz you win" - juano (01/05/2013)
- - - - -
"Have you heard the news that you're dead? No one ever had much nice
to say, I think they never liked you anyway."
- My Chemical Romance

Chimp Challenge Championship Team  Migration_Sherpa  Chimp Challenge Participant X4  Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  Chimp Challenge Participant  3 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18934 of 28754 Old 10-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Support

Quote:
I would suspect so. GPU-Z would show the speed easily enough, which I think is how he came up with it only be 2x. It is possible the contacts are dirty since the motherboard did not originally have an HD 4870 in it.
Blitz, I wonder if it's hard coded into the bios. I mean it is a proprietary board from HP right? ....so I wouldn't be surprised

Terms of Service

"Steppings merely indicate possible outcomes due to the law of averages being in your favor."
post #18935 of 28754 Old 10-06-2009, 02:27 PM

Liked: 2154
Quote:
I don't think he should worry to much.

A HD5870 works at 75% on a PCIe x1 2.0 bus (proof)
So if you consider that an HD4870x2 would roughly need the same bandwidth as an HD5870, then half of that bandwidth would be needed for a HD4870
So a 25% loss would turn into a 13% loss at best.

Though, he might want to check his bios for PEG Port Force x1 or Check the BIOS to see if there is an option of " force PCIE to 1x..." or any other options for PCIe or PEG port

Chimp Challenge Championship Team  Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  Overclock.net - 2010 Foldathon Participant 

post #18936 of 28754 Old 10-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
Though, he might want to check his bios for PEG Port Force x1 or Check the BIOS to see if there is an option of " force PCIE to 1x..." or any other options for PCIe or PEG port
Tator, interesting point. Here is some more info on PEG Port Force: http://www.techarp.com/showFreeBOG.a...ng=0&bogno=333.

Terms of Service

post #18937 of 28754 Old 10-06-2009, 08:50 PM
wait what?

Liked: 779
Quote:
BlackOmega: Maybe. However, as I said, the prior tires needed to be pro-rated. I got a 47% pro-rate on the Prior Traction T/As, to the tune of $453. The end result is that the Pilots only cost me $447. As to punctures, I have free replacement in the first 12 months or 12,000 miles, free repairs for life. Also, lifetime free rotations and free N2Flation (it is air with the water and oxygen removed, which is supposed to reduce rotting) whenever I want to have it done. That right there is a savings of about $18 a year (as compared to filling the tires with air from the gas station) or $54 a year (as compared to having to pay for N2Flation each time).
Well Blitz buddy, I personally would never go back to that place ever again. Even with the prorate, I think they're sheissters. $900 for those pilots is just flat out robbery (Remember they're $524 for a set @ tirerack). That mark up is INSANE! And remember since the tires were warrantied, you shouldn't have paid for disposal as they're technically supposed to go back to the manufacturer for inspection. Whether they actually do that or not is another story.

And like I said, taking it to Sears is actually better (N2 I know you had a bad experience there but it actually is a good place, next time ask to speak to the store manager). @ $22 (last I checked), you get mounting and balancing, free flat repair for the life of the tires, free rotation and balancing (balancing costs roughly $10/wheel) for the life of the tires.

As for the N2flation, its just nitrogen. Supposedly, nitrogen molecules are larger and help keep the proper tire inflation during weather changes. I think its just a gimmick, as the "regular" air is what 78% Nitrogen?

At any rate, now you'll know for next time. Or if you just want a better deal, PM me and I'll see if I can pull some strings out there. I'm good like that .

How to: Rewire proprietary Dell server Delta fans to work on any motherboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPER PISSED go_quote.gif

Yeah, well Nvidia can stick it up their ass. This is great.

Chimp Challenge Participant  2 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #18938 of 28754 Old 10-06-2009, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
The Big Red Machine

Liked: 586
Lesson #1 in life: Don't be LAZY.

(Sorry for OT. Just had to say it. )

post-flame-small.gifThe Spirit of OCN: To give is far better than to receive.post-flame-small.gifThe best advice to follow: Read your product's user's manual.post-flame-small.gif

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you have fed him for a lifetime.”—Lao Tzu (thanks to Blitz6804)

Today's "thlnk3r's thoughts": "You may fire when ready."
post #18939 of 28754 Old 10-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Shocking, isn't it?

Liked: 328
BlackOmega: From the place I bought the Traction T/As, I got free mounting, and for the life of the tire, free rotation, free balancing, and free alignments. Free repairs or pro-rated replacement as required by the level of damage. The place I got the Pilots from is similar, but only free alignment checks, not full alignments, and comes with N2flation rather than air. The $453 was a check directly from Michelin, not given to me by any tire retailer.

Air is in fact 78% nitrogen. The problem is that about 21% of that remainder includes oxygen and water, two compounds known to cause tires to rot with time. In an area that salts as heavily as Buffalo does, every little bit helps. (Considering, as I said, my Traction T/As were rotting when they were pro rated.) In any event, I never should have gotten mixed up in Michelin, and just looked around for the General tires I liked so much. Hindsight, and Joe, are 20/20.)

$376 for mounting, lifetime balancing, lifetime rotations, free alignment checks, lifetime N2flation ($20 a pop), road hazard, tire recycling fees* (charged on all new tires sold in NYS), pressure sensors** (required in NYS as of... 2007?), sales tax, et cetera***, is unreasonable?

* $2.50 on all tires sold in New York. $2.25 goes to the state, 25¢ goes to the dealer.
** I am unsure how much these cost, but my gut is saying around $2.50 a tire
*** Also includes the dumping fees on the old tires, valve stems, and even though I will never use it since I have AAA, it also has free 24/7 roadside assistance

EDIT: Sears used to be good when I was younger, they are not so much anymore. They used to give lifetime balance and alignments with tire purchases. Also unlimited pro-rate: whatever the manufacturer did not cover when the tire died early, Sears would cover. They started trying to shirk out of their duties later in my life, likely because they no longer offered the policies, but any tire bought with or pro-rated under maintained that policy.

Important reading: Terms of Service | Professionalism Initiative
For Sale / Wanted | Freebies
Report and ignore. Do not quote. Do not reply.
If I say anything to upset or confuse you, please PM me!
You should be Folding or Crunching! My stats: F@H, BOINC
Clubs: 890FXA UD5/7 | Firearms | 939 | Pokémon TCG | Cooking with Blitz
- - - - -
"looks pretty flipping consistant to me :D I'm proud fo real" - juano (01/17/2012)
"okay Blitz you win" - juano (01/05/2013)
- - - - -
"Have you heard the news that you're dead? No one ever had much nice
to say, I think they never liked you anyway."
- My Chemical Romance

Chimp Challenge Championship Team  Migration_Sherpa  Chimp Challenge Participant X4  Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  Chimp Challenge Participant  3 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #18940 of 28754 Old 10-07-2009, 12:01 AM
wait what?

Liked: 779
Quote:
BlackOmega: From the place I bought the Traction T/As, I got free mounting, and for the life of the tire, free rotation, free balancing, and free alignments. Free repairs or pro-rated replacement as required by the level of damage. The place I got the Pilots from is similar, but only free alignment checks, not full alignments, and comes with N2flation rather than air. The $453 was a check directly from Michelin, not given to me by any tire retailer.
Did you send the tires to them?
Quote:
Air is in fact 78% nitrogen. The problem is that about 21% of that remainder includes oxygen and water, two compounds known to cause tires to rot with time. In an area that salts as heavily as Buffalo does, every little bit helps. (Considering, as I said, my Traction T/As were rotting when they were pro rated.) In any event, I never should have gotten mixed up in Michelin, and just looked around for the General tires I liked so much. Hindsight, and Joe, are 20/20.)
Trust me I know about this. Detroit sits on top of a salt mine and man they use SOOO much salt it's unreal. It's not at all uncommon to see rust on 2 year old cars here.

Thats exactly what happened to my '85 mustang. The subframe just became so rusty in spots that the car, IMO, was unsafe to drive. So I Stripped it down and gave the rolling rotted out chassis away.

At any rate, the sun does more damage to the tires than salt. Washing your car about once a week in the high salt times is important to the overall vehicle longevity. Undercoating a car is a good idea too.

EDIT: Also using tire products like armorall are really bad for your tires too. You're supposed to use a tire conditioner. It gives it a nice clean look but not all greasy lookin. Also armorall is really slippery, after you armorall your tires it's a lot easier to slide around. That's why they don't use it on bikes.

Quote:
$376 for mounting, lifetime balancing, lifetime rotations, free alignment checks, lifetime N2flation ($20 a pop), road hazard, tire recycling fees* (charged on all new tires sold in NYS), pressure sensors** (required in NYS as of... 2007?), sales tax, et cetera***, is unreasonable?
I think so. You can get real alignments for $59.99 for 4 wheels. 2 wheel alignments are typically ~$10-15 less.
Quote:
EDIT: Sears used to be good when I was younger, they are not so much anymore. They used to give lifetime balance and alignments with tire purchases. Also unlimited pro-rate: whatever the manufacturer did not cover when the tire died early, Sears would cover. They started trying to shirk out of their duties later in my life, likely because they no longer offered the policies, but any tire bought with or pro-rated under maintained that policy.
The last set I had mounted there was in .....'06. It cost me $88 to get 4 tires mounted, which included all the perks that you had except for free alignment checks.
And as mentioned earlier, alignments only cost $60. You could get 4 actual 4 wheel alignments in the same time period. Do you think you'll align a car 4 times during the lifespan of a set of tires? I highly doubt it.

How to: Rewire proprietary Dell server Delta fans to work on any motherboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPER PISSED go_quote.gif

Yeah, well Nvidia can stick it up their ass. This is great.

Chimp Challenge Participant  2 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page