The Socket 939 Appreciation Club and Knowledgebase [Official] - Page 2343 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #23421 of 28754 Old 05-19-2010, 01:49 PM
wait what?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz6804 View Post
Actually BlackOmega, I believe silver beats copper by some 5% depending on the temperature. The better statement would be that copper is the best economically viable conducting metal. If I remember right, aluminum is only 59% of copper's conductivity, but it is cheaper, which is why many heatsinks use it.

I do agree that zinc is abysmal, being only 49% of aluminum or 29% of copper. However, unlike elemental copper or aluminum, zinc is fairly resistant to corrosion, thereby oxidizing at a much slower rate. However, when it does oxidize, it only transfers heat one third as well as it normally does, which is why you should always clean your processor prior to installing it.

Elemental nickel is even worse than zinc, coming in at 39% of aluminum, 23% of copper.

But yes, lap it to copper whenever possible.
Ahh you're right. It just barely beats it out. But good luck finding a silver heat sink.

How to: Rewire proprietary Dell server Delta fans to work on any motherboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPER PISSED go_quote.gif

Yeah, well Nvidia can stick it up their ass. This is great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23422 of 28754 Old 05-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Shocking, isn't it?

Liked: 328
Sure, why not? The United States army borrowed some 15,000 pounds of silver from the US treasury for the Manhattan Project due to a shortage of copper. I am surprised someone like Thermalright has not jumped on this: Why pay $110 for a TRUE-120 Copper when for the low, low price of $1430 you can get a heatsink that performs about five percent better!

(Computed price based on the TRUE-120 Copper weighing in at 1900 g, silver being 17.1875% more dense, and a price of $18.20 an ounce.)

Important reading: Terms of Service | Professionalism Initiative
For Sale / Wanted | Freebies
Report and ignore. Do not quote. Do not reply.
If I say anything to upset or confuse you, please PM me!
You should be Folding or Crunching! My stats: F@H, BOINC
Clubs: 890FXA UD5/7 | Firearms | 939 | Pokémon TCG | Cooking with Blitz
- - - - -
"looks pretty flipping consistant to me :D I'm proud fo real" - juano (01/17/2012)
"okay Blitz you win" - juano (01/05/2013)
- - - - -
"Have you heard the news that you're dead? No one ever had much nice
to say, I think they never liked you anyway."
- My Chemical Romance
post #23423 of 28754 Old 05-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Retired Staff

Liked: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz6804 View Post
Sure, why not? The United States army borrowed some 15,000 pounds of silver from the US treasury for the Manhattan Project due to a shortage of copper. I am surprised someone like Thermalright has not jumped on this: Why pay $110 for a TRUE-120 Copper when for the low, low price of $1430 you can get a heatsink that performs about five percent better!

(Computed price based on the TRUE-120 Copper weighing in at 1900 g, silver being 17.1875% more dense, and a price of $18.20 an ounce.)
Oh you.....

You are completely forgetting about mark up on something like that. Being all silver, you KNOW they'd market it to the super SUPER high end crowds. That thing that SHOULD cost $1430, would likely be marked up to at LEAST $1600 or so..just because of the fact that it'd be all silver.

EDIT:
BTW, you know I just your math . But sometimes it is indeed flawed .
N2Gaming likes this.

Funny Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian 
...I just ran in and... started ripping off the clothes I had on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom 
A GTX 580 is like a bear. AA or "small bunnies" don't really hurt it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolio831 
Syrillian - Heroes get remembered, but legends never die!
How To: Install Car Audio to a PC Power Supply
¡¡¡ʍʇɟ qn1ɔ uoıʇɐıɔǝɹddɐ 939 ʇǝʞɔos ǝɥʇ
♫The♪Official♪Car♪Stereo♪Club♫
Pioneerisloud's 92 Prelude Si Build Log!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23424 of 28754 Old 05-20-2010, 12:07 AM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 180
Just head down to the local coin shop and buy some old silver coins in poor shape and you should be able to get these cheaply enough.
The silver content is what matters but be aware that although most silver coinage has a 90% silver content, Kennedy halves from 1965 to 1970 are only 45% silver. All others are 90% and all with dates from 1964 and earlier are of 90% silver composition.
You can also buy silver in bars or coins of .999 pure silver composition and I do have a few of those here too.
I would suggest though using the 90% composition coins for smelting and forming things with since the other 10% metal composition makes it durable. Silver alone is a soft metal, almost plastic-like in how it feels and won't stand up to alot of wear and pressure on it's own without deforming or wearing too readily.

I know someone that's used silver for such a purpose and it did show an improvement in temps. They took an old coin, lapped it smooth and used it as a spacer is how they did it.

post #23425 of 28754 Old 05-20-2010, 06:33 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 50
Good morning.

Just a quick 939 note, which I'm sure has probably been noted before:
I get better FPS all the way around with 2 x 1GB @ DDR500/3-3-2-8-1T than I do with 4 x 1GB @ DDR400/3-3-3-8-2T. I didn't run any benchmarks, but I can tell.

a little O/T: with vsync enabled my FPS seems to be capped @ ~60, not 30. The highest I've seen it go is 62 I think. Averaging over 40FPS with vsync on.......and turning it off the only place I see FPS gains is during loading and stuff. Who needs 300FPS while the game loads?

Ohh also an EDIT for ya: hah!---my system will not run right with 273x11=3003, although the memory passes memtest @ 274. The system runs fine @ 250x12=3000. I guess I better go try 273x10. And yes I tried adjusting the HTT, NB voltage, and DDR voltage.
Update later.................
UPDATE:wow these Mushkin DDR500 sticks will not even run windows @ DDR540. Even at 3-4-4-8 and 2.9v. I'm not very impressed. I guess I got spoiled by my DDR400 OCZ Platinum that do DDR500 no problem. These Mushkin are for sale and I'll just stick with the OCZ.

I will say that Mushkin replaced the bad modules very, very fast.
post #23426 of 28754 Old 05-22-2010, 12:23 AM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 106
K guys, can you help me?

I just bricked the bios on my new ultra-d, but no biggie, can get replacement on ebay. Thing is, I tried flashing a bios to get my ES to recognize, and it was a modded beta. Figured I would hot swap flash with my other 939 board to fix bios and be on my way, nope... I tried all the different combos you can, I thought it worked through winflash 1.76, but turns out, no... lol Will the newest bios that comes on a new replacement bios chip, recognize my ES you think? The bios on the board was old, but not OLD old, supported the x2 3800 nicely. Im just frustrated... I just want my ES to run on this mobo!

Personal best - 11,811 in 3DMark06 on 01/16/2016 socket 939 baby!

Proud elite member of the Socket 939 Appreciation Club.

biggrin.gif OCN Retro - The Overclock.net Retrogaming Club biggrin.gif
post #23427 of 28754 Old 05-22-2010, 01:12 AM
Retired Staff

Liked: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwishaMane View Post
K guys, can you help me?

I just bricked the bios on my new ultra-d, but no biggie, can get replacement on ebay. Thing is, I tried flashing a bios to get my ES to recognize, and it was a modded beta. Figured I would hot swap flash with my other 939 board to fix bios and be on my way, nope... I tried all the different combos you can, I thought it worked through winflash 1.76, but turns out, no... lol Will the newest bios that comes on a new replacement bios chip, recognize my ES you think? The bios on the board was old, but not OLD old, supported the x2 3800 nicely. Im just frustrated... I just want my ES to run on this mobo!
I don't see why the latest official BIOS wouldn't support it personally. However it IS an "ES" chip, so its hard saying.

And I thought you had it working previously? I could have sworn I saw some screenshots of an ES not too long ago in here.....

Funny Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian 
...I just ran in and... started ripping off the clothes I had on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom 
A GTX 580 is like a bear. AA or "small bunnies" don't really hurt it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolio831 
Syrillian - Heroes get remembered, but legends never die!
How To: Install Car Audio to a PC Power Supply
¡¡¡ʍʇɟ qn1ɔ uoıʇɐıɔǝɹddɐ 939 ʇǝʞɔos ǝɥʇ
♫The♪Official♪Car♪Stereo♪Club♫
Pioneerisloud's 92 Prelude Si Build Log!!!!
post #23428 of 28754 Old 05-22-2010, 06:41 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 50
Quote:
Sweet, A64Info pulled up some extra info on my ES, check it out. 90nm, Toledo, JH9-E6...

EDIT: Sweet, rig just passed 1 hour OCCT Linpack again on new tccds, 238x12 for 2.856ghz, new highest stable OC! Check cpu-z.

I switched them to the first two dual channel slots since they are low profile enough to fit under horizontally mounted Xiggy cooler. Rig seems to be performing better in first channel.

EDIT #2: Ok, ES just passed 1 hour OCCT at 240x11 for first time. I think switching RAM slots was way to go. I'm about to start up 30 min passes again til I fail, and go for highest stable CPU freq. and DRAM freq. I'm hoping for 275x11, but LOL, doubt.
Quote:
kk, I got 240x12 last night for 2.880ghz, right? Well, I passed a 30 min occt at 242x11, and it was great. Ran it at 242x12 for 2.907ghz, and error like 15 mins in. Try again this morning after letting rig rest, with increased vcore, only 15 mins stable. I'm at 224x13 for 2.914ghz now, and I'm already 25 mins stable. This chip or mobo, (most likely chip, thanks to pioneerisloud, pfft) is maxing out in the 240-242 range depending on cpu freq. My highest stable OC on this chip will be low fsb, 13x related, or highest fsb (240) x 12 most likely. I'm still going for highest cPU freq, while keeping fsb in range system has proven to be stable, so I got room to work. Just disappointed in max fsb on this chip. We'll see with new mobo eventually, just to make sure it's not mobo related SOMEHOW.

EDIT: Rig just passed 1 hour linpack at 2.914ghz, w00t. Obviously something is going on at 240-242. I'm gonna bump it up to 226 and see whats up, lol...
I don't understand what you mean by trying to get the "ES" chip to recognize? If you mean be recognized it looks to me that it was recognized and working fine two weeks ago....it is what it is, an Engineering Sample just like cpuz etc...says it is. I don't think a new bios will make cpuz call that "ES" an Opteron.

I don't see why a hot-flash wouldn't work....it sounds easy enough

EDIT: I was just reading about your build and wanted to compliment you on the window. I've been wanting to put a window in my case, too. I'm going to get a piece of plexiglass custom cut and beveled because I have to put it on the outside. My window is going to be approximately the shape of a doughnut with my 120mm intake fan in the corner. I will be unique at the very least.
post #23429 of 28754 Old 05-22-2010, 06:12 PM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 106
Well, the ES ran on my old Asus board, but isnt running in the Ultra-D. Turned out,t he bios ont he ultra-D wasnt the latest, and after FINALLY getting the BIOS to flash, I got the board upa nd running again, this time ont he 3800x2, and I cant get the system stable at stock. Tried the ES, the third diag. LED stays lit with beep sound, same as it did before when it wouldnt recognise the ES. So I'm stumped, I'm gonna need some sort of modded or beta bios probably. Any ideas?

Its pissing me off that I cant even get the board stable on stock settings. This is really gonna make me mad if I have to sell this Ultra-D for a f***ing Asus SLi Deluxe...

Thanks on the window. A lot of people have been overlooking the OCN logo I had embeded into the design. I think I have a stand alone pic of it somewhere int he log. LOL, noobs here man... I had it custom ordered an laser engraved. I think the piece was about $120 shipped int he end, less than that, but exactly IDK. NAgoshi helped me with the design and vectoring it to scale for the company that did it. A link to the company who did it is posted int he credits on my build log for this AM3. I'm still happy with this rig, even after all this time, the rig still has that "SWEET" feeling to it whenever I see it, its like, OH YEAH, finally got a computer worth having.

EDIT: Epic fail for me... DL'ed newest official BIOS off of DFI's website, well, no post or anything with 4200x2... Mebbe just needs whole new bios chip? Cause I've been haivng weird problems with keyboard/mouse too... That or this board is junk as ****!

Personal best - 11,811 in 3DMark06 on 01/16/2016 socket 939 baby!

Proud elite member of the Socket 939 Appreciation Club.

biggrin.gif OCN Retro - The Overclock.net Retrogaming Club biggrin.gif
post #23430 of 28754 Old 05-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Maple Syrup?

Liked: 303
I think there is something wrong with the VRM's on my PURE. If I set the vcore to 1.6v, it doesn't even clear 1.4v. Goodbye 3.0 OC

EDIT: Goodbye any OC above what I have now....

Its gonna be like perana on a rotting cow in there when it happens...I'm looking forward to it. - DIRTYDUCK
Socket 939 is legendary - Choggs396
You sir, are a true badass. - meticadpa
how does hand beat wood? - crywin
> here, let me show you.... - sirlagalot

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page