The Socket 939 Appreciation Club and Knowledgebase [Official] - Page 468 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #4671 of 28754 Old 06-22-2008, 05:34 AM
4.0ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderous Moppet View Post
Well, I just received news that a friend of mine is upgrading, and he's sending me his 4200+, not much of an upgrade, but an 11x multi never hurt anyone. I also get his 2gigs of ram which is in itself kickass.

Really, his loss for leaving the greatest platform ever made.

Hey , an upgrade is an upgrade .. and you cant beat the price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4672 of 28754 Old 06-22-2008, 09:32 AM
939 Fanboi

Liked: 253
got a new wallpaper made, for the import lovers
it features a Mazda RX-7 in a nearly 90* drift (see sig)

welcome minhy!
moppet, keep us tuned with the overclocking on the new processor

Chimp Challenge Championship Team  Chimp Challenge Participant  Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  Overclock.net - 2010 Foldathon Participant  3 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  Foldathon Participant 2015 

post #4673 of 28754 Old 06-22-2008, 09:53 AM
3.5ghz

Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post
Well...since joe is the HR Director at the zoo, maybe he can get me a job . Meh...not like I care, sounds like I wouldn't like the ambient temperatures in SoCal anyways.

Anyways....what's been happenin? Been at work all day, then found out I had a flat tire, so I had to fix it by driving it for 2 hours (there went about $20 in gas)...to get the "slime" to seal the hole.

What a NIGHT!

Don't worry pioneer, anytime I want to go to town, I spend $15 in gas. Don't let it get you down! (Wanna join the Anti-high gas price club? j/k) Anyways, I feel your pain.

SOCKET 939 APPRECIATION CLUB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4674 of 28754 Old 06-22-2008, 11:16 AM
Tech Support

Liked: 394
Welcome minhyxrated

Anq I'll be PM'ing you back soon!

Terms of Service

Originally Posted by txtmstrjoe:
"Steppings merely indicate possible outcomes due to the law of averages being in your favor."
post #4675 of 28754 Old 06-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Shocking, isn't it?

Liked: 328
Okay, get ready for another omega-ultimate-death-multi-post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgheseger View Post
If you're very careful, a dremel will do the trick, problem is though that they tend to melt/scorch the acrylic if you get a little to excited. Got a jigsaw?
I actually ended up using a drill to get a starting hole, and then a scroll saw to do the work. I took pictures, will post them later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqt31 View Post
Nice OC, I was looking at a Opteron 180, should I upgrade from my x2 4200+ or is it worth it?
I would say it is worth it if only for the extra cache. The big thing is the stepping as Joe has already stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtmstrjoe View Post
Hehe

I'm a fan of that fan.

Am giving mine away to Blitz.

Which reminds me just how big a dummy I am.

(Because I've been forgetting to send the fans away to him! They're in a box in my car's trunk, ready to go! He probably hates me now...)
I would not say hate you, but I am a little stuck wondering if you shipped or not yet.

In other news, once I get them, my case will be entirely Thermaltake cooled. Every single fan will be a thermaltake. Yes, I know the CPU cooler is Thermalright, but pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Quote:
If you're reasonably confident of your OC's basic stability, though, I still say S&M v.1.9.1 is THE only game in town when it comes to establishing whether or not your OC is stable. If your rig passes this test on "long" setting, it's certifiably stable.
I love S&M personally. After 5-7 hours of S&M, you can purport your computer as stable or stabler than if you ran Orthos 12-14 hours. Not a bad time saver!

HOWEVER: Caveat emptor: S&M is not for people with weak constitutions. Every time I run it on my PC, I feel like I am having a heart attack. You have been warned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardianOdin View Post
BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! VideoCard driver lock-up! with S&M with 1:34 minutes to go. I ran the high test for 90 minutes ....and the damn Nvidia drivers lock up.
I too had that problem. S&M was running fine, and then I decided to start playing with the window...

Illegal operation resulted.

Quote:
What's this I read about giving away fans? Well I spose Blitz is a lucky guy then, huh?

And we'll also be looking for possibly 3 sets of 2GB kits of RAM (DDR400 is fine). It all depends on what the budget allows for, because we'll still need to pick up a case, and drives too.
They are birthday gifts Pioneer. And we never finished talking about my Corsairs here...

Quote:
<Picture showing OCNS5+ stability. Click link to see it! -Blitz>
Congrats! *Pins a badge on his chest; starts to blot away the freshly-caused blood.*

Quote:
Roger that! I wrote it down. I have a feeling my OS is starting to get to the point of total shutdown. Gonna be doing a reformat this weekend...so I'll have to wait on my RAM tinkering till then. I can't 100% permafry my OS until I have everything backed up that's needed.
Again!? Did not you just install that OS about a month ago...?

Quote:
I have to do the same. I still need to go buy some DVD's to backup the important files.
I recommend an external hard drive kept in a fire-proof for backing up personally.

Quote:
For the money...the Momo wheel is HANDS DOWN the best wheel you'll find. Only when you've got a$$loads of money to spend, will you find somebody spending $200+ on a wheel and pedal set. Is the G25 worth it? Probably. But honestly....who wants to spend $225 on a wheel / pedal set, when you can get a set that's almost as good for a third or even a quarter of the price?
If I had it, I would spend it. I have a pair of $60 PS2 wheels. They are similar to Momos, but lack the stick shifter and have lower-quality pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thlnk3r View Post
Alright guys final call before I put this puppy up on the "For Sale"...

GeCube 3850 OC Edition 700/850 - $85 Shipped

If anyone is interested please PM me
If I had PCI-E, I would certainly get my hands on your card. However, I do not, and will need to live with my AGP card. See later discussion about case temps.

Quote:
so quite around here.......tumbleweed......bounce bounce
You just wait until I get home young man... there will not be a dead post in the house!

Quote:
Negative, naked S&M buddy. I don't fold, except for laundry and incriminating paperwork at my job...

What keeps you up at this hour? I'm too hot to sleep (ambient temperature is presently 30.1 degrees C - curse these stupidly hot SoCal summers!), and I've been mounting images onto new HDDs in my quest to beat back my hardware gremlins.
I know I should not be complaining, but I am rather uncomfortable in my parents' house. They have window and wall units around the house. The guest room is not one of those rooms affected by one. The end result is that the room is much warmer than I would like, but still not in the range of Scorpiondom.

(Woot! Page 468, four pages left!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nategr8ns View Post
hey joe, you could always move to maine to beat the temps
they're not great during the summer, but definitely better than L.A.
but we don't have any really nice zoos here :
Right now in Buffalo, it is 73º F with thunderstorms. Tonight should be in the 50s. Right now in Long Island, it is about 79º F with no rain, but 100% humidity. I am miserable here!

Is it January yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhyxrated View Post
Welcome to the club minhyxrated! Another "very slightly underclocked' joins our fold!

Quote:
Screen shots are ok but we need a validation link so we can add you to the list.
Not technically. Joe can rosterlink his post.

Quote:
Just to clarify, to join the club you can post a CPU-Z validation link, post a screenshot of a CPU-Z validation, or PM thlnk3r, pioneerisloud, blitz6804, GuardianOdin, or me with the validation link. Lots of ways to get in.
No fair posting that before me! You know I am out of town!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz6804 View Post
I actually ended up using a drill to get a starting hole, and then a scroll saw to do the work. I took pictures, will post them later.
As promised:

1) Try this whole thing on a test piece of acrylic. once I did that, I proceded.
2) Take blue painter's tape and stick it down on the case where the fan should go.
3) Tape the fan filter in place on the far side and hold to the light to get an idea for the circle.
4) Hold the door flush against a piece of wood (to prevent blowout) and drill a 3/8" pilot hole
5) Cut out the circle with a 3/8" scroll saw

6) Line up the intended fan grill
7) Put tape under each of the mounting points, and mark the wholes
8) Drill each hole (again on the wood to prevent blowout) large enough for a #10 bolt

9) Find some #10 rubber washers lying around your basement
10) Realize the washers are too thick and bisect them with an exacto
11) Feed the bolt through the grill, then the washer, the door, a metal washer, and a finally a nut
12) Lay the door on the carpet and take a picture

13) Remount the door on the case

Was it worth it? Quite possibly. My CPU temps are approximately 2º C cooler than they were. However, this, my first case mod, was not done for this purpose. It was done for the well-being of my 3850. Prior to the mod, while running Real-Time High-Dynamic Range Image-Based Lighting, my 3850 at 98% load would read 71º C with 81% fan speed. Afterwards, my 3850 reads 71º C at 25% fan speed. Prior, it idled at 52º C at 13% fan speed. Now, it idles at 39º C at 13% fan speed.

Form your own opinion!

Important reading: Terms of Service | Professionalism Initiative
For Sale / Wanted | Freebies
Report and ignore. Do not quote. Do not reply.
If I say anything to upset or confuse you, please PM me!
You should be Folding or Crunching! My stats: F@H, BOINC
Clubs: 890FXA UD5/7 | Firearms | 939 | Pokémon TCG | Cooking with Blitz
- - - - -
"looks pretty flipping consistant to me :D I'm proud fo real" - juano (01/17/2012)
"okay Blitz you win" - juano (01/05/2013)
- - - - -
"Have you heard the news that you're dead? No one ever had much nice
to say, I think they never liked you anyway."
- My Chemical Romance

Chimp Challenge Championship Team  Migration_Sherpa  Chimp Challenge Participant X4  Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  Chimp Challenge Participant  3 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #4676 of 28754 Old 06-22-2008, 06:09 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 51
whew
post #4677 of 28754 Old 06-22-2008, 06:42 PM
939 Fanboi

^ lol boonie

looks good boonie! I'm considering putting a fan on my side panel again, I removed it so that it wouldn't block the view of my components (I ended up putting it at the exhaust end of my freezer64)

Chimp Challenge Championship Team  Chimp Challenge Participant  Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  Overclock.net - 2010 Foldathon Participant  3 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  Foldathon Participant 2015 

post #4678 of 28754 Old 06-22-2008, 06:50 PM

Liked: 115
Hey everyone, I just got finished ripping up a friends laptop that he gave to me since it no longer works. I was curious as to what the CPU was, he said it ran at 2.0GHz and thats all he knew. So I finally get into the motherboard to find none other than a socket 939 CPU. I thought these were desktop CPUs, or is there a mobile 939 CPU? Anyway I've since removed it, I'm guessing its an Athlon 64 3200 because the first line says ADA3200DEP4AW. So is this thing of any use or not? If it is, I might sell it for a few dollars or just freebie it out.

post #4679 of 28754 Old 06-22-2008, 07:08 PM
939 Fanboi

probably a desktop cpu on a custom motherboard with some crazy low profile cooler
cool find though

post #4680 of 28754 Old 06-22-2008, 07:32 PM

Liked: 115
Here are some pictures of it.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page