Continuous error - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-02-2008, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just bought 2gb of Kingston HyperX to replace 512 of G.Skill valuram, and I've been having this recurring problem with WoW and anything run on the Source engine. Every few minutes my entire system, minus the power and restart buttons, locks up and won't respond. My sound loops and gets very erratic and it lasts anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes. I suspected it was the ram I had, but the problem persists with this ram. I'm thinking it is my video card. I mistakenly bought a recertified EVGA 7800GT. My build info is up-to-date now if anyone needs to check it out, and I'm looking at upgrading to a higher opty to keep this system alive a bit longer. Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-02-2008, 02:32 AM
The Big Red Machine

Liked: 586
Is the system overclocked?

If it is, I suggest restoring it to stock settings first and see if the problems persist. We'll have to take the "from the ground up" approach here to find out if you've got a settings-based issue or a hardware defect issue.

post-flame-small.gifThe Spirit of OCN: To give is far better than to receive.post-flame-small.gifThe best advice to follow: Read your product's user's manual.post-flame-small.gif

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you have fed him for a lifetime.”—Lao Tzu (thanks to Blitz6804)

Today's "thlnk3r's thoughts": "You may fire when ready."
post #3 of 5 Old 04-02-2008, 02:40 AM
733mhz

Liked: 22
If the sound is looping then it's more likely to be a driver issue. If you are using the latest nvidia drivers for your vga then i would check your sound card drivers first.

This error has been reported to valve in the past and in those cases it was a problem with a vga driver update. IF you have updated your video drivers it might be worth trying a downgrade to a more stable version, maybe 2 or 3 revisions earlier than current.

The Black Mesa Survivors Club

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-02-2008, 10:30 AM
733mhz

Did you get the latest WoW patch? There was a bug with sound looping.

DB + CFM = MHZ!

post #5 of 5 Old 04-02-2008, 02:16 PM
733mhz

UPDATE:

did some more research into this and found that it is a problem with soundcard and nvidia chipsets. nVidia and ms both recommend uninstalling nvidia firewall software (active armour) if it is installed and doing a clean install of the latest sound card drivers.

Hope this helps

The Black Mesa Survivors Club

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page