post #31 of 43 Old 04-20-2008, 12:00 AM
Tech Support

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by credo View Post
well, specs are on page one. and no OC, this is a stock system.
Credo, if it's not overclocked then you may have faulty/failing hardware. Definitely run the bootable memtest86 CD and check your memory with tests 5 and 8.

Good luck

Terms of Service

Originally Posted by txtmstrjoe:
"Steppings merely indicate possible outcomes due to the law of averages being in your favor."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 04-20-2008, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlnk3r View Post
Credo, if it's not overclocked then you may have faulty/failing hardware. Definitely run the bootable memtest86 CD and check your memory with tests 5 and 8.

Good luck

test 5 ran overnight. 120 passes 0 errors. I really dont think its the ram, but I'm running test 8 any way.

life's short, live it

post #33 of 43 Old 04-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Tech Support

Quote:
test 5 ran overnight. 120 passes 0 errors. I really dont think its the ram, but I'm running test 8 any way.
Credo, at least we know it's not your memory. It's all about process of elimination. Next thing I would do would be to download Western Digital's Lifeguard tools and run a surface scan on you raptor so we can rule that out. The tools can be downloaded and burnt to a CD that can be bootable.

Good luck

Terms of Service

"Steppings merely indicate possible outcomes due to the law of averages being in your favor."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 Old 04-20-2008, 12:39 PM
3.5ghz

Liked: 63
Quote:
Okay, I guess that wasn't helpful then. Bench running jumps it back to 2.5 GHz so still no input on what might be causing the instability. I finally got the system to crash with a blue screen (finally? how sad is that) and when it came back up windows said there was a problem but didnt decide to tell me what it was... @#%.

Just to let you know, you can get all your "Blue Screen" system errors by going into the Event Viewer somewhere in your Administration Panel depending on what OS you're on (assuming Windows).

post #35 of 43 Old 04-20-2008, 12:46 PM
3.5ghz

Liked: 63
If you have an old X2 lying around, or can fetch a cheap AM2 CPU (any kind)--now would be the time.

I was hinting at the PSU, because sometimes a random lock-up when loading a simple application could be a faulty Power Supply but the BSOD calls out Processor right in the darn message! It's worth a shot troubleshooting with a cheap AM2 CPU and seeing if the lock-ups still occur. You don't hear much about bad CPU's, but who knows...
thlnk3r likes this.

post #36 of 43 Old 04-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Tech Support

Good suggestion reptilematt. Credo, the best way to troubleshoot a failing PSU is to test the voltages with a multimeter. Here is a guide that I usually suggest to follow for this process: http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/guide...ing-guide.html

Good luck

Terms of Service

post #37 of 43 Old 04-20-2008, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlnk3r View Post
Credo, at least we know it's not your memory. It's all about process of elimination. Next thing I would do would be to download Western Digital's Lifeguard tools and run a surface scan on you raptor so we can rule that out. The tools can be downloaded and burnt to a CD that can be bootable.

Good luck
You know its bad when you wish a test would fail... HD tests out good. (Forgot to mention I ran chkdsk /r a ways back - both tests show no issues)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilematt View Post
If you have an old X2 lying around, or can fetch a cheap AM2 CPU (any kind)--now would be the time.

I was hinting at the PSU, because sometimes a random lock-up when loading a simple application could be a faulty Power Supply but the BSOD calls out Processor right in the darn message! It's worth a shot troubleshooting with a cheap AM2 CPU and seeing if the lock-ups still occur. You don't hear much about bad CPU's, but who knows...
My last chip was a 754 (I've been holding out for a quad and AM2+). Would be nice though. As for power, I was thinking about putting an UPS at the wall to see if the voltages stabilize. They walk a bit, but it doesn't seem to be too much. Not sure what standard deviation should be but the range of clock reference is ~+/-.04V from 0.

life's short, live it

post #38 of 43 Old 04-21-2008, 09:47 AM
Tech Support

Credo, if it hasn't been mentioned yet it also wouldn't hurt checking out the voltages of PSU. This process can easily be done by using a Multimeter. Here is a guide that explains on how to test the voltages: http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/guide...ing-guide.html

Good luck

Terms of Service

post #39 of 43 Old 04-22-2008, 08:34 AM
3.0ghz

Liked: 24
One thing that I do which seems to but may or may not help is under memory timings, change trfc0 through trfc3 (all 4) to the max. Apparently with DDR2-800 and my board it wants it set at 127.5 ns, but increased to 328 or whatever max is has greatly increased stability. Previously if I tried going much past 215 on the ref clock I would run into a non boot or quick crash situation fairly quickly. Recently i started pushing 2.7GHz on it (235! x 11.5) but stability blew goats that high.

Does the phenom have to be a BE one to be able to change the NB multi? When i was on the old 1.3 bios overclocking was done via the hex table for cpu multi, and the option to edit nb FID and DID was there as well, but always seemed to crash. Now on VP.0H bios ocing is significantly easier, and seems much more stable, but I swear its the NB thats killing me. Once the NB gets too far past 2.0GHz, game over, even though I feel the proc could do way more.

Chimp Challenge Participant  1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #40 of 43 Old 04-22-2008, 08:52 AM
2.4ghz

Liked: 17
Wow, frustrating!! Have you tried different drivers for everything? Might be your GPU, might starting doing this same silly thing a month or two ago when using the nVidia beta drivers. Kept locking up when I used Sage TV (Not an extreme program) and epsxe (LOL). I installed the newer betas and it stopped.

You might also try removing your GPU and other PCI cards and see if it still does it with the onboard GPU.

Have you tried calling customer service and seeing if there have been any compadability issues with this board and chip? It's still brand spankin new might be waiting for a BIOS update.

You also might be able to see if it's a driver issue by booting into safemode and seeing if it freezes there.

The first step in understanding the mystery of life is admitting there is a mystery. Let's just all agree...I exist, I'm aware, I create. But you already knew that, didn't you?

Google this: "Keeng James Hip Hop" then click a link

OC.net is my best friend.....

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page