Liked: 535
Just put together a budget rig:

Gigabyte 690V Micro ATX
X2 4000+ w/ stock cooler
2x1GB Corsair XMS2
WD 160GB HDD
Antec Earthwatts 380W
Cheap Rosewill Case

Powered it up, and everything worked fine for about 10 seconds, correctly prompted me to insert a CD into the CD-ROM and so forth. Then suddenly boom, it powered off. I didn't touch it, I was just sitting there. Now it won't turn on at all.

I opened up the case and double-checked all connections, they're all secure and properly connected. I noticed that when I flip the PSU switch to "O" to cut power it's quiet as expected, but when I flip it back to the "|" it makes a tick tick tick sound for as long as it's left like that. My Antec Earthwatts 500W makes no such noise. I'm thinking the PSU blew itself up after being on for about 10 seconds Would you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDruid go_quote.gif
I want it pink inside and out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Programmer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Try putting in your Earthwatts 500W to see if it turns on, so you can determine whether it's the 380W at fault or not.
durch likes this.

post #3 of 4 Old 04-26-2008, 11:47 PM
Tech Support

Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by durch View Post
I opened up the case and double-checked all connections, they're all secure and properly connected. I noticed that when I flip the PSU switch to "O" to cut power it's quiet as expected, but when I flip it back to the "|" it makes a tick tick tick sound for as long as it's left like that. My Antec Earthwatts 500W makes no such noise. I'm thinking the PSU blew itself up after being on for about 10 seconds Would you agree?
Durch, that definitely doesn't sound normal. I would try what 0ctogon suggested and swap the PSU's. Hopefully none of your components were damaged. That's a shame a Seasonic PSU took a dump on you like that
Do you have multimeter handy? If you can jump the PSU try testing the 12v, 5v and 3.3v and see what kind of numbers you get back. I'm a little curious...

Good luck bud
durch likes this.

Terms of Service

Originally Posted by txtmstrjoe:
"Steppings merely indicate possible outcomes due to the law of averages being in your favor."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-27-2008, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 535
Yea I just need to try out a new PSU. Of course it could have fried some parts as it died too, so this could make testing difficult. I think the power in this room is very dirty, my AMD rig blew a PSU too. Good thing I'm moving in 5 weeks I guess.

I don't have a multimeter handy, but I do have access to one at my school. I might take it in next weekend and take a look. Very disappointing to see such a reputable PSU die so quickly. I find it odd that everything worked for a few seconds before the failure too.

I'll have to give this all a try next weekend, thanks for the replies guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDruid go_quote.gif
I want it pink inside and out...

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page