Building and selling computers - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 64 Old 04-24-2011, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I was thinking about doing this.. (before I get started, if this is in the wrong thread, move it please, thanks..)

Buying components, putting together the PC's, and selling them locally, ebay, craigs list, ect...

I mean, building computers is a hobby of mine, as it probably is for you as well.. But I obv can't afford to just crank out computers for myself, id need to sell them..

Anyways, I probably don't need to get into it, you most likly get the jist of it.. What do you think? Has anyone ever tried this? Were you sucessful? Let me know.

Thanks,

Kirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSolider go_quote.gif

Hydrogen is actually really time consuming and bad for harvesting on the environment. Mostly because of leaks, and the way they drill for it.
- RIP OCN 2017 - Can not longer find reputable info here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 04-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Commodore 64

Liked: 1
It seems like it would be VERY hard to justify selling them on Craigslist or ebay at a higher price than you bought components for. I mean, you're essentially selling them a computer with open parts for more than it was new.

I guess people who don't know about computers might bite, but they generally go to trusted companies with their own warranties such as Dell or Mac

post #3 of 64 Old 04-24-2011, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 68
Yeah thats what I was thinking... Anyways to work around those factors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSolider go_quote.gif

Hydrogen is actually really time consuming and bad for harvesting on the environment. Mostly because of leaks, and the way they drill for it.
- RIP OCN 2017 - Can not longer find reputable info here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 Old 04-24-2011, 07:00 PM
1.3ghz

Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirus2012;13258845 
Yeah thats what I was thinking... Anyways to work around those factors?

Have to buy a lot in bulk....and I mean a lot. Only way to keep your material cost low enough to make something for your labor.
post #5 of 64 Old 04-24-2011, 07:00 PM

Liked: 118
I don't think you will get much business from doing this because those who just want a cheap computer can go with Dell and HP (whose volume purchasing allows them to reach far lower pricepoints) or those who want to customize their build can go to any number of boutique computer builders and likely get it cheaper than from you.

So unless you can justify buying tens if not hundreds of each item, it's going to be very hard to turn a profit.
Nilareon likes this.

post #6 of 64 Old 04-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Audiophile

Liked: 33
Unfortunatly I tried this before asking anyone who had already tried it, to make the story short, no one wanted the computer and by the time I sold off most of the now open components I had lost a few hundred dollars. If your in a busier area maybe post an ad and see if you get any replies, but whatever you do don't buy any components until you have already been payed!

post #7 of 64 Old 04-24-2011, 07:02 PM
1.3ghz

Liked: 20
Allot of people do it mostly people who have a reputation like my local PC shop they can custom build one for you and they also have pre-made ones that they made I'v also seen it on Ebay, but unless you have allot of advertisement or shop I wouldn't wast my time and money attempting it

drunken.gif-=AMD RADEON 6990 OWNER'S CLUB=-drunken.gif
post #8 of 64 Old 04-24-2011, 07:02 PM

Liked: 117
ya i agree its not cost effective to build and sell computers unless you find an amazing deal on parts also you have to get people to actually purchase them and if your building highend computers the people buying them will probablly know what is in them and wont pay as much the lower end ones are what you would want to sell however the profit margin in the lower end cheap computers blows when building them your self

- A+ Certification Links/Study guide - Network+ Certification Links/Study Guide
"Why is it 'marketing' when a company helps itself to my information against my will and 'piracy' or 'industrial espionage' if I helped myself to THEIR information against their will ?"

1090T 4214mhz proof.gif - Athlon 445 x3 4320MHz proof.gif FX 8150 6403mhz proof.gif
post #9 of 64 Old 04-24-2011, 07:03 PM

Liked: 7
you could put the warranties for the parts in your name then give the customer a time frame in which you will "repair or replace" the part. That way you can hold on to the paperwork necessary for a warranty process and they can have piece of mind that what they buy is covered.

post #10 of 64 Old 04-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Case Modder

Liked: 226
I agree it's not just hardware prices it's the software that will end it for you.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page