[Official] Gigabyte GA-990FXA-Series Owners Thread/Club - Page 466 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #4651 of 12382 Old 03-10-2013, 01:20 PM
AMD Overclocker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperGS View Post

Sabertooth is awsome, It installed way easy. Im running at 4.6ghz at load 52c max. "Stable" "No throttling or vdrop" The AI suite even report problems on screen: got a warning that voltage was low, So i fixed it. Bios is really nice and esy to follow. Even has trouble light on mobo so you know what to adjust. Should have bought the sabertooth the first time.......thats what I get for squeezing the dollar.

Good to hear. This will probably be the route I will be going. I have a trip to Alabama the beginning of April so I can't spend any money until I get back. Hopefully Gigabyte's BIOS revision fixes the throttling, if not I'll be looking into one of these. Thanks for the update kind sir.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4652 of 12382 Old 03-10-2013, 01:38 PM

Liked: 101
Sucks to hear that you all are having so many issues...

I know my board hasn't been the easiest thing to deal with, but its been a great board. Even being a 1.0 board, I'm very happy with what it has and continues to do.

My 8350 @ 4.73 50c full load 24hr stable is no small task.

I hope a BIOS update comes out soon to fix you guys up...
post #4653 of 12382 Old 03-11-2013, 12:20 AM

Liked: 1
I haven't used optical out yet, maybe not.but it's just a matter of tests and ears. You have both, sound card and onboard solution, try them. I was sceptical too when I first bought my auzentech, I've got a decent chip on one my previous board but there was differences between them, on the sharpness and the most of it, sounds ,on tunes I listened a thousand times, I've never heard.
"Oh there was a bass here, never heard this bell before,..and more

For me, if you can't hear a large spectrum of sound, the soundcard could be useless. In oppostion, I'll never buy a 150$ soundcard for listening 128kbits MP3, on 15$ speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4654 of 12382 Old 03-11-2013, 05:43 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by krajlevic View Post

I haven't used optical out yet, maybe not.but it's just a matter of tests and ears. You have both, sound card and onboard solution, try them. I was sceptical too when I first bought my auzentech, I've got a decent chip on one my previous board but there was differences between them, on the sharpness and the most of it, sounds ,on tunes I listened a thousand times, I've never heard.
"Oh there was a bass here, never heard this bell before,..and more

For me, if you can't hear a large spectrum of sound, the soundcard could be useless. In oppostion, I'll never buy a 150$ soundcard for listening 128kbits MP3, on 15$ speakers.

External sound is the way to go. On my Sig Rig I use a Kenwood receiver to power two 100w 3-way tower speakers(appt's so I have to watch the bass). Its a very cheap system but blow's a sound card out of the water.

For the back up rig(one with the UD3) I'm searching for an optical/toshlink DAC + Dayton DBA-100A to power speaker's (undecided on those still)

After hearing many cheap external sound set up I'll never go back to internal sound cards wink.gif CraigsList +$200 can = great value in PC audio.

Yes, I spell things wrong just to drive you nuts.

post #4655 of 12382 Old 03-11-2013, 06:11 AM
733mhz

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKomputing View Post

External sound is the way to go. On my Sig Rig I use a Kenwood receiver to power two 100w 3-way tower speakers(appt's so I have to watch the bass). Its a very cheap system but blow's a sound card out of the water.

For the back up rig(one with the UD3) I'm searching for an optical/toshlink DAC + Dayton DBA-100A to power speaker's (undecided on those still)

After hearing many cheap external sound set up I'll never go back to internal sound cards wink.gif CraigsList +$200 can = great value in PC audio.
So are u saying that if ur plugged into a receiver there is no need to buy a better card? For my htpc, I have the onboard sound hooked up to my Denon avr589 via toslink

post #4656 of 12382 Old 03-11-2013, 06:51 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccaula718 View Post

So are u saying that if ur plugged into a receiver there is no need to buy a better card? For my htpc, I have the onboard sound hooked up to my Denon avr589 via toslink

The receiver's internal DAC/Decoder is doing all of your decoding while hooked up to optical/toslink. Using an external sound system/card is ideal because it removes the "PSU noise" from the equation. Unless your receiver is of extremly low quality its going to be hard to find a better internal sound option.

What receiver if I may ask.

EDIT: When I read your post I didn't notice you listed the model number of your Denon. Keep it. Its not the best receiver by any mean's but your going to spend a great deal of money to find a sound card that will beat it.

Then comes another really big problem with internal sound cards. Powered Speaker's (Dun dun dun!). They are overpriced and pretty lame in comparison to passive speaker's.

By the time you get a sound card that will do better than your Denon, and then find some PC speaker's that will work well with them its going to be costly. Stick with your receiver unless you have an absolute need for more than 5.1 or it is unable to properly drive your desired speaker system to an appropriate volume level.

Yes, I spell things wrong just to drive you nuts.

post #4657 of 12382 Old 03-11-2013, 06:29 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 0
Could anyone help me figure something out? Whenever I change something (ie the multiplier) in the rev.3 UD3 bios I get a message that says failure to boot. I use to have my Phenom running at 3.8 on my old mobo but now ANY change will just make it impossible to boot. I can't post any pics right (from phone at work) but it's a pain... Am I missing something obvious here?

Edit: The one tine I did successfully change it, the message came back upon restart.

post #4658 of 12382 Old 03-11-2013, 07:01 PM
733mhz

Liked: 13
I contacted Gigabyte about the lack of APM on the version 3 like another member did a couple of pages ago:

post #4659 of 12382 Old 03-11-2013, 10:18 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriBrod View Post

Could anyone help me figure something out? Whenever I change something (ie the multiplier) in the rev.3 UD3 bios I get a message that says failure to boot. I use to have my Phenom running at 3.8 on my old mobo but now ANY change will just make it impossible to boot. I can't post any pics right (from phone at work) but it's a pain... Am I missing something obvious here?

Edit: The one tine I did successfully change it, the message came back upon restart.

Do you have HPC enabled? If so you need to boot into Bios, disable it then save and reboot into your operating system. Then reboot into the bios again and change the multiplier and other desired settings then save and boot to operating system. Finally reboot to bios one last time and swith the HPC back on and it should be fine. It's a pain in the button but has worked for me and was brought to my attention in another thread.
PatriBrod likes this.
post #4660 of 12382 Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 PM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccaula718 View Post

I contacted Gigabyte about the lack of APM on the version 3 like another member did a couple of pages ago:

I'm glad others are doing this too. I really hope this fixes the throttling issue. So far I have not been happy at all with my purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishinItWas View Post

Do you have HPC enabled? If so you need to boot into Bios, disable it then save and reboot into your operating system. Then reboot into the bios again and change the multiplier and other desired settings then save and boot to operating system. Finally reboot to bios one last time and swith the HPC back on and it should be fine. It's a pain in the button but has worked for me and was brought to my attention in another thread.

That is what it sounds like and actually thanks to your post pointing this out I was able to avoid this retarded issue, so thank you kind sir!

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page