Asus M4A87TD-Series Owners Club - Page 5 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #41 of 75 Old 01-04-2012, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
the case is made back when the intil p4 775 chip set 1st came out got the case used for 50 buck an moded it out with a window and added more fans took out the front bay cover cuz it was missing some an made a custom window right under the dvd writer custom paint job did the 3d water drop effect on it then did a blue candy an made everything else flat black looking forward to my next build of the amd fx4100 making it water cooled

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 75 Old 01-04-2012, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
Case Modder

Liked: 22

Yeah, I'll probably be doing up a watercooled build on this thing, once I either get a better case, or completly strip this one down and redesign it. It has pockets that trap heat mainly around the northbridge area. Short of keeping every panel off the computer, I have not been able to steady the temps. But, for $55USD, what did I expect, right?

rolleyes.gif Go to any icon and try to right-click it and tell me a Mac is better than a PC!rolleyes.gif

post #43 of 75 Old 01-05-2012, 08:58 AM

yea mine stays fairly cool 27c an 28c load for 20 min stress test on prime 95 at 4.0gh but i have my case set up next to a window and its a push pull set up as an intake so im sucking that cold air in to my rad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 75 Old 01-06-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
Case Modder

I tried that, but there was not enough cool air coming in, and the top-mount fan is about 10 MM too close to the back of the case. IT was basically trapping even more air in the system. I been thinking about just taking the top panel off my case and redesigning it to have another 120MM slot above the current rear fan slot, and maybe angle it to about mid-way of the case, and add 2 more 120 MM slots on the top, mounting my Kuhler on the lowest one. That way the radiator would be at the top, completely away from the motherboard.

I'm also looking to replace the tubing on my Kuhler and add a Reservoir, that way the radiator would be completely full. It's my understanding Antec leaves a little room for liquid expansion in theirs, since they have no reservoir.

rolleyes.gif Go to any icon and try to right-click it and tell me a Mac is better than a PC!rolleyes.gif

post #45 of 75 Old 01-06-2012, 08:47 PM

take the top fan off mount it to the side panel set it up to blow air out and set the front fan to blow air out that way u have 2 fans blowing the heat out then what thermal compound r u using im using gelid gc extreme on all nb an sb an on cpu an gpu its like 10 bucks on http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=46_58&products_id=26246 there warehouse is down the road from me they got good price on some stuff an pricie on others but they have ne thing u need for moding think of it like a car rad u want to pull air in to the rad and use the other fans to pull the hot air out of the case and if u reduce heat u add life an proformance like in an engine u reduce friction u reduce the heat made an add power if u add a res mount the rad at the bottom of the case to suc in cold air an a top fan to blow the hot air out the case cuz cold air sinks an heat rises

post #46 of 75 Old 01-07-2012, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter
Case Modder

yeah, doing a ton of experimenting with this thing. Right now, the CPU is the ony thing I have re-compounded. Using Antec Formula 6 Nano Diamond, cause it is the only thing I can get locally, and so far I've seen better numbers than I ever did with AS5.

IDK, other than the styling, I don't much care for this case. I'd much prefer getting a Lian-Li A05N, or the silverstone equivialant. Ever since I had my old HP with the inverted motherboard I've realised that is a rock-solid design. And, with the Lian-Li, the PSU is mounted in the front, which completely pulls the heat from the area of the motherboard. Problem is, the cheaper stores online have deactivated that case. IDk, Kindda thinking I'll get a cheap case that I can destroy for the Motherboard tray, and make my own. That way, I know it suits my needs.

post #47 of 75 Old 01-09-2012, 11:04 PM

tru its hard finding a good case best one i found i like is this alienware 1 im using but lil devil make a real good water cooled case i liked

post #48 of 75 Old 01-13-2012, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
Case Modder

It's a shame Asus set the cutoff for the Motherboards that they will make BIOS updates to run the FX CPUS at the 890FX Chipset motherboards. I Personally believe that this motherboard would love a FX-8150 Processor. You know, in the old days, just cause the CPU wasn't supported in BIOS didn't mean you couldn't run it, just ment the Company didn't update the BIOS to technically support it. Makes me wonder if we couldn't program our own BIOS to run them. Maybe I should talk to someone that has helped with the BIOS designs for the Beta-BIOS's for the 990FX Sabretooth Motherboards, (Happen to have met one in another thread).

post #49 of 75 Old 01-19-2012, 07:46 AM

tru im looking at doing a fx 4100 an unlocking it to 8 cores cuz the 4100 has the same specs as the 8150 just made to be 4 core an 4 more are lockedi dont know ne thing about bios hell i cant even update mine

post #50 of 75 Old 01-19-2012, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
Case Modder

hmmm, I did the BIOS updates simply to be sure I don't run into stability issues. I'm not sure about your specific model, but Asus Update program is what I used on mine. It's not too hard to follow.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page