Ok, total newb question - Page 3 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #21 of 25 Old 10-07-2006, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Looking for a henway

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 830
OK, got it. Just be happy with what I got. I am really not totally understanding what your saying with all these terms, so that is part of the problem too.
I just tried a benchmark test and it locked up on it, so I guess I just need to listen to the experts. I set it back to its "optimized settings" and will leave it at that.
Once I get the money, maybe then I will try building one. Thanks again for your help and tolerating a noob.

Slightly related, since my machine only supports 4x AGP, would a 8x AGP card work on this machine? I know I would not get the full benefits of the 8x, but is it even worth it (figure I can get the AGP card now and use it on whatever I build in a year or so??)
burnstudios likes this.

Why I fold:

sad-smiley-002.gifLost: Father: Liver Cancer '08, Aunt: Ovarian Cancer '96, Aunt: Brain Cancer, '13, Grandmother: Bone Cancer '99,
thumb.gifWinning; Brother-in-Law: Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma - 11 yrs; Brother-in-Law: Pancreatic Cancer - 4 yrs; Mother-in-Law: Breast cancer - 22 years, Ureter Cancer 1 year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 10-07-2006, 08:10 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 113
yes an 8x card will work in your 4x slot, and there really isnt any noticable difference bewteen the two. as far as using an agp card that you buy now and using it in a year or so , will be pretty much pointless.. as agp motherboard now are harder and harder to come by.. everything has went to pci-e .. but dont let that stop you from buying a decent agp card now to get some more use out of your system. a 7600GT or even a 6600GT would serve you well.
post #23 of 25 Old 10-07-2006, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
Looking for a henway

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnstudios
... everything has went to pci-e ...
Great, another term I don't know. LOL

I may just go with a cheap 128 or 256 AGP video card for now then, or can I get a pci-e for this one? From what I have quickly read they are not compatable, it is one or the other, right?

Why I fold:

sad-smiley-002.gifLost: Father: Liver Cancer '08, Aunt: Ovarian Cancer '96, Aunt: Brain Cancer, '13, Grandmother: Bone Cancer '99,
thumb.gifWinning; Brother-in-Law: Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma - 11 yrs; Brother-in-Law: Pancreatic Cancer - 4 yrs; Mother-in-Law: Breast cancer - 22 years, Ureter Cancer 1 year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 25 Old 10-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Audiophile

Liked: 206
pci-e = pci express. its a card slot like agp but just newer and better. pci-e will not fit in your motherboard. search ebay for a cheap agp card as pretty much all new motherboards are pci-e only unless you have the cash for a new system. people sometimes do deals

#1 - The first rule of Infraction Club is, you do not talk about Infraction Club.
#2 - The second rule of Infraction Club is, you DO NOT talk about Infraction Club!!

Basically Random Idiotic Terrible Insanely Stupid Humour
post #25 of 25 Old 10-07-2006, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
Looking for a henway

E-bay it is then. Thanks again.

Why I fold:

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page