Overclocker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 84
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157281
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138341

Which is better and why?

The ASRock has better pci slot arrangement for my plans, I can SLI/Crossfire 2 graphics cards and have either a PCI or PCI 1x sound card, on the Biostar I would HAVE to get a PCI sound card. I don't know what sound card I'm going to get yet so it would be nice to have the option of either. But if the Biostar is significantly better other than those things I would rather get it. And the ASRock also looks better.

I don't on getting crazy overclocks, but I want to get up to around 'average' And I'll probably upgrade to a FX-8xxx or 1090t eventually, or Trinity if it's the same socket.

Now what if I don't get enough for those, what's the best under $120? ASRock 970 EXTREME4? Or the GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3, it has more phases but the PCI-E slots are 16x/4x while the ASRock is 8x/8x.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 76
The GA-990XA-UD3 supports 8x/8x and is $10 more.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128510
post #3 of 13 Old 03-05-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylene View Post

The GA-990XA-UD3 supports 8x/8x and is $10 more.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128510

That's less PCI-E lanes than the first 2 I posted(they're both 16x/16x), not that it really matter because 8x is enough for even a 580. That's what I'll pick IF I can get $10 more but I'm already probably going to have to borrow like $20 to get the $130 boards, it depends how much my xbox sells for on Ebay.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYonderGod View Post

That's less PCI-E lanes than the first 2 I posted(they're both 16x/16x), not that it really matter because 8x is enough for even a 580. That's what I'll pick IF I can get $10 more but I'm already probably going to have to borrow like $20 to get the $130 boards, it depends how much my xbox sells for on Ebay.
I was more commenting on your comment about the GA-970XA-UD3.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-05-2012, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylene View Post

I was more commenting on your comment about the GA-970XA-UD3.

Ah, it's $30 more then.

post #6 of 13 Old 03-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYonderGod View Post

Ah, it's $30 more then.

I suppose I wasn't very clear. I meant it's $10 more than the two first boards you mentioned. Either way, its a good board. I own two.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-05-2012, 06:17 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 113
what has me concerned about these selections is the Powerphases is both 4+1 on the Asrock and Biostar

post #8 of 13 Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkoXan View Post

what has me concerned about these selections is the Powerphases is both 4+1 on the Asrock and Biostar

I thought 4+1 was fine as long as you don't try to go for extreme overclocks, and I read in the motherboard VRM information thread that a lot of 8+1 phase motherboards are really still 4 channels.

post #9 of 13 Old 03-06-2012, 02:33 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 113
yeah i know 8+1 is 4 channels but those are usually more safer then that of 4+1's in general, some been known to go poof on stock Values and being a Quad Core or higher CPU, the Biostar is using a Analog Mosfet which can take like 300watts of power on the CPU alone before anything happens. but they run extremely warm apparently to the touch on the heatsink.

both are good companies, and such Biostar known for their great OEM style Boards and Asrock for their quality and budget boards that carries several features that of a higher end board. i would do Biostar if it was absolute tho on these two Motherboards i know the Card placement is restrictive on the airflow for the cards in CFX or SLI but that can be remedied usually with a small thing to seperate them alittle bit more. but the Analog system Biostar uses on the power phases seems to do the trick. a reviewer was able to go as high as 4.8ghz on a 8 Core Bulldozer without issue i might add.

the Asrock would be a alright option if Overclocking isn't a function needed by the user but style is as it's all black and gold can give a case like the CM 912 or others like that a good pop of looks, it does got better spacing for CFX and SLI to breath which helps alot. Asrock was part of Asus and they kept the quality as they left Asus and managed to give great mobo selection for the right kind of money. performance is around that of the Biostar which is pretty good so it's very small margain, the Asrocks Heatsink isn't to big and shouldn't come really close to contacting the video card unless it has a backplate then it gets close but it's not like the Biostar where if a backplate is on the card it comes close to touching.

Trinity will not be AM3+, PileDriver is AM3+

16x / x4 SLI/CFX isn't much different from 8x / 8x very small in gaming, it's only noticed if your a benchmarker which givin how your a decent overclocker and that Overclocking isn't a neccessity your not a benchmarker. other then that 16x / x4 can provide sufficient Video Card power to games in dual Card situations smile.gif.

as for Gigabyte i own a 990XA-UD3 which is 10 bucks more and it's one hell of a Mobo from my experience. i've looked at the 970 Giga and Asrock and they look alright for a avg user i would get the Giga tho if the Biostar cannot be had also to there's another reason i choose Biostar is cause of the Warranty the Asrock is 1 year Biostar is 3 years smile.gif i don't know if any of it make sense as it's 4am and i been up for over 24 hours....yay me..
TheYonderGod likes this.

post #10 of 13 Old 03-06-2012, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkoXan View Post

yeah i know 8+1 is 4 channels but those are usually more safer then that of 4+1's in general, some been known to go poof on stock Values and being a Quad Core or higher CPU, the Biostar is using a Analog Mosfet which can take like 300watts of power on the CPU alone before anything happens. but they run extremely warm apparently to the touch on the heatsink.
both are good companies, and such Biostar known for their great OEM style Boards and Asrock for their quality and budget boards that carries several features that of a higher end board. i would do Biostar if it was absolute tho on these two Motherboards i know the Card placement is restrictive on the airflow for the cards in CFX or SLI but that can be remedied usually with a small thing to seperate them alittle bit more. but the Analog system Biostar uses on the power phases seems to do the trick. a reviewer was able to go as high as 4.8ghz on a 8 Core Bulldozer without issue i might add.
the Asrock would be a alright option if Overclocking isn't a function needed by the user but style is as it's all black and gold can give a case like the CM 912 or others like that a good pop of looks, it does got better spacing for CFX and SLI to breath which helps alot. Asrock was part of Asus and they kept the quality as they left Asus and managed to give great mobo selection for the right kind of money. performance is around that of the Biostar which is pretty good so it's very small margain, the Asrocks Heatsink isn't to big and shouldn't come really close to contacting the video card unless it has a backplate then it gets close but it's not like the Biostar where if a backplate is on the card it comes close to touching.
Trinity will not be AM3+, PileDriver is AM3+
16x / x4 SLI/CFX isn't much different from 8x / 8x very small in gaming, it's only noticed if your a benchmarker which givin how your a decent overclocker and that Overclocking isn't a neccessity your not a benchmarker. other then that 16x / x4 can provide sufficient Video Card power to games in dual Card situations smile.gif.
as for Gigabyte i own a 990XA-UD3 which is 10 bucks more and it's one hell of a Mobo from my experience. i've looked at the 970 Giga and Asrock and they look alright for a avg user i would get the Giga tho if the Biostar cannot be had also to there's another reason i choose Biostar is cause of the Warranty the Asrock is 1 year Biostar is 3 years smile.gif i don't know if any of it make sense as it's 4am and i been up for over 24 hours....yay me..

Thanks for answering everything in detail, +rep.

As my Ebay auction for my Xbox gets closer and closer to the end with still 0 bids (it's starting at $110 with free shipping) I'm doubting that I'll be able to get enough for more than the 970 Gigabyte :/
If Ebay wasn't stupid and would let me sell my modded original xbox, I could probably get a really nice motherboard mad.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page