post #12 of 42 Old 12-17-2013, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixson01974 View Post

Well you can get a Sabertooth R2.0 too.

One of the reasons I am leaning towards the Formula is cause of the color combo it uses. I know I am spending more money than if I went with a cheaper board but I like the red and black color combo. Also it has a lot of good reviews and I don't know I would like to own Asus's top motherboard for AM3+
post #13 of 42 Old 12-17-2013, 09:36 PM
5.0ghz

Liked: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthm4goth View Post

Quote:

Well you can get a Sabertooth R2.0 too.

One of the reasons I am leaning towards the Formula is cause of the color combo it uses. I know I am spending more money than if I went with a cheaper board but I like the red and black color combo. Also it has a lot of good reviews and I don't know I would like to own Asus's top motherboard for AM3+
Well if you can stand a red, black and white color theme. Plus if you can find one. There is a Biostar TA990FXE. Which is just as good as an AsRock 990FX Extreme9, but it doesn't support the FX-9370 or FX-9590.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 42 Old 12-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 1
Quote:

I mean Asus advertises the formula-z and the formula http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/CROSSHAIR_V_FORMULA/ I tried to read the difference between the two and couldn't really figure it out

This Forumla-Z gives you a the ability to get the DIMM to 2400(O.C.) vs. 2133(OC). It also gives you one more PCIe 2.0 and no PCI slot. They redid "improved" some of the audio related stuff on the "z" as well as changed some of the ports on the back of the board. Also it's a 64Mb Flash ROM, UEFI BIOS vs. a 32MB flash ROM for bios. You can see all the differences if you use the "Compare" feature on the Asus site.

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS ROG Maximus VI Formula | XSPC Liquid Cooling Loop
Sandisk 64 GB - OS Installed | Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Data/Games | 16 GB Ram
EVGA 980's SC x 2 | Windows 8.1 | HX750 ATX/EP |CM Storm Stryker Case
Samsung UHD 4k Monitor
post #15 of 42 Old 12-17-2013, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagemic View Post

This Forumla-Z gives you a the ability to get the DIMM to 2400(O.C.) vs. 2133(OC). It also gives you one more PCIe 2.0 and no PCI slot. They redid "improved" some of the audio related stuff on the "z" as well as changed some of the ports on the back of the board. Also it's a 64Mb Flash ROM, UEFI BIOS vs. a 32MB flash ROM for bios. You can see all the differences if you use the "Compare" feature on the Asus site.

Thank you I did but I didn't look super close I was in the middle of doing other things so I skimmed it. If the "z" is the improved one was is the regular formula the expensive one
post #16 of 42 Old 12-17-2013, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well if you can stand a red, black and white color theme. Plus if you can find one. There is a Biostar TA990FXE. Which is just as good as an AsRock 990FX Extreme9, but it doesn't support the FX-9370 or FX-9590.

Might sound weird but that would go even better cause I am getting a white case. I don't know why I like the white case with all the black and red inside but having some white on the board would tie everything together. My only problem is it is discontinued and I feel like if something went wrong with the board biostar would pretty much tell me to get a new up to date board
post #17 of 42 Old 12-17-2013, 10:28 PM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 1
Quote:

Thank you I did but I didn't look super close I was in the middle of doing other things so I skimmed it. If the "z" is the improved one was is the regular formula the expensive one

No idea there. It may have to do with supply/demand. I'm not sure if they are still making the Forumlas anymore and that could be causing the price to go up. But again I have no idea.

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS ROG Maximus VI Formula | XSPC Liquid Cooling Loop
Sandisk 64 GB - OS Installed | Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Data/Games | 16 GB Ram
EVGA 980's SC x 2 | Windows 8.1 | HX750 ATX/EP |CM Storm Stryker Case
Samsung UHD 4k Monitor
post #18 of 42 Old 12-17-2013, 10:42 PM
5.0ghz

Quote:

Quote:

Might sound weird but that would go even better cause I am getting a white case. I don't know why I like the white case with all the black and red inside but having some white on the board would tie everything together. My only problem is it is discontinued and I feel like if something went wrong with the board biostar would pretty much tell me to get a new up to date board
I have tested one and that is way I said what I did. The Biostar is bad for not making anything over 4+1 power phase on there 9** chipset mobo and only make x amount of there mobo too. The power phase is very good quality.

post #19 of 42 Old 12-17-2013, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have tested one and that is way I said what I did. The Biostar is bad for not making anything over 4+1 power phase on there 9** chipset mobo and only make x amount of there mobo too. The power phase is very good quality.

I mean I can pick one up off of ebay for 149.99 but that is even more sketchy to me. I like to sell on ebay I am not a big fan of buying off there cause well people can be jerks ship stuff for cheap with out the proper care taken into consideration, that and people just plain lie. It all just seems to risky for such an important item to me. Yeah it would save me money but if it didn't work and I couldn't get any support or a replacement I would be out that 150.00. But thank you for your input made me really think about what I wanna do. If I could find one at a reliable store I might go that route
post #20 of 42 Old 12-17-2013, 11:02 PM
5.0ghz

FYI
There are Refurbished Biostar TA990FXE on Amazon for $87 shipped. If it helps.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page