Which of these mobos are the best - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 54 Old 06-03-2016, 09:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Get the MSI G43. Then when you overclock it will catch on fire and burn your house down. Then you can take the insurance money and buy proper components. But you will be living in a tent..........
Undervolter likes this.

post-flame-small.gif 5ghz-overclock-club post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gif 1ghz-overclock-club post-flame-small.gifdevil.gif| 5ghz 24/7 club| devil.gif

CALEXIT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 54 Old 06-03-2016, 09:35 AM
x264 Enthusiast

Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklkit View Post

Get the MSI G43. Then when you overclock it will catch on fire and burn your house down. Then you can take the insurance money and buy proper components. But you will be living in a tent..........

lachen.gifapplaud.gif

PLEASE, don't PM me to solve your computer problems privately. That's what the forum is for.
post #13 of 54 Old 06-03-2016, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 3
I think I just said I'm going to go to the as rock mobo the reg aTX with 4 USB 3 ports and a good value. I can't wait to put it with the 8300 and my 380x graphics card I have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 54 Old 06-03-2016, 03:10 PM

Liked: 744
ASRock 970 PRO3 R2.0? If that's the case, hope you've got a fire insurance.
4+1 phase VRM alone is bad enough for FX-8K series CPUs (regardless if 95W or not), but a naked, analog one featuring the cheapest components available...

Cheap ASRock & MSI AMD boards = a fire hazard.
post #15 of 54 Old 06-03-2016, 03:14 PM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

They are all complete garbage for a FX-8K CPU. The bare minimum is either GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3P or GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P.
I agree with you, if he want to overclock an 8-core FX the 970A-UD3P is the way to go, for only 4GHz the D3P could do the job, being UD3P preferably if he want to OC higher...

post #16 of 54 Old 06-03-2016, 03:33 PM
x264 Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccolo55 View Post

I think I just said I'm going to go to the as rock mobo the reg aTX with 4 USB 3 ports and a good value. I can't wait to put it with the 8300 and my 380x graphics card I have

Congratulations on a very bad choice. The motherboard is in the top 5 most RMAed in the 1st year in hardware.fr classifications for at least 2 years that i remember. It's not full ATX (it's almost ATX), it has the classical Asrock thinner PCB, analog PWM and second rate mosfets and no VRM heatsink.

Asrock is as polite as it can get without damaging itself and warns you even for 95W CPUs:

* For cooling the CPU and its surrounding components, please install a CPU cooler with a top-down blowing design.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Pro3%20R2.0/?cat=CPU

I have the Asrock 970 Extreme3, which is a little better in everything compared to the Pro and my 8320 was hitting 62C at IBT and 4Ghz was doable, but i was feeling uneasy about it, which led me to buy 3 more motherboards with more phases. With the Gigabyte UD3P, the CPU temp dropped by 10C.

Now imagine how comfortable the Pro will be, being worse in every sector compared to the extreme3.

Anyway, it's your money, your PC, one can only try.

PLEASE, don't PM me to solve your computer problems privately. That's what the forum is for.
post #17 of 54 Old 06-03-2016, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undervolter View Post

Congratulations on a very bad choice. The motherboard is in the top 5 most RMAed in the 1st year in hardware.fr classifications for at least 2 years that i remember. It's not full ATX (it's almost ATX), it has the classical Asrock thinner PCB, analog PWM and second rate mosfets and no VRM heatsink.

Asrock is as polite as it can get without damaging itself and warns you even for 95W CPUs:

* For cooling the CPU and its surrounding components, please install a CPU cooler with a top-down blowing design.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Pro3%20R2.0/?cat=CPU

I have the Asrock 970 Extreme3, which is a little better in everything compared to the Pro and my 8320 was hitting 62C at IBT and 4Ghz was doable, but i was feeling uneasy about it, which led me to buy 3 more motherboards with more phases. With the Gigabyte UD3P, the CPU temp dropped by 10C.

Now imagine how comfortable the Pro will be, being worse in every sector compared to the extreme3.

Anyway, it's your money, your PC, one can only try.
hmm I didn't know it had all those issues I heard as rock is a good brand. And saw it had good features. What cooler do you use? I use a Evo 212. I just really can't go much above $75 4 a motherboard there is one by the board I kind of wish was cheaper the MSI gaming 970
post #18 of 54 Old 06-03-2016, 03:49 PM
x264 Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccolo55 View Post

hmm I didn't know it had all those issues I heard as rock is a good brand. And saw it had good features. What cooler do you use? I use a Evo 212. I just really can't go much above $75 4 a motherboard there is one by the board I kind of wish was cheaper the MSI gaming 970

No matter what cooler you use, the Asrocks overheat in the socket. I used both Scythe Rasetsu and Xigmatek Balder, same result. The problem when using tower cooler, like yours, is that the motherboard will get even hotter, with dangers for longevity and for VRM throttling. That's why Asrock says "please install a top down cooler". So that it can blow some air on the mosfets too.

Asrock was never known for quality, but for features. You get what you pay for. I got many Asrocks, while i was running my 6300. Then i bought my 8320. And then i decided that i 'd better get some less hot motherboards. See what i mean? The extreme3 could run the 8320 undervolted at 4Ghz, but given the fact that i often leave the PC encoding video while i am away, i wasn't comfortable with the idea, of the Asrock sweating all time without me close to keep an eye on things. And so i bought 3 non Asrocks:

And i bought the Asrocks when i had the 1090T and later the 6300. And i bought a lot of them in case they fail.

post #19 of 54 Old 06-03-2016, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undervolter View Post

No matter what cooler you use, the Asrocks overheat in the socket. I used both Scythe Rasetsu and Xigmatek Balder, same result. The problem when using tower cooler, like yours, is that the motherboard will get even hotter, with dangers for longevity and for VRM throttling. That's why Asrock says "please install a top down cooler". So that it can blow some air on the mosfets too.

Asrock was never known for quality, but for features. You get what you pay for. I got many Asrocks, while i was running my 6300. Then i bought my 8320. And then i decided that i 'd better get some less hot motherboards. See what i mean? The extreme3 could run the 8320 undervolted at 4Ghz, but given the fact that i often leave the PC encoding video while i am away, i wasn't comfortable with the idea, of the Asrock sweating all time without me close to keep an eye on things. And so i bought 3 non Asrocks:

And i bought the Asrocks when i had the 1090T and later the 6300. And i bought a lot of them in case they fail.
Jesus
post #20 of 54 Old 06-03-2016, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page