Gigabyte X399 Designare EX; any experiences? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-15-2017, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 248
I'm looking into Threadripper systems and am tempted by the X399 Designare EX, but can't find much on it outside of a few reviews, which are all pretty glowing.

It's been a while since I had a Gigabyte board and while obviously things like the Asus Zenith Extreme are very popular, they also seem to have a fair few issues. My impression is that Asus are being sluggish with addressing some of these problems as well, which whether correct or not has further tempted me into trying a different manufacturer. The X399 Designare EX seems to pretty much tick every box I need ticked, but I also need to make sure that once it is set up, it isn't constantly having to be torn down or updated just to get it stable.

It's only 8+4pin CPU, but since I don't intend to be overclocking it at all, I don't think that should present too much of an issue?

Only other thing that concerns me is I remember reading about issues with the Foxconn socket when installing the CPU?

Thanks in advance for any input. smile.gif

500 Million Folding Points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-17-2017, 07:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 1357
I've been an Asus and Gigabyte guy for a while, but I went with the Asrock X370 Taichi and it's amazing! I would definitely do the X399 Taichi if I were building Threadripper. Assuming my Taichi lasts for a while (I would expect it to with the really nice quality components) I'll be doing Asrock boards from here on out because the price/performance is just unparalleled.

Level1Techs did a glowing review on X399 Designare EX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z0v_Kc3E-4 and I trust them a lot. 5tgThe Foxconn socket is discussed around 15:10 . I wouldn't make that the deciding factor, it should hopefully be a one time install and then you're done with it. To me it looks like a really solid board, I just don't think it's worth the $60 - $70 premium over the Taichi. The Rog Zenith Extreme looks nice too but man is that even more expensive. Nothing wrong with the Gigabyte, looks like a really really solid board.
Paradigm Shifter likes this.

Chimp Challenge Participant  2 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #3 of 5 Old 12-18-2017, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the thoughts.

I'm actually personally using the Asrock X370-Gaming-ITX right now, and it's a solid little performer. I'll have another look at the Taichi, I discounted it for a reason, but perhaps I should have another gander.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-18-2017, 05:44 AM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

I'm looking into Threadripper systems and am tempted by the X399 Designare EX, but can't find much on it outside of a few reviews, which are all pretty glowing.

It's been a while since I had a Gigabyte board and while obviously things like the Asus Zenith Extreme are very popular, they also seem to have a fair few issues. My impression is that Asus are being sluggish with addressing some of these problems as well, which whether correct or not has further tempted me into trying a different manufacturer. The X399 Designare EX seems to pretty much tick every box I need ticked, but I also need to make sure that once it is set up, it isn't constantly having to be torn down or updated just to get it stable.

It's only 8+4pin CPU, but since I don't intend to be overclocking it at all, I don't think that should present too much of an issue?

Only other thing that concerns me is I remember reading about issues with the Foxconn socket when installing the CPU?

Thanks in advance for any input. smile.gif

Hello Paradigm Shifter. ı have been used very long time gigabyte mb since year 2001. I have never issue with it. gigabyte update their vrm cooling solution. they add fan on vrm heatsink. now its more efective cooling. you can go with gigabyte , no mistake
post #5 of 5 Old 12-19-2017, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZADAM View Post

Hello Paradigm Shifter. ı have been used very long time gigabyte mb since year 2001. I have never issue with it. gigabyte update their vrm cooling solution. they add fan on vrm heatsink. now its more efective cooling. you can go with gigabyte , no mistake
Thanks for the input.

I've handed the parts list to relevant parties, so I guess we'll see what happens.

I'll update when it's done, depending on how easy or difficult the board was being.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page