Forum Jump: 

post #9051 of 12360 Old 09-03-2011, 05:20 AM
733mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 51
@gr8sho:

One more thing came to my mind; You did try lowering the HT multplier when you "reached a wall" for HT frequency, right? Otherwise that might be thie issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale-C;14804881 
I don't think having the HT speed anything past
stock will give you any more performance, or will it?

By itself, probably very little, but I don't really know. I have always overclocked CPU & RAM when I have increased the HT frequency so I have never made any benchmarks on increased HT frequency alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale-C;14804881 
Also DrSwizz, what BIOS were you using for that OC for the Sempron and RAM?

2209, but 5002 seems to give more or less the same performance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9052 of 12360 Old 09-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Commodore 64

Liked: 11
Thanks for the feedback DrSwizz. I'm getting some of these from a friend of mine: http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-ddr2-pc2-9200-flex-ii-4gb-series-eol.html

OCZ DDR2 PC2-9200 / 1150 MHz / Flex II XLC / 4GB Dual Channel

Reckon those would work stock or do I need the 5002 BIOS or do I need to set some settings in BIOS before I put these sticks in?
post #9053 of 12360 Old 09-03-2011, 08:49 AM
733mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale-C;14807724 
Thanks for the feedback DrSwizz. I'm getting some of these from a friend of mine: http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-ddr2-pc2-9200-flex-ii-4gb-series-eol.html

OCZ DDR2 PC2-9200 / 1150 MHz / Flex II XLC / 4GB Dual Channel

Reckon those would work stock or do I need the 5002 BIOS or do I need to set some settings in BIOS before I put these sticks in?

Very nice memory sticks. :-)

You should not really need to make any changes. Keep the 2209 BIOS, I doubt the 5002 BIOS contains any changes that are useful when using an AM2 CPU.

How did you do that CAS3 memory overclock? What cooling & voltages did you use?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9054 of 12360 Old 09-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Commodore 64

Liked: 11
The one in my signature? Oh well one day my friend suggested OCing, to see if Battlefield 2 was any snappier so he told me to mess around with RAM. Stock was 5-5-5-15 2T 667Mhz 1.8 got it to like 4-4-4-8 2T and used 2.0v like he told me, to be safe.

Then one day I was OCing my CPU and see how far I could go. 3.2Ghz-3.3Ghz seemed to be the limit on most multipliers (I did nothing to the chipset volts either). I had been trying out all the multipliers and forgot to change the ram from 667 to 533 and ended up with ~1100Mhz Ram without me knowing it. Then eventually played around and got everything the lowest it could go in the RAM settings in BIOS (I really didn't know what I was doing) and ended up with 1130MHz 3-3-3-3 1T at 2.0v. Stock cooling aswell, they were OCZ System Elite, 2x1GB Sticks.

Then later on down the track I read about Voltages for the chipset so I set them all to +0.05 and got 3.4Ghz on the CPU and 1130Mhz on the RAM. I also think I had like 1300-1400 on the HT aswell then learned a closer HT speed to stock/1000 is stabler, so that helped me get to 3.4Ghz/1130Mhz.
post #9055 of 12360 Old 09-03-2011, 11:42 AM
733mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale-C;14808157 
The one in my signature? Oh well one day my friend suggested OCing, to see if Battlefield 2 was any snappier so he told me to mess around with RAM. Stock was 5-5-5-15 2T 667Mhz 1.8 got it to like 4-4-4-8 2T and used 2.0v like he told me, to be safe.

Then one day I was OCing my CPU and see how far I could go. 3.2Ghz-3.3Ghz seemed to be the limit on most multipliers (I did nothing to the chipset volts either). I had been trying out all the multipliers and forgot to change the ram from 667 to 533 and ended up with ~1100Mhz Ram without me knowing it. Then eventually played around and got everything the lowest it could go in the RAM settings in BIOS (I really didn't know what I was doing) and ended up with 1130MHz 3-3-3-3 1T at 2.0v. Stock cooling aswell, they were OCZ System Elite, 2x1GB Sticks.

Then later on down the track I read about Voltages for the chipset so I set them all to +0.05 and got 3.4Ghz on the CPU and 1130Mhz on the RAM. I also think I had like 1300-1400 on the HT aswell then learned a closer HT speed to stock/1000 is stabler, so that helped me get to 3.4Ghz/1130Mhz.

Only 2.0V!! That is some amazing RAM you got there!

post #9056 of 12360 Old 09-03-2011, 08:22 PM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 53
Nothing but nothing will make CHKDSK run under Windows 7 on either of the 4 disks I have. 5 if you count the 30G drive I ran on the IDE cable. Most of the the later tests were performed using the W7 install DVD recovery command prompt. But I may have mentioned that already. I should also say that most of this testing was done after ensuring CMOS was cleared just as an extra precaution.

I did try downgrading the BIOS to 2209 but that didn't seem to make any difference.

Of course booting into Window XP recovery console and CHKDSK works just fine. I said that too.

I'm starting to get concerned there is something wrong with my board, or at least W7 seems to think so. When booting from the W7 install disk and before it brings up the locale screen, it takes a very long time as if it's stalling on something.

Until I get my new board, I'm leaning towards that evo that Gyro has, I'll just continue to run as is.

post #9057 of 12360 Old 09-03-2011, 08:26 PM
AMD Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSwizz;14806759 
@gr8sho:
One more thing came to my mind; You did try lowering the HT multplier when you "reached a wall" for HT frequency, right? Otherwise that might be thie issue.

By itself, probably very little, but I don't really know. I have always overclocked CPU & RAM when I have increased the HT frequency so I have never made any benchmarks on increased HT frequency alone.

2209, but 5002 seems to give more or less the same performance.

Yes, it's running at 4X.

Personally I think running HTbus at 250 vs 200 makes the system snappier. I really have a hard time telling the difference in bootup times between my setup and my son's Rampage III Extreme! Of course CPU and RAM are both overclocked. My RAM though isn't all that good and only runs at around 845MHz.

post #9058 of 12360 Old 09-03-2011, 08:32 PM
AMD Overclocker

As part of the study on CHKDSK I mentioned earlier, I took the time to secure erase and reflash firmware from 2.11 down to 2.09 on my SSD. Previously I had reported stability issues.

I'm happy to say I have SATA-2 speeds back and WEI is reading 7.4 again.

I hope that when OCZ releases their next firmware update to provide better support for Nvidia chipsets, it will clear up some of the messiness in the graph.

post #9059 of 12360 Old 09-04-2011, 07:02 AM
733mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8sho;14813727 
Nothing but nothing will make CHKDSK run under Windows 7 on either of the 4 disks I have. 5 if you count the 30G drive I ran on the IDE cable. Most of the the later tests were performed using the W7 install DVD recovery command prompt. But I may have mentioned that already. I should also say that most of this testing was done after ensuring CMOS was cleared just as an extra precaution.

I did try downgrading the BIOS to 2209 but that didn't seem to make any difference.

Of course booting into Window XP recovery console and CHKDSK works just fine. I said that too.

I'm starting to get concerned there is something wrong with my board, or at least W7 seems to think so. When booting from the W7 install disk and before it brings up the locale screen, it takes a very long time as if it's stalling on something.

Until I get my new board, I'm leaning towards that evo that Gyro has, I'll just continue to run as is.

I still think the problem is in Windows itself, not the nforce 590 controller.
That SSD benchmark looks a bit strange though.
One thing that I highly recommend that you do is some basic testing in Linux to see if you get any error messages when copying files back and fourth. Linux usually give plenty of feedback when things go wrong, so any problems with nforce SATA controller should be easy to spot.
Feel free to ask questions if need help with this.

post #9060 of 12360 Old 09-04-2011, 09:25 AM
AMD Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSwizz;14817262 
I still think the problem is in Windows itself, not the nforce 590 controller.
That SSD benchmark looks a bit strange though.
One thing that I highly recommend that you do is some basic testing in Linux to see if you get any error messages when copying files back and fourth. Linux usually give plenty of feedback when things go wrong, so any problems with nforce SATA controller should be easy to spot.
Feel free to ask questions if need help with this.

I have a dialog going on with Microsoft, so let's see where that goes.

The SSD benchmark issue I attribute to the newness of these series 3 drivers with Sandforce controller, and getting the firmware to play with Nvidia chipsets at all. It seems that the Apple community is in an uproar over this as well. So until I get a version of the firmware that OCZ states is thoroughly testing with Nvidia controllers, I will just have to live with it this way.

As for Linux, I actually have a bootable CD but I don't think it's usable for the purpose you describe. It was built specifically to allow firmware updates to the SSD. If there's some other way to do this experimentation with Linux, let me know. I may need to buy another disk just to have a spare for this type of work.

But I see no issues in windows 7. WEI (windows experience index) runs a nice 7.4. Overall system responsiveness is just a shade less than the 2010 vintage Rampage III extreme i7 system my son has.

There has been so much fuss over Nvidia chipsets that I've read lately, coupled with the fact they have gotten out of this business that has me a bit gun-shy now to buy another board with that stuff in it. Sort of the way it was with VIA chipsets years ago on Intel machines.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page