Need help Motherboard or Psu problem ?? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 11-16-2009, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
733mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
hi newbie here , just newly register .Hoping my problem can be solve with all experience member.Sorry if I had post on a wrong thread.

My problem start half a year ago.My pc acting weird , once I start my power button , the pc component including fan starts and run but there's no post , no signal to the monitor , hard disk doesn't read and power button's light wasn't on either.Only fans are running , no beeping sound.

The weird part is , after I off the main switch and tried again , it start back well with post and I am able to login to window xp.First few months I am able to start by trying on and off the power switch but now it getting worst.I need to press like 10 tries to be able to start the pc.

Like , on main switch , press power button , if pc not running , going through back main switch.

I tried unplug all the component and fix back.Tried taking out graphic card , hard disk and ram.It doesn't post.

I suspect more on motherboard rather than power supply because , my window xp doesn't automatically goes to stay by mode even I had set it to.

Motherboard : M2A-vm
Processor : AMD x2 4000+
Power supply : Silverstone ST50

I never OC my pc before .Now hoping forum member could help me with it.Thank you very much

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 11-16-2009, 06:35 AM
Semi-Retired OCer

Liked: 603
Fill in your sig specs, and take everything out of the case and prepare for workbench mode.

post #3 of 31 Old 11-16-2009, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
733mhz

Sorry new here , How do I fill the spec ? and how to prepare workbench mode ?Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 11-16-2009, 12:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6212
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnf View Post
Sorry new here , How do I fill the spec ? and how to prepare workbench mode ?Thank you
Filling in your "sig specs" means that you can fill in your system specifications so that they automatically appear in your signature just like it does for the rest of us. So, to do that, follow these instructions:
  1. Click User CP on the black bar at the top.
  2. Click Edit System on the left side.
  3. When you're finished, click Save Changes at the bottom.
Almost everything you filled out will automatically appear in your signature.

Regarding preparing for "workbench mode", he was just making a tongue-in-cheek statement. Basically, he thinks it's time to prepare for a bit of work on your computer where you take it all apart and begin testing it and troubleshooting.

Semi-Classic Firefox Add-ons Manager (CSS script)

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.

post #5 of 31 Old 11-17-2009, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter
733mhz

Did that , so what else I should do next ?
I tried taking out all component , switching the casing but still can't find an answer.

Lack of extra power supply to test would be my main problem.

post #6 of 31 Old 11-17-2009, 07:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6212
Hmm. I just remembered that something similar to this happened to a friend's computer, and it turned out that several of the capacitors on his motherboard were bulging. It's like they were trying to explode.

So, can you examine your motherboard to see if anything looks odd?

Semi-Classic Firefox Add-ons Manager (CSS script)

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.

post #7 of 31 Old 11-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Support

Liked: 394
Quote:
Did that , so what else I should do next ?
I tried taking out all component , switching the casing but still can't find an answer.

Lack of extra power supply to test would be my main problem.
Ocnf, welcome to Overclock.net.

Did you remove all of the components from your case and place them on a non-static surface? This is commonly suggested so that we can eliminate a possible short that may have been caused by a loose stand-off or the computer case itself.

Just to clarify do you have the 4-pin 12volt power cable plugged in? This connector is located at the upper left of the board near the cpu socket.

Do you have a buddy that could possibly loan you a power supply for testing? How about a local pc shop?

Good luck

Terms of Service

Originally Posted by txtmstrjoe:
"Steppings merely indicate possible outcomes due to the law of averages being in your favor."
post #8 of 31 Old 11-18-2009, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
733mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Hmm. I just remembered that something similar to this happened to a friend's computer, and it turned out that several of the capacitors on his motherboard were bulging. It's like they were trying to explode.

So, can you examine your motherboard to see if anything looks odd?
I am not good on identifying them , but I dont see any rusted bulging caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thlnk3r View Post
Ocnf, welcome to Overclock.net.

Did you remove all of the components from your case and place them on a non-static surface? This is commonly suggested so that we can eliminate a possible short that may have been caused by a loose stand-off or the computer case itself.

Just to clarify do you have the 4-pin 12volt power cable plugged in? This connector is located at the upper left of the board near the cpu socket.

Do you have a buddy that could possibly loan you a power supply for testing? How about a local pc shop?

Good luck
I did try putting on a non-static surface , but still the same.Did try removing all the component parts on a non static surface.
Yep , having a 4-pin 12 volt power cable plugged in well.
This is the main problem , don't have a friend who willing to take out his psu for a day . , hardware pc shop , doubt they will lend for a day.

Just wondering , what's the possibilities of my problem ? mostly cause by ?

post #9 of 31 Old 11-18-2009, 06:32 AM
Clockin' Hz

Liked: 307
post #10 of 31 Old 11-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Tech Support

Liked: 394
Quote:
I am not good on identifying them , but I dont see any rusted bulging caps.
Ocnf, here is an example image that will show you what bulged capacitor will look like: http://406coupe.net/archives/06030801.jpg (right image) the bottom cap is normal but the middle one is starting to bulge.

Quote:
hardware pc shop , doubt they will lend for a day.
I was actually thinking you could take it to them for testing. Some shops are pretty nice about those things. Really though without another PSU to test with it's going to be hard to troubleshoot this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage_Drop View Post
Do you have a multimeter to test the power supply?
Voltage_Drop, great suggestion +1

Ocnf, if you have access to a multimeter and would like to know how to do this then check out this guide. This will show you how to properly check the voltages on each of the rails (12v, 3.3v and 5v).

Good luck

Terms of Service

Originally Posted by txtmstrjoe:
"Steppings merely indicate possible outcomes due to the law of averages being in your favor."

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page